Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 AM
aduke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'89 Volvo 740 - was 16, was my mom's, she got something else... at some point I hit a deer and totaled it

'86 Volvo 240 - probably was 17, maybe 18 when I got it. after the deer. broke down endlessly.

'89 Volvo 740 - 19 when I got it, exact same model/make/color as the first one, drove it until I was maybe 22

'95 Volvo 940 turbo - got this at 22 probably, drove it until I traded it in a week or two ago with 250k miles on it for $750

04 touring Z - well, I graduated from law school, passed the bar, got a sweet job and bought myself a real car. I'm 24.

How is this any more or less legit than anybody else? Again, why does anybody car whether somebody has a car given to them or not, or whether they earned it, or drove enough crappy cars before? Would I have rather gotten a Z (or something like it) right off the bat? Obviously. Would I buy one for my 17 year old kid? Probably not, they'd probably wreck it. Do I give a crap if other 17 year old kids are driving the same car as me? Absolutely not. I imagine there are kids driving much nicer cars than me. My coworkers for the most part drive nicer, or at least more expensive, cars than me.

I mean really, who cares? I can't believe there are 117 pages of this stuff. Did you guys really buy a Z so you could be cooler than the 17 year olds who can't afford them? I bought mine cause I think its a sweet car and its fun to drive, not to prove that I am cooler than a bunch of high schoolers.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:06 AM
batousai

First of all, the reason this post is here makes me wonder whether this whole thing is an ego trip. I believe some take offense to kids having a Z as their first car. The real reason behind anyone being pissed or envious of a 17 year old driving a Z should really only pertain to the kids' ability to handle the car. There are some kids that drive way better than 30 year old drivers. It's a fact. Some people have it, others don't.

You don't have to be 17 to drive like an as$hole. I've seen plenty of adults in sportscars that I want off the road.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Grizzle

Got a 97 Eclipse GS when i was 16 and had it since i got my Z at 20.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by batousai
First of all, the reason this post is here makes me wonder whether this whole thing is an ego trip. I believe some take offense to kids having a Z as their first car. The real reason behind anyone being pissed or envious of a 17 year old driving a Z should really only pertain to the kids' ability to handle the car. There are some kids that drive way better than 30 year old drivers. It's a fact. Some people have it, others don't.

You don't have to be 17 to drive like an as$hole. I've seen plenty of adults in sportscars that I want off the road.
So we should be happy that a kid's parents hand them the keys to a 350Z?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Argg, internet raging double post.

Last edited by Hexxus; 04-09-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Hexxus

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
Tuning is a different story, but you can easily save half the cost of a project doing it yourself.
Like Spork said, do you think a 17 or 18 year old is going to be able to mod a VQ35? Neither are they going to have $25,000 unless it's from mummy and daddies wallet.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 AM
kyx4n

this is so true..

a week ago i was at an intersection (4 way stop), and a 370z came from the left, i waved at the man, he just floored the f*ck out of the new Z, what an assh*le

but then again.. the proportion on people<20 that act like idiots is much higher than those >20
Old 04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
batousai

Originally Posted by Spork
So we should be happy that a kid's parents hand them the keys to a 350Z?
If the kid knows how to drive it well and doesn't act like schmuck on the road, what does it matter anyway? It's all about responsibility. Just because we didn't have it that way when we were 17, isn't grounds for hating on them.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Spork

If the kid knows how to drive it well and doesn't act like schmuck on the road, what does it matter anyway? It's all about responsibility. Just because we didn't have it that way when we were 17, isn't grounds for hating on them.
It's all about responsibility... The parents are irresponsible in that they hand their undeserving child a sports car. What makes this child deserving of it? If he/she is responsible enough to understand the idea of buying the car themselves when they can comfortably afford it.

Taking out the trash, getting decent grades, and participating in school sports do not make a child "responsible."
Old 04-09-2009, 11:51 AM
batousai

It's all about responsibility... The parents are irresponsible in that they hand their undeserving child a sports car. What makes this child deserving of it? If he/she is responsible enough to understand the idea of buying the car themselves when they can comfortably afford it.

Taking out the trash, getting decent grades, and participating in school sports do not make a child "responsible."
What about this really gets to you? A 17 year old who paid/ is paying off his/her own Z or a 17 year old that had mommy and daddy hand them the keys? ....or is it 17 year olds in a Z period? Seems like you never were 17.

I feel that a lot of us out here owned our Zs or justified getting one based on our own "can we afford it" guidelines. Just because you have your own standards doesn't mean it applies to others. That being said, there's no this is wrong or that is right. 17 year olds these days make a lot more than they used too...(at least before September 2008).

There's a History channel special called The 7 Deadly Sins. Some of you better check out Envy.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Spork

What about this really gets to you? A 17 year old who paid/ is paying off his/her own Z or a 17 year old that had mommy and daddy hand them the keys? ....or is it 17 year olds in a Z period? Seems like you never were 17.

I feel that a lot of us out here owned our Zs or justified getting one based on our own "can we afford it" guidelines. Just because you have your own standards doesn't mean it applies to others. That being said, there's no this is wrong or that is right. 17 year olds these days make a lot more than they used too...(at least before September 2008).

There's a History channel special called The 7 Deadly Sins. Some of you better check out Envy.

Read my post again, and answer that yourself.

There's a difference between buying a car yourself and being content with your purchase... and having a car handed to you by your parents, which you then go around bragging about how you bought the car yourself and deserve it.

