Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should You Redline Once in a While?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
I hit the rev limiter a few times this past weekend...
God damn street racers
Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 PM
JSDZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04
tell you what. you go and do that deliberately once a week and see how long it takes to cause problems. then come back and report your results
do you actually think that hitting the red line, or even rev limiter, ONCE a week will cause "problems"

your severe lack of car intelligence overwhelms me.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM
GoinsZ

You must be related to this female Audi R8 owner!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjII6CldEqs
Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
foreveryoung

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Dude, your Grandma drives a BMW???

Fine! Yes it can help (in a way). Casual driving can increase the likelyhood that you will have carbon build-up because the engine doesnt get hot enough to sufficiently burn off contaminents that create the build-up.

So redlining it would help get it hot enough to do so. Then again, a nice highway drive would do the same thing and not potentially hurt the engine.
This is not entirely correct.A modern OB2 car runs quite lean and hot at cruising speeds.There is very little excess fuel to cause any carbon build up.Conversely when you peg the throttle,the engine fuel system is commanded pretty much full rich.To answer this poor dudes question,no redlining once and a while will do no damage to your engine.The need to redline once and a while to clean out cobwebs was your grampas fairy tale.it does nothing what so ever.If you redline your car constanly,you will shorten the life of an engine due to excessive overcyling.It is hard on rings due to flutter,its hard on conrods and its hard on valve train.I could go on but you get the point.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSDZ33

so does yours (intelligence that is) since you seemed to have taken that post seriously like the other person did
Old 02-18-2009, 06:04 AM
350z-Jim

Originally Posted by konaforever
Go to the drag racing forum. You lose power before the redline, but you'll be in a better part of the powerband after changing your gear near redline. You're setting yourself up for the next gear.
This isn't true contrary to popular belief. This comes from back in the day kinda like the old story about how cars need back pressure which we all know is also not true.

An engine will accelerate faster at higher RPM even with less power than it will at lower rpm with more power. So shifting at the highest RPM possible even if after the shift you are farther through the powerband sweet spot is still the best and fastest way to drive the car.

All you need to do is take your car to the track and race it. Try a few runs one shifting it at redline and another run shifting lower were ever you think is the "sweet" spot and look at your times.

If you shift at an rpm lower than redline you end up at lower RPM in the next gear and the engine will accelerate more slowly at a lower RPM than a higher one.

Don't take my word for it, talk to anybody who does serious drag racing or try it for your self.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:09 AM
konaforever

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
This isn't true contrary to popular belief. This comes from back in the day kinda like the old story about how cars need back pressure which we all know is also not true.

An engine will accelerate faster at higher RPM even with less power than it will at lower rpm with more power. So shifting at the highest RPM possible even if after the shift you are farther through the powerband sweet spot is still the best and fastest way to drive the car.

All you need to do is take your car to the track and race it. Try a few runs one shifting it at redline and another run shifting lower were ever you think is the "sweet" spot and look at your times.

If you shift at an rpm lower than redline you end up at lower RPM in the next gear and the engine will accelerate more slowly at a lower RPM than a higher one.

Don't take my word for it, talk to anybody who does serious drag racing or try it for your self.
That's what I said. You should shift close to redline as possible. I didn't say to shift at max power. I was disagreeing with the person that said that it's no use shifting at redline since you lose power before that.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 AM
konaforever

Originally Posted by Z04
so does yours (intelligence that is) since you seemed to have taken that post seriously like the other person did
Because your post wasn't serious at all. You're just backtracking now.

You posted that redlining once a week would be bad for you car, then you posted disagreeing with me, then edited your post to demean my knowledge of all things from my past posts, then you say you're not serious about your original point.

Originally Posted by Z04
tell you what. you go and do that deliberately once a week and see how long it takes to cause problems. then come back and report your results
Your original point.

