Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Divergent13
You and every other 18 year old here...
Serious buzinesz
Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 PM
J_Dizzle
southcentral>me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im 18
<- i haz teh post count
Old 06-15-2008, 11:55 PM
mrfobbyaccent

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Why should we be happy?

They make our insurance go up, put neons or other cheap, tacky mods on their Z's, and fill the forum with crap.

Well my parents can afford to pay for my insurance under a Z if yours didn't when you were growing up sorry to hear that but mods. i don't have tacky sh*t like that on my car
Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
There shouldn't even be a debate on this issue. If they have the resources
---which, BTW, includes parents!---,then let them have their Zs! Circumtances vary from individual to individual, & we all have rights & benefits, as well as obligations & responsibilities. Some guys get all the breaks, some don't.
That's the breaks!
____________________________________________________________ _____
'O4 Touring Coupe/13k!!!/$2O,5OO!!!/FLAWLESS AT!!!/ NO feathering!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1

My brother and I grew up with our dad in the military and our mom chasing her education to be a teacher. Needless to say I did not have a bad *** 1st car. I had a hand me down 75 toyota corolla that was rust bucket brown.

I am now 45 and earn a 6 figure salary and have kids that are 10x better than I ever was growing up. I thought about a really nice 1st car like a Z or s2000 for my 16 year old son but then decided on a 2006 Scion Xa with MT. I bought him a set of nice rims and tires to get started and then let him add the other mods on his own dime. He ended buying Tein springs, K&N short ram intake, and tanabe exhaust. I helped/taught him how to install all of the mods. I also taught him everything that I know about driving and the physics behind it (I used to race motorcycles and attended Keith Code's Superbike School). I have no problems letting him take my Z when he asks (which surprisingly isn't often). In a couple of years when I get my next car (Lexus IS-F) I will let him have my Z. In my opinion, as well as he does in school with a 3.9 gpa and also plays Varsity Ice Hockey, he deserves the car now...I just don't think that his driving skills are ready yet. just my 2 cents...
Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 AM
chunky_baby

So it did make me feel a little odd talking to the 17 year old (at best) guy in Sonic last night who asked me how different the NISMO was to his 2007 Z....

I asked him how he afforded it, and he said that his job there, Johnny Rockets and mowing the lawn got him most of the way to his car payment...

I'm starting to wonder if I should just give up my job and start mowing lawns... seriously...
Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM
hellsoldiers08

well im 19 got my 07 350z in sept 2007. the reason why my parents said it was ok becuase they wanted a nice car for both my brother and i. (my parents are the kind that like all that lux. stuff so why not for the kids lol) but for the insurance and car payment it was around 800 which i can afford working at the store i do now at 8.50 and about 30 plus hours a week. they said just give about half the price becuase we want you to have a life and not all about work. o and we have to pay for gas which the gas prices arnt really fun to pay right now lol but another reason why they got us the car is that they wanted a car that is going to last us when we get out of college. so that we have a already have a nice car and we can start are life well. the biggest catch is that is under my parents name and not mine so they control what i do over it.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by mrfobbyaccent
Well my parents can afford to pay for my insurance under a Z if yours didn't when you were growing up sorry to hear that but mods. i don't have tacky sh*t like that on my car
Ah, the old my parents are richer than your parents so you're jealous... Wow... NO ONE has used that before.

My parents have money, they also have common sense. Sorry yours don't
Old 06-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Gatorade

They should learn to use proper grammar, though. I feel like I'm deciphering the Rosetta Stone when I walk into this thread.

I respect everyones vehicle, whether it was handed to them or not. I may have a different view on the subject, but whatever. This is the last time I drop in this thread, cause it seems to get cluttered with *** comments.

Good day.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
AML225

I am of the opinion that it's not up to us to judge whether or not anyone 'deserves' such a car. It's just a CAR. It's not some elite, super rare, irreplaceable car, just another car from NISSAN. A brand where if a 17 year old was driving ANY other model (minus the GTR) you wouldn't give it a second thought.

Everyone has the right to own whatever they OR their parents buy for them. I say unless you're the one buying the car you shouldn't be judging. Just because you waited longer or worked harder doesn't make you any more qualified to own a Z, just means you worked harder and waited longer.

Let's stop all this ridiculous arguing and judgment and realize that anyone here, who took the time to do research and find this forum, is on some level a Z enthusiast. Which is EXACTLY the reason this forum exists and why everyone is here. I'm sure there are plenty of forums on the internet where you can b*tch about how you hate people whose parents buy them nice things but, last I checked, this isn't one of them.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
magna750

Here is another perspective:

In addition to being a Z enthusiast, I am also an instrument rated pilot and own and operate my own airplane (Beechcraft Bonanza).

The biggest challenge that we (pilots) face right now is keeping the pilot population up. More pilots means more planes being produced, more parts produced, more AvGas getting consumed, etc, etc. All of this adds up to a healthier General Aviation segment of our economy which is better for us all.

Most of the pilot population is over 35 and that age is climbing all of the time. It is just so hard to get young people interested in flying these days.

Lets be glad that we have young people interested in these cars we all love so much. Because of them we have an ample supply of mods to choose from as well as wheels, tires and so on. If the 350Z (and 370Z etc) population moved on, all of these things would be gone with them because the manufacturers wouldn't find it cost effective to produce these things. Not to mention that Nissan wouldn't produce the cars anymore.

