Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

weird day in the Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 02:15 AM
longbowe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face weird day in the Z

First, I was rear-ended while going to dinner with my friend. It was a VW. Some Chinese girl driving it. Apparently she was picking up a phone call when she rear-ended me. *ouch* Fortunately, there was no damage, and all I did was ask her for some napkins to wipe off the dust. All things considered, I was pretty calm. My friend was surprised. She said she would've ripped the other driver a new one. I did lecture her, though, on paying attention.

And then, as I was coming home from a party, a little bit buzzed, I got raced by a Camaro. I was a little less inhibited, so I took the bait. I never really went above what I knew/felt to be safe (based on reaction from Icy Z), but definitely above the speed limit, because I was still concerned about safety. He did drop off a coupla times due to traffic, but came roaring back, and passed me. He then gave me the hazards, which I echoed as a way of acknowledging that he did, in fact beat me, even though I'm sure he knew I didn't drive Icy Z to her limits. It didn't matter, though, since I was about to get off at the next exit. Otherwise, I might've been tempted to at least show him up one more time before "letting him win".

In retrospect, I'm glad that, although I took the first bait, I didn't let pride get to me, and instead went straight home.

Last edited by longbowe; 11-08-2003 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:03 AM
RitchieZ

camaro...... did he have fuzzy dice hanging on his rear veiw mirror?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:03 AM
RitchieZ

that was my cousin RAUL...lol
Old 11-08-2003, 04:12 AM
LBSOHK

its always good to see people driving 125 + a little bit buzzed , you're the coolest !
Old 11-08-2003, 07:48 AM
zeroday

wow i actually think i may have lost a few IQ points reading that.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Beamm

Originally posted by lbsohk1
its always good to see people driving 125 + a little bit buzzed , you're the coolest !
Agreed...why do so many people on this board want to drive their high performance car while drunk and then recount the story to the rest of us? It won't be so cool when someone gets hurt
Old 11-08-2003, 10:27 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-08-2003, 12:42 PM
jimster716

u sure she was Chinese? Cuz we asians looks a lot alike though I can see why you needed to describe the nationality of the driver. lmao.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Fast281

First of all if I "saw" no damage I would still get all her info just incase. And you earn the dumba$$ of the day award for "Going 125 a little buzzed" You sir can take your "Icy Z" can drive straight to hell. We don’t need dumbasses like you on the road.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:48 PM
longbowe

jimster716: I know she's Chinese because I'm Chinese, and she wasn't one of the ones that's hard to tell.

everyone else: Thanks for the concern guys. :lol: The buzz wasn't that bad (it didn't affect my judgement and motor skills, but definitely was enough to loosen inhibitions), but the reason I didn't go faster was because I knew what state I was in, and I wasn't about to let anything stupid happen. I distinctly said above that I "took the bait", meaning I'm well aware that it wasn't the smartest thing to do. I guess I was hoping for some, "Dude, you could've been hurt!" instead of insults like what Fast281 spat out.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:55 PM
momentum

Hey, longbowe, are you sure there was no damage? I was rear-ended by a motor cycle picking up from a STOP sign, hence, at low speed. At first glance, there did not seem to be any damage either until I washed the car the next day. It was then I noticed a dent in the rear bumper where he hit me. Barely noticeable, but there nonetheless. Lucky I got the motor cyclist's insurance co. name. They ended up flipping the bill for C$700 to repair the dent.

You might want to check your bumper again. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:15 PM
bobS

Originally posted by longbowe
jimster716: I know she's Chinese because I'm Chinese, and she wasn't one of the ones that's hard to tell.

everyone else: Thanks for the concern guys. :lol: The buzz wasn't that bad (it didn't affect my judgement and motor skills, but definitely was enough to loosen inhibitions), but the reason I didn't go faster was because I knew what state I was in, and I wasn't about to let anything stupid happen. I distinctly said above that I "took the bait", meaning I'm well aware that it wasn't the smartest thing to do. I guess I was hoping for some, "Dude, you could've been hurt!" instead of insults like what Fast281 spat out.
No one is going to feel sorry for u if your drinking....."dude u could have been hurt"? Are you looking for attention? I'm confused to why u started this thread. Every driver that goes on the road drunk obviously thinks "the buzz isn't that bad" and "won't let anything stupid happen" and thats how they end up killing people. Also think of it this way, what if someone rear ended you and messed up your car. Even though it was thier fault the fact that u are buzzed will screw you.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Fast281

Originally posted by longbowe

You want sympath for driving intoxicated ? No drunk gets in their car and says "Gee im too drunk to drive, i know ill hurt someone, goto jail, loose my car. But hey its ok" They all say "Its not that bad" just like what you said. Im sorry moron but if your looking for sympathy goto a AA board. If you hit me or anyone i knew while you were drunk i would take it out on you BEFORE i called the cops.

See that guy ? He crashed right in front of my house. The only reason he didnt come crashing into my living room was because he hit a car parked outside and flipped. When i pulled him out you know what he said "Im not drunk just a little buzzed" So you know what *** wipe next time you drink and you know your even a LITTLE buzzed take a cab. Because if you ever hit anyone i love and care for you'll wish you did.

