Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pretty bad start to my weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 AM
russelh15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pretty bad start to my weekend.

Its like 80 degrees today, so i decided ill drive my car to work today. Usually i just cruise around in it on nights and weekends. So im driving to work and im like about 5miles away from my job when all of a sudden i lose pressure in my clutch peddle. Immediately, i think to myself "ahhh ****, not again. Not now!!"

So i pull over to the side and park up. I already know what's wrong, my slave cylinder has failed for the 2nd time.

I ordered a spec super twin about a month ago and installed it, however i didnt change my slave cylinder since i figured it'd still be good because i only have 19k on the car. So 2 weeks after installation im driving and my clutch peddle loses pressure and all my brakes fluid leaks out. So i open up the transmission and saw that the slave cylinder popped. I call up spec and explain to them, they're shitty tech rep told me i shouldve bought a new slave cylinder during installation and put it in. So im like ok, maybe thats the problem.

I installed the new slave and here i am now. In the same exact situation, except today im missing a day of work and i have to dish out money for a tow truck. Im convinced now that the stock slave is incapable of handling the pressure from Spec's SuperTwin. Im going to call up Spec later and explain to them. I dont want their clutch system anymore, hopefully i can return it or something. This just sucks ***.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by russelh15
Its like 80 degrees today, so i decided ill drive my car to work today. Usually i just cruise around in it on nights and weekends. So im driving to work and im like about 5miles away from my job when all of a sudden i lose pressure in my clutch peddle. Immediately, i think to myself "ahhh ****, not again. Not now!!"

So i pull over to the side and park up. I already know what's wrong, my slave cylinder has failed for the 2nd time.

I ordered a spec super twin about a month ago and installed it, however i didnt change my slave cylinder since i figured it'd still be good because i only have 19k on the car. So 2 weeks after installation im driving and my clutch peddle loses pressure and all my brakes fluid leaks out. So i open up the transmission and saw that the slave cylinder popped. I call up spec and explain to them, they're shitty tech rep told me i shouldve bought a new slave cylinder during installation and put it in. So im like ok, maybe thats the problem.

I installed the new slave and here i am now. In the same exact situation, except today im missing a day of work and i have to dish out money for a tow truck. Im convinced now that the stock slave is incapable of handling the pressure from Spec's SuperTwin. Im going to call up Spec later and explain to them. I dont want their clutch system anymore, hopefully i can return it or something. This just sucks ***.

A twin disc requires less pressure from the hydraulic clutch system than a high load single disc would. It sounds like you may be getting too much travel on the slave cylinder. Did you install a clutch pedal stop when installing the clutch? On our twin disc clutches this is required to prevent over-travel of the system (which would blow out the slave cylinder).

If you do not have a pedal stop installed I would ask SPEC if they require one for their twin plate assemblies. We include a stop with all of our twin disc assemblies and will not warranty them if the stop is not installed.

I suspect that this may be causing your problems.
The following users liked this post:
Tran251 (09-25-2019)
Old 04-30-2010, 05:52 AM
gofaster87

^^^^ Is the "over travel" using a multi plate disk a problem specific to the Z because Ive never had this problem on my Evo or RX-7.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 AM
russelh15

Interesting, ive never heard about that. Ill do more research on it to get a better idea. Im going to call up Spec and ask them to see what the deal is. Thanks for that very useful information.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol.....what? I have never heard about a "travel" issue. You can always adjust the travel from the pedal itself regardless. Are you properly bleeding the system and double checking nothing is leaking from lines? I am surprised no one ever suspect that the parts are defective. That may be the issue.

A similar issue i had once with a G was the inner pin that pushes the fork had broken on the guy from god knows what. Caused the same issue after testing every other part. That was his problem.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 04-30-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 AM
duro78

is it really necessary to quote a post especially a long post at that when your the first person to reply to it
Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Dr. Venture

^ lol..sponsors for you.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gofaster87
^^^^ Is the "over travel" using a multi plate disk a problem specific to the Z because Ive never had this problem on my Evo or RX-7.
It is design specific, we don't carry SPEC clutches so I don't know 100% that this could be an issue with theirs. I know that our manufacturer requires a pedal stop to limit the amount of travel to prevent damage to both the clutch and the hydraulics.