Do I think handing a 17 year old the keys to a 350Z is a good idea? No, probably not.

I lost a daughter in a car accident where she was hit head on by a kid doing over 100 mph in a borrowed Camaro. Not my daughters fault at all, but the kid driving the other vehicle made some bad choices and cost three people their lives.

I think that parents should think long and hard before giving young teenagers this kind of capability and power without supervision.

A 350Z may be a nice second or third car for a young person who has a little more experience and a little better judgment.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Concave
Banned

Ah, the old my parents are richer than your parents so you're jealous... Wow... NO ONE has used that before.

My parents have money, they also have common sense. Sorry yours don't

didnt you just get your Z?

btw who earns money anyway? its 2008 you old people.

^ gas money
Old 06-16-2008, 07:46 PM
AML225

Originally Posted by magna750
Here is another perspective:

In addition to being a Z enthusiast, I am also an instrument rated pilot and own and operate my own airplane (Beechcraft Bonanza).

The biggest challenge that we (pilots) face right now is keeping the pilot population up. More pilots means more planes being produced, more parts produced, more AvGas getting consumed, etc, etc. All of this adds up to a healthier General Aviation segment of our economy which is better for us all.

Most of the pilot population is over 35 and that age is climbing all of the time. It is just so hard to get young people interested in flying these days.

Lets be glad that we have young people interested in these cars we all love so much. Because of them we have an ample supply of mods to choose from as well as wheels, tires and so on. If the 350Z (and 370Z etc) population moved on, all of these things would be gone with them because the manufacturers wouldn't find it cost effective to produce these things. Not to mention that Nissan wouldn't produce the cars anymore.

Do I think handing a 17 year old the keys to a 350Z is a good idea? No, probably not.

I lost a daughter in a car accident where she was hit head on by a kid doing over 100 mph in a borrowed Camaro. Not my daughters fault at all, but the kid driving the other vehicle made some bad choices and cost three people their lives.

I think that parents should think long and hard before giving young teenagers this kind of capability and power without supervision.

A 350Z may be a nice second or third car for a young person who has a little more experience and a little better judgment.
I agree with every word you said. I really couldn't agree more. Also, I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter, I know it's not easy talking about stuff like this so thanks for sharing.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by Concave
didnt you just get your Z?

I had an '03 when they first came out. Then a used '03 G coupe.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Concave
Banned

I had an '03 when they first came out. Then a used '03 G coupe.
ok. you got me. >.<
Old 06-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Maresh@Blackline
Vendor - Former Vendor

What's your business?
www.higherlevelauto.com

wheels tires hids body kits you name it. selling it at the end of the month, and already helped my best friend form a more performance oriented company, with performance wheels such as lightweight Work and Enkei and what-not but more importantly performance stuff like exhaust and bolt on turbo kits and all that good crap. check the website out! its my pride and joy but time to sell it

Originally Posted by Divergent13
Don't you find it funny how most of these 16-17 year olds chiming in on this thread only have 1-5 posts? It's like they just lurk here waiting to pounce on a chance to brag about themselves.
im not bragging about myself, im just defending the younger kids on here who have EARNED their cars through work, and werent given them, and i wasnt sitting waiting to pounce, im not someone who revels in other people's opinions of me...
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....68#post5906868
^^^thats my few questions about buying a new-used Z, please check it out and help me
Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Gag83

would it be bad to say im 16??
Old 06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
shooter3k

85 Honda Accord Hatchback (bad *** car, had 45k orig miles when I got it)
90 Toyota Celica GT-S (first "sports" car I owned, i loved this thing)
96 Toyota Celica GT (upgraded from the 90, highschool ballin')
05 Scion tC (had a bunch of random problems so traded it in)
00 Toyota Celica GT (joined the military and didn't really wanna keep it)
96 Acura Integra (bought as a no car payment get around car)
06 Scion tC (missed the scion and gave it another go)
01 Acura Integra GSR (bought it and sold it 4 months later... impluse buying 4tl)
04 Nissan 350z (tC's still arn't that great.... too bad this one got totaled )
08 Nissan 350z (couldn't get anything else after owning a z)

I think that's it.... from 16-21.... I get tired of cars way to fast. I'm already wishing my new 350z was blue instead of white...
Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Project DSR

from 16 years
88 FC RX7 SE (parents bought it not running and i had to get it running)
90 FC RX7 Turbo II (this time i bought it and built it back up to fighting condition... then someone hit and ran me it got totalled)
18 years
86 Corolla GTS (fun car just couldnt smog it 20V 4AG had to get it started aswell)
96 eclipse rs (needed to get around and work all that)
and now 22 yrs of age
03 Red 350Z Enthusiast after a long road of having that eclipse and with no high school or college grad present and into my career (at toyota as a tech) i finally just said screw it im going to buy this car. it was on my works lot for sale so i traded the eclipse and swooped it up

i pay my monthly, insurance, and gas no "I'm sponsored by mommy and daddy"
Old 06-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Gag83

well i pay for my car and gas, parents pay for insurance, yet again im only 16 and i work at pizza hut..
Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Mikes35Oz

1992 Saturn SL2
2004 Hyundai Elantra
1995 Volkswagon GTi - Turbo'd
2006 Scion xB
2006 Scion tC
2006 Nissan 350z
2007 Toyota Corolla

all of which i've owned since i was 16, I am now 20 yrs old.
hopefully the list will continue growing..

Quick Reply: This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...