Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Curious: what was your previous car and how does it compare to the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:06 PM
lmsz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

91 Integra GS. Got it for free as a graduation present so I can't complain, but after it wouldn't pass emissions I traded up and haven't looked back. I love my Z!!
Old 08-21-2003, 06:14 AM
99AllTurbo

Previous car: Silver 99 Eclipse GS-t/ black leather. Loved the car. Yeah FWD sucks, but I was used to it and it's a little beast from a roll. Had big16g, 550 injs, bigger fuel pump, AFC, ACT clutch, intake, intercooler piping, ProfecB EBC and ran 13.7@107 on Kuhmos with stk intercooler, 22psi and 110 octane.

Miss the potential the 4G63 has, but the handling sucked. Had Tokico shocks, Eibach springs, front and rear strut bars and my stk Z suspension is much better.

Wish I still had it to race with, but the Z over looks better (although I think the 97-99 Turbo Eclipse were the nicest looking compacts in years, next to my 87 Conquest).

All the Z needs is 2 hair dryers.

Overall, Z > than my previous car.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:17 AM
samors

03 SB 350z
98 Altima
89 240sx
Old 08-21-2003, 09:15 AM
G}{H

My first was a 1981 Malibu classic. Nice comfy air ride, great back seat for all those high school makeout sessions. Windows were tinted 2 layers of Auto Parts store Limo tint (ya know the kind that turns purple after a year). Great Car Just got rid of it about a year ago in perfect running condition.

1997 Tiburon My first new car. It was fun, sporty and not to slow. But again folks this was a Hyundai. It was a rolling stereo with over $3,000.00 of equipment bolted under the seats, and in the hatch.

Note: I will be getting this car back in a few weeks as a beater car for the winter. I'm looking forward to getting all my stereo stuff back .

2001 Chevy Impala (aka Da pimp mobile) Originally bought when I was married, it turned into my Limo for my buds when we all went out hunting women, after my separation. It served it's purpose well and was of course hooked up with Rims, stereo, and tinted out. It was also great for my summer Mountain biking activities, as you can see below.

It lost it's luster after driving my friends BMW 325i sport. My impala became wishy washy no pep, and NO FUN!!

1 Week later I am sitting in the nicest car I have ever owned. Fell in love on the test drive and did not want to go home with out her.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:04 AM
w mitty

98 M Roadster - Roadster was much faster but did not handle as well. Rear end tended to snap loose. The fit and finish on the BMW was better. I like the gearing on the Z much better. The Z is a more refined drive. The M was a brute.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:26 AM
MarkoBarko

lol..TXSTYLE likes his bling. Nice wheels...

Before the Z i had

94 Firebird Formula

Which was successfully smashed into bits by a Ford truck with me in it. That Ford vs. GM rivalry is getting out of hand

I miss the fact that you could hit the gas pedal at 1.5K RPM and it would still snap your neck back
Old 08-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Z-Desperado

I had an Altima 3.5 SE and use to belong to a site of Altima owners. Some of them are still convinced that they can out run the new 350Z. I used my G-Tech on both vehicles and the Z is defiantly faster. The die-hard Altima owner will not accept this fact so watch out for some crazy guy in an Altima trying to blow your doors off just look at them in the rear view mirror.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Balls

2000 Integra Type R #1027 w/AEM CAI - STOLEN.
The R was much better at communicating. I was more in touch with the car. More purpose built than the Z. When I drive the Z, I feel happy... like I am having fun by driving fast and near the limit. When I drove the R, there was a sense of urgency. I felt intent on driving fast and near the limit. I like babying the Z whereas the R I enjoyed beating on. If memory serves correctly I believe there were only three or four times after break in, that I actually went somewhere in that car without redlining it. Oddly, it seems to yearn to be driven fast more than the driver wants to drive it fast. My only comforts of having that car stolen were:

A) I believe I was a little too hard on the engine and I was coming up on some major engine work.
B) Even though I had it for such a short time, I drove it hard every day and it was a blast.
C) New Car

I like the Z just as much as I did the R. I came from the dealership with the same retarded smile on my face both times. But they're different. The differences I'm talking about are not tangible but they are uncanny. I don't drive the Z as hard as I did the R. I never looked at the R nearly as much as I do the Z. When the R was stolen, it had a cracked front lip, a damaged left door panel, damage on the rear bumper, dings to kingdom come, chips out of the hood and windshield from various road debris and I had no intentions of fixing any of that. The exterior of the Z is much more precious to me. I admit that I'm not too keen on washing it very often but it only took a bit of arm twisting from some friends to make me realize that zaino is a good thing. Anyway (!), this is obviously going to go on forever so I'll stop by summing it all up in one line:

The R was like a "Get out of Jail Free" card, where the Z is like throwing doubles on your first try.

Some things are more rewarding than others.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:03 PM
mdacko

had an 00 BMW 323ci. Not much done to it; clear lights, spoiler, 18" ACS wheels, sounds....but it was an A/T. Much slower than the Z, and way more common. I love the Z 10 times better, plus its got about 100 more HP.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Primaltone

In reverse chronological order, starting with the current:
350Z Track (of course):
incredible handling, very capable engine, and good looks. It makes me like driving again.

'01 Eclipse GT 5 spd:
good looks, decent power; unbearable torque steer; lifeless steering response; unpredictable, non-confidence inspiring handling; I learned that FWD is great in the snow, but otherwise, I hated FWD - the only car I've ever given up that was in pristine condition. I don't miss it that much.