Interesting, ive never heard about that. Ill do more research on it to get a better idea. Im going to call up Spec and ask them to see what the deal is. Thanks for that very useful information.
Yeah, I would check with them on it and see what they say.

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
lol.....what? I have never heard about a "travel" issue. You can always adjust the travel from the pedal itself regardless. Are you properly bleeding the system and double checking nothing is leaking from lines? I am surprised no one ever suspect that the parts are defective. That may be the issue.

A similar issue i had once with a G was the inner pin that pushes the fork had broken on the guy from god knows what. Caused the same issue after testing every other part. That was his problem.
You can adjust the pedal, yes, but the issue I am referring to comes from having too much pedal travel which will allow it to over extend the slave cylinder. Again, his SPEC clutch may not be designed the same way but the diaphragm design on our twin plate clutches is such that the engage / disengage point is very high on the pedal and by continuing to press the pedal further it will cause damage to the clutch and slave cylinder.

Originally Posted by duro78
is it really necessary to quote a post especially a long post at that when your the first person to reply to it
Meh, might as well.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Dr. Venture

having installed a few clutches thus far i have never run into that problem at all. Specially if everything is adjusted right and the pedal as well. From any brand or design. You would think that the people who make the clutches factor in the factory design especially by now in order to not have a problem like that. Unless it was installed wrongly.

But what i am thinking is one of the following. Either the part or parts are defective or somewhere along the lines there is a small leak that causes a loss of psi. I would Rebleed the system top and bottom and then road test it to make sure.

I mean he states himself that "all his break fluid leaked out"....So the # 1 thing to do is narrow down where the leak is coming from.

Who installed the clutch anyway? you or a shop?

And btw is your car running over 700 whp? because i think that is what those clutches are designed for, am i right?
http://www.lmperformance.com/spec.asp

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 04-30-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:49 AM
russelh15

well actually Bryan, you were right. The piston comes out too far when the clutch is pressed and that's how the seal is broken, well that's what I was told. So i think we're going to have to adjust the stopper behind the clutch pedal so that the piston does not come out so far.

My dad's shop installed the clutch, and is doing all the repairs. My car is far from 700whp, but I plan to go FI soon and I needed a new clutch, so I purchased this one.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Dr. Venture

hmm...they probably should have told you about this kind of adjustment from the get go. When you purchased.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

well actually Bryan, you were right. The piston comes out too far when the clutch is pressed and that's how the seal is broken, well that's what I was told. So i think we're going to have to adjust the stopper behind the clutch pedal so that the piston does not come out so far.

My dad's shop installed the clutch, and is doing all the repairs. My car is far from 700whp, but I plan to go FI soon and I needed a new clutch, so I purchased this one.
That sounded like the issue from your original post. The amount of travel required on a multi-disc is much less than that of a standard design clutch. Glad to see you guys got it worked out.

This is the install sheet for our twin disc, this may not be the same procedure and specifications as what SPEC will recommend but this should give you some idea what to look for in terms of travel and stop-point.

Z1 Twin Disc Install Guide

Last edited by bryan@Z1; 05-04-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
russelh15

Thank you. Appreciate the advice sir.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:23 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thank you. Appreciate the advice sir.
No problem.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:15 AM
russelh15

Failed me again on Saturday. Didn't open up the transmission yet, but that same thing occured. Lost pressure in my clutch pedal, and brake fluid started leaking from the transmission. This is getting so annoying. I'm really considering switching back to OEM :-\
Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Failed me again on Saturday. Didn't open up the transmission yet, but that same thing occured. Lost pressure in my clutch pedal, and brake fluid started leaking from the transmission. This is getting so annoying. I'm really considering switching back to OEM :-\

Damn, that sucks man. Did you install a pedal stop after the last failure? The factory stop doesn't have enough adjustment on it to effectively limit the travel on a twin plate from our experience.
The following users liked this post:
Tran251 (09-25-2019)