To be honest, if all younger, stupid kids would kill themselves off, I'd say give them all 600+rwhp cars. I'd love to see this world without the leeching losers relying on their parents to hand them every damn thing.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Tunismo

2003 Honda civic SI (still have it)
2008 nissan 350z
Old 04-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Legacy406

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg

EDIT: this says "Suck my dick Salvatorey you guido f4ggot a$$ jizz bucket.

- Hraes
That screams hairy arm chop
Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 PM
batousai

".. having a car handed to you by your parents, which you then go around bragging about how you bought the car yourself and deserve it."
Seems to me you're pissed about kids that get these cars, mod them and brag about it. So it's obviously fine if they purchase it themselves, no? That would mean they bought it and are satisfied with their purchase as described in your last post. Case solved?

Otherwise....what's the right age to justify buying a sportscar? Let's hear it.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Spork

Seems to me you're pissed about kids that get these cars, mod them and brag about it. So it's obviously fine if they purchase it themselves, no? That would mean they bought it and are satisfied with their purchase as described in your last post. Case solved?

Otherwise....what's the right age to justify buying a sportscar? Let's hear it.
Yeah, I'm pissed about kids that get these cars, mod them with their parents money and brag about it

Point me to a 17-year old kid that bought the car with his own money, pays the payments and insurance, and tastefully mods it without using cheap parts. I won't even care if he lives at home.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
batousai

They posted on the earlier pages...I'm sure more of them will below this..
Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Spork

Link their posts. Also, link the proof that their not claiming to be paying it off with their own earning when in fact they're actually only paying half or nothing at all.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Hexxus

The point is, these kids are NOT buying the cars on their own. Mommy and Daddy have to be co-signing. No way in hell are they getting loans on their own at 17 or 18 for the amount for a 350Z. Coming in here and lying to us is a big part of the problem. Also, we've been 17 and 18 and we know how kids drive. Myself being a firefighter, there is NO ****ing way I'd be letting a 17 or 18 year old behind the wheel of a 350Z, given what I've seen what they've done with Mommy's van wrapped around a tree or Daddy's Ford Ranger off an embankment.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09066/953912-455.stm
There is the most recent fatal we've done. Three teens killed because they took Mom's Dodge Intrepid 110mph around a turn, over an embankment, and into a river. Shows a whole lot of a lack of responsibility. That's why there shouldn't be 17 and 18 year olds owning G35's and 350Z's. We see constantly what kids do with your common everyday vehicle. I sit at my shop and watch stupid kids, 16-20 years old in Civics, Integras, and Neons fly by like out of control morons everyday, doing 60-80mph through a residential neighborhood, and I just shake my head because these kids want Evo's and 350Z's. Who knows who they are going to hurt or kill next if they get their hands on one.

Last edited by Hexxus; 04-09-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
batousai

Originally Posted by Hexxus
The point is, these kids are NOT buying the cars on their own. Mommy and Daddy have to be co-signing. No way in hell are they getting loans on their own at 17 or 18 for the amount for a 350Z. Coming in here and lying to us is a big part of the problem. Also, we've been 17 and 18 and we know how kids drive. Myself being a firefighter, there is NO ****ing way I'd be letting a 17 or 18 year old behind the wheel of a 350Z, given what I've seen what they've done with Mommy's van wrapped around a tree or Daddy's Ford Ranger off an embankment.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09066/953912-455.stm
There is the most recent fatal we've done. Three teens killed because they took Mom's Dodge Intrepid 110mph around a turn, over an embankment, and into a river. Shows a whole lot of a lack of responsibility. That's why there shouldn't be 17 and 18 year olds owning G35's and 350Z's. We see constantly what kids do with your common everyday vehicle. I sit at my shop and watch stupid kids, 16-20 years old in Civics, Integras, and Neons fly by like out of control morons everyday, doing 60-80mph through a residential neighborhood, and I just shake my head because these kids want Evo's and 350Z's. Who knows who they are going to hurt or kill next if they get their hands on one.
I don't question the fact that they may not be taking out the loan on their own but some are making the payments to their parents. You have to start somewhere without credit. I'm pretty sure if you throw a stone up into a crowd of 17-18 year olds it's bound to land on a stupid VinDiesel wannabe. But, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of 30 year olds out there now that used to drive fast cars when they were 17. Responsibly, mind you. I just don't think it's fair to put a cap on their age as to when they can drive one, if they know how to do it responsibly whether or not the loan is in their name or not.

and.....I'm sure a couple of posts down ..someone's gonna say again. "who gives a ****?" Just like a bunch of others that have been following this post but haven't said a thing. The point being....nothing's gonna change. Just like gun control.

Last edited by batousai; 04-09-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM
aduke

The point is, these kids are NOT buying the cars on their own. Mommy and Daddy have to be co-signing. No way in hell are they getting loans on their own at 17 or 18 for the amount for a 350Z.
I'm 24, I'm married, I'm an attorney. I represent major insurers, primarily auto, in a niche area of insurance law involving big dollar cases. I won't post my salary, but its plenty.

I had to have my dad co-sign my loan on the Z I bought a couple weeks ago.

Does that mean I shouldn't have bought it?

btw, I have absolutely no negative credit history, and my credit union gave me their best rate, just over 3%. But they wouldn't give me a loan solely in my own name because I had not previously had a car loan or a mortgage.

Last edited by aduke; 04-09-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...