'89 240SX:
very flickable, predictable handling that inspired confidence; a bit too much body roll; a bit down on power; missed not having a LSD; didn't run too well with blown head gasket

'82 RX-7 - the love of my life:
go kart, grip the road like a magnet, but slightly nervous handling on rough roads; a bit sluggish on power; loved the LSD, hated the rust
Old 08-22-2003, 06:28 AM
Justin

Smile

High School - 92 Mazda Protege 4 door.. Red.
College - 96 Dodge Avenger.. Black
Real World - 03 Z Touing.... Super Black
Old 08-22-2003, 10:04 AM
BriA5

I had though this was just suposed to be our 1 previous vehicle, but since everyone is listing more:

'96 Land Rover Discovery - Great Car, when it was not in the shop. Did what it was supposed to do VERY well... best off-road/snow vehicle I have had.

'01 Explorer Sport - bah.. this was a mistake. I liked just about nothing about this car.

'01 Infiniti QX-4 - Loved this car (1st apearance of the VQ engine I believe). Had at the same time as the Explorer above and made the Ford seem even worse than it probably was.

Now I am in my Z. What a change from my SUV-filled past. I drove sports cars fairly frequenly (my father is a car nut too) and got tired of big-arsed vehicles. Needed a change and DEFFINATELY got it! (though I some times miss being able to haul stuff around )
Old 08-22-2003, 12:56 PM
Dizturbed

Traded in a 2000 Sierra X-Cab with a 4" lift and sold my 1969 RS/SS Camaro. The Camaro had nothing to do with getting the Z, but it left the same time I got the Z.

Can't compare the Z to my previous rides. It's a whole different car than what I am used to.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:52 PM
123NissanZ
Banned

1996 Acura NSX
1998 BMW M3
1999 F355
2003 350Z.

I like the 350Z for what it is, a cheap working man's car. It does not compare to the other cars I had, but im not bothered by this fact.

I could never take the F355 to walmart or anything, the back bumper cost about the same as what the Z cost. Any way, the Z handles okay, the power is lacking, and the engine is rough.

The interior is not leather, like the other cars, but its good for sloggin around town, and I save a bundle on insurance.

I have never driven a car in this price range, so I was a little scared. Most of my cars have cost 5-6 times the price of the Z. I didnt know what people would think of me, my girlfriend called me a scrub! Oh well, I like the Z, and I'll keep it a few more months at the very least.

I live in a pretty exclusive neighborhood, and I get some bad looks driving the Z. Security is always giving me the evil eye. I guess it doesnt fit in with the Bentleys and Lambo's, but its okay. I am trying to live a more simple life, ya know. Its nice to have an econo box at least once in your life. Im happy to report the Z serves this purpose well.

Last edited by 123NissanZ; 08-22-2003 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Mikestro

Originally posted by 123NissanZ
1996 Acura NSX
1998 BMW M3
1999 F355
2003 350Z.

I like the 350Z for what it is, a cheap working man's car. It does not compare to the other cars I had, but im not bothered by this fact.

I could never take the F355 to walmart or anything, the back bumper cost about the same as what the Z cost. Any way, the Z handles okay, the power is lacking, and the engine is rough.

The interior is not leather, like the other cars, but its good for sloggin around town, and I save a bundle on insurance.

I have never driven a car in this price range, so I was a little scared. Most of my cars have cost 5-6 times the price of the Z. I didnt know what people would think of me, my girlfriend called me a scrub! Oh well, I like the Z, and I'll keep it a few more months at the very least.

I live in a pretty exclusive neighborhood, and I get some bad looks driving the Z. Security is always giving me the evil eye. I guess it doesnt fit in with the Bentleys and Lambo's, but its okay. I am trying to live a more simple life, ya know. Its nice to have an econo box at least once in your life. Im happy to report the Z serves this purpose well.

123NissanZ=Troll

You are the lamest thing since the Star Wars Kid
Old 08-22-2003, 02:11 PM
123NissanZ
Banned

what is a troll and why am I lame?

Your a pretty nice guy Mike. I am posting to the forum, just like everyone else so lay off.

If you want pictures just give me your email, or tell me how to post them. I'll send everything you want.

I still have the cars, so you want me to hold a sign in front of them with the date?

Not everyone in this world makes 200k per year, some make 4 million. What are the odds that someone of this caliber owns a 350Z? What are the odds that they might like to post on this forum as well?

I am giving you my honest opinion, comparing the Z, to the other cars I have owned. What more do you want?

Lay off dude.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:36 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

1996 Acura NSX
1998 BMW M3
1999 F355
2003 350Z.

YOU POST SOME "BS" LIKE THIS AND THINK WE/350Z Owners ARE GONNA EMBRACE/ACCEPT/APPRECIATE OR WHATEVER OTHER WORD YOU CHOOSE...................NOT!!!
What you wrote is a "Blatant put down and bashing of the Z!

Furthermore, if and that's IF you own such Mega-Buck Cars, Home, Neighborhood, etc. WTF would cause you to buy a car "far" less than what you're used to?
Give us a break! If you are here to appreciate the Z and share your experiences about it, then welcome. If you're here to compare it to Bentley's, Lambo's Ferrari's, etc. while talking shiz about the car for which this site was created....Then MUSH ON!

TX
Old 08-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Z Monster

2001 Audi S4. I bought the Z for handling reasons and weight advantage only. I plan to modify the Z while staying normally aspirated with the goal of attaining the chipped/exhausted S4s power/weight ratio.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:50 PM
Mikestro

1996 Acura NSX
1998 BMW M3
1999 F355
2003 350Z.

His profile says he has a Touring level trim, then his post says the interior is not leather.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:53 PM
G}{H

my girlfriend called me a scrub!

How sad, at least you know where her interests lie...