Originally Posted by Z04
the HR was claibrated to accept the higher rev limit because it is a different than the DE. seems you don't know anything about cars either. if you accidentally bump the rev limiter that is fine. doing it just to do it because of some myth about "clearing out the cobwebs" will cause damage.

and for your first sentence, do not make assumptions you know nothing about. i can say that you are wrong.
Your defense of your non serious point.

Originally Posted by Z04
edit: nevermind. after reading the rest of your posts it is obvious to me you have no clue WTF you are even talking about to begin with. go bark up someone else's tree; preferably someone who actually may care what you think
You attacking my knowledge. But I thought you weren't serious?

Thanks for contributing to my sig.

Last edited by konaforever; 02-18-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only redline with I see small animals and deer in the road. The noise makes them runaway and keeps the cobwebs out.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Z04

Because your post wasn't serious at all. You're just backtracking now.

You posted that redlining once a week would be bad for you car, then you posted disagreeing with me, then edited your post to demean my knowledge of all things from my past posts, then you say you're not serious about your original point.

Your original point.

Your defense of your non serious point.

You attacking my knowledge. But I thought you weren't serious?

Thanks for contributing to my sig.

and again, it seems the sarcasm of my post has escaped your level of understanding yet again. you can keep that quote in your sig, it fits you perfectly
Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM
konaforever

Originally Posted by Z04
and again, it seems the sarcasm of my post has escaped your level of understanding yet again. you can keep that quote in your sig, it fits you perfectly
Your sarcasm escape me because there was none. Again, why did you defend your original "sarcastic" point, then attack me?

Some people just can't admit to being wrong.

Last edited by konaforever; 02-18-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
350z-Jim

That's what I said. You should shift close to redline as possible. I didn't say to shift at max power. I was disagreeing with the person that said that it's no use shifting at redline since you lose power before that.
sorry, I misread your post.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Polo08816
Banned

I heard that if you hit the "redline of the redline" your engine will come flying out of your engine bay.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 AM
tanabe350z

Originally Posted by Polo08816
I heard that if you hit the "redline of the redline" your engine will come flying out of your engine bay.
you know i heard this two maybe someone like the OP should try it.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by JSDZ33
do you actually think that hitting the red line, or even rev limiter, ONCE a week will cause "problems"

Who's to say that it won't cause damage?

Need to look at things realistically.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:32 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spork
Who's to say that it won't cause damage?

Need to look at things realistically.
Realistically, hitting redlining wont cause any real damage. The OP wasnt talking about holding it at redline for hours either. The Z is a sports car. Its not a ho hum family car with a engine tuned for comfort and fuel economy. These engines were designed to perform and make power. Also, I am quite certain that nissan engineers place the redline there to prevent hitting really high RPMs where real engine damage would occur.

But if you like babying your engine and not really using the engine for what it was designed to do, that is fine with me too.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Z04

Your sarcasm escape me because there was none. Again, why did you defend your original "sarcastic" point, then attack me?

Some people just can't admit to being wrong.
only attacking i see is coming from you since you felt so compelled to call me out, make assumptions about me when you have no clue WTF you are babbling about to begin with, and add a coment to your sig. but hey, believe what you want.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Spork

Originally Posted by aloh
Realistically, hitting redlining wont cause any real damage. The OP wasnt talking about holding it at redline for hours either. The Z is a sports car. Its not a ho hum family car with a engine tuned for comfort and fuel economy. These engines were designed to perform and make power. Also, I am quite certain that nissan engineers place the redline there to prevent hitting really high RPMs where real engine damage would occur.

But if you like babying your engine and not really using the engine for what it was designed to do, that is fine with me too.
I understand that, but who's to say that it is absolutely harmless? Know what I mean?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
ZR_Yancy

I can't seem to hit redline on 6th. How do you guys pull it off?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
kyx4n

^ either use crayon to redraw the tachometer...

or put it into 6th gear, rev to redline, then drop the clutch

Quick Reply: Should You Redline Once in a While?