PS Sorry for the bad quality pics it was taken with a phone camera.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Beamm

Last winter, between X-mas and New Years there were two snowmobilers up by my house in northern MI. They both had a couple beers and were going to head out. The one guy said 'nah...I'm just a little buzzed' and proceeded to show everyone that his motor skills were fine.

He got into a little pissing contest outside the bar. They decided to race snowmobiles up the street which is perfectly straight for something like .7-.8 miles or so. At the end of that street is a small curve that drops off into a valley cut by a small creek (used to be a larger river) which is where my house is. He missed the turn while racing the other guy, shot into the air and hit a tree where he was more or less decapitated. Since they went past my house I heard them and I ran out to see...quite possibly the most disgusting thing I've ever seen -- I wont post a pic because it was so awful. Just goes to show that even though nobody thought his motor skills were affected, they were.

This just goes to show how we need to do something about the driving age and drinking age in this country...this is the only place in the world (that I've been to) where someone would think this type of action was OK and would look for sympathy in 'dude you coulda been hurt'.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Loaner

I am one of those people you talk about. Happened three years ago and man I still think about it. Got pulled over for display of speed in CA and my finacee (wife) was so embarassed. We took an oath never to drink and drive again and it has been great. It amazes me and her when out on the road how many f'ing drunks like you are out their. Boys it is not worth it......ever....ever...ever!
Old 11-08-2003, 05:10 PM
rouxeny

I read this stat somewhere once.

After midnight, 1 out of 10 drivers on the road is under the influence.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:11 PM
longbowe

Originally posted by momentum
You might want to check your bumper again. Just a suggestion.
Yeah, I'm gonna check it again tomorrow. I slept in late today, and it's raining outside now and kinda dark, so I doubt I can really see anything. I'll update this thread when I'm more sure.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:19 PM
longbowe

Originally posted by bobS
No one is going to feel sorry for u if your drinking....."dude u could have been hurt"? Are you looking for attention? I'm confused to why u started this thread. Every driver that goes on the road drunk obviously thinks "the buzz isn't that bad" and "won't let anything stupid happen" and thats how they end up killing people. Also think of it this way, what if someone rear ended you and messed up your car. Even though it was thier fault the fact that u are buzzed will screw you.
I guess humor doesn't carry across the medium very well. How about I try to say it in flatter word that (hopefully) aren't so open to different interpretations.

I'm not looking for attention. I posted cuz I wanted to share, particularly about the being rear-ended, and the fact that I was able to retain enough sense to realize that I was going too fast in a situation that, while it didn't seem from my position to be dangerous at the time, definitely added up to something that I'd rather not find out the conclusion to. If I'm seeking attention at all, it's for a friendly admonishment, and not being insulted. It's enough that I realized which direction things could've gone, and chose not to go that way.

I don't disagree with anyone who says it was a dumb thing to have even gotten involved with to begin with, but I do not appreciate being insulted. But let him cast the first stone who's never done anything boneheaded in his life, you know?

By the way, that same night, on the way to the party, an M3 (I think it was an E36) tried to get me to race. I didn't. Well, it was on El Camino, where the speed limit is 35mph and there are a lot of lights, and in any case I was looking for the hotel that the party was being held at.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:26 PM
longbowe

Originally posted by Loaner
I am one of those people you talk about. Happened three years ago and man I still think about it. Got pulled over for display of speed in CA and my finacee (wife) was so embarassed. We took an oath never to drink and drive again and it has been great. It amazes me and her when out on the road how many f'ing drunks like you are out their. Boys it is not worth it......ever....ever...ever!
Yeah, I know it's not worth it, which is why I always take some precautions, such as making sure to get some caffeine and/or water in me during the hour or so that I wait between the last drink and getting behind the wheel. I'm sure this isn't enough for some, but I'm not about to swear off enjoyment of life for the sake of a sterile notion of safety. I'm going to enjoy life, but stay responsible within my limits. If I'd've had two more drinks, for example, I definitely would've spent the night at the hotel instead.

Like I said, I wanted to stress that I chose not to continue to be a bonehead, and let the Camaro go, while I went straight home.

Fast281, thanks for using asterisks this time, that's all I ask, man. I didn't know your close encounter; I totally understand why you're so worked up about it. But reproach rather than outright hostility may be more persuasive. Although that picture was most persuasive of all.

I think I should invest in some flame-retardant.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:25 PM
bobS

Its just that drunk driving touches a lot of people and always in a negative way, i can see how u didn't mean to offend people and thought it may be a little overboard to start outright insulting you, but most of the people that were angry, had stories of what can happen when things go wrong. I for one lost 2 friends to drunk driving in highschool. Both incidents were totally avoidable had the driver decided not to get behind the wheel. I am willing to bet u haven't had any experience with losing someone to drunk driving (this is an assumption). If this is true you should consider yourself lucky.

Quick Reply: weird day in the Z