Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 AM
1LightBrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Rambo
In 2 years the Z will become a garage queen/weekend driver when I treat myself to a gtr as a little graduation present to myself after a few months of work
Aren't we all treating ourselves to a GT-R in 2 years after a few months of work.

you going to ever move out? save up for a house? an apartment. Have fun getting a mortgage with a debt like a $100K car loan on your credit.

Had my Z when i was 19 after two BMWs (WHICH I BUILT) and am saving up for a down payment on a house. THEN i'll get my GT-R
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM
John Rambo

Originally Posted by 1LightBrick
Aren't we all treating ourselves to a GT-R in 2 years after a few months of work.

you going to ever move out? save up for a house? an apartment. Have fun getting a mortgage with a debt like a $100K car loan on your credit.

Had my Z when i was 19 after two BMWs (WHICH I BUILT) and am saving up for a down payment on a house. THEN i'll get my GT-R
Where I come from family is very close. Parents don't let their kids move out at 18 to be on their own. We live with the parents till about 25-26 which means saving up money. Why would I get my own house before starting a family?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Where I come from family is very close. Parents don't let their kids move out at 18 to be on their own. We live with the parents till about 25-26 which means saving up money. Why would I get my own house before starting a family?
Guess my question would be why would you buy a $100,000 depreciating asset at that age? You should be maxing out your savings while you can - for eventual financial security, not for a depreciating asset. But hey, that's just me, it's your life even if a lot of us just find the whole thing weird.

Last edited by PerfZ; 11-27-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 AM
1LightBrick

I'm 23 and, judging by my calculations, so are you. I'm living at home because i live in an unbelievably expensive area (north jersey) to own a home. I dont want to have a wife and kids living in my parents house.
I have a full-time, salaried, financial position with a world leader in the industry, graduated in May `12 and have been working her as an intern for 2.5 years before the full-time offer upon graduation and a GT-R is still a long distance goal.

In general the age to move out is getting older and older as the standard of living increases. It's still not seeming feasible to drive a $100K car living at home with your parents, starting a family. I think you may need to revaluate your 5-year plan especially since you were given a car (i'm not hating, i was given my Z as a gift for a full-ride to college) that is stil working, why waste your money on another when you're planning other priorities.

It seems like a "17-year-old" thing to say "put the Z away in 2 years and get my GT-R after i work for a few months." is all i'm saying.

Last edited by 1LightBrick; 11-27-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 AM
John Rambo

Originally Posted by 1LightBrick
I'm 23 and, judging by my calculations, so are you. I'm living at home because i live in an unbelievably expensive area (north jersey) to own a home. I dont want to have a wife and kids living in my parents house.
I have a full-time, salaried, financial position with a world leader in the industry, graduated in May `12 and have been working her as an intern for 2.5 years before the full-time offer upon graduation and a GT-R is still a long distance goal.

In general the age to move out is getting older and older as the standard of living increases. It's still not seeming feasible to drive a $100K car living at home with your parents, starting a family. I think you may need to revaluate your 5-year plan especially since you were given a car (i'm not hating, i was given my Z as a gift for a full-ride to college) that is stil working, why waste your money on another when you're planning other priorities.

It seems like a "17-year-old" thing to say "put the Z away in 2 years and get my GT-R after i work for a few months." is all i'm saying.
I agree you do make valid points I cant argue with that. However, I never said I was getting a new one which would be roughly around $100K. I also haven't had to pay a penny for school therefor I have no crazy loans to pay back like most students do today once I graduate. The GTR has been my dream car and because of that I have started a savings account since high school because I knew once I am done with school that would be a pretty nice down payment. I make decent money being a manager at a luxury lounge/bar working weekends. You can find GTR's anywhere from $60k and up. Once I am done with school I will have a little more than half saved up for it already just from managing my money and putting it on the side of what I am making right now. I chose the medical field because I know I will always have a secure career with a pretty nice salary. I see the opportunity to buy my dream car so why the hell not go for it? I'm not planning on having kids or getting married anytime soon so I think I should be fine. Point of all this talk isn't to sound snobby or cocky its because some youngsters on the forum are responsible with their nice cars and decisions at a young age and shouldn't be given a hard time unless they give you a reason. I just don't think its cool to randomly give them a bunch of **** for having a Z.

Last edited by John Rambo; 11-27-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM
kahij

I agree you do make valid points I cant argue with that. However, I never said I was getting a new one which would be roughly around $100K. I also haven't had to pay a penny for school therefor I have no crazy loans to pay back like most students do today once I graduate. The GTR has been my dream car and because of that I have started a savings account since high school because I knew once I am done with school that would be a pretty nice down payment. I make decent money being a manager at a luxury lounge/bar working weekends. You can find GTR's anywhere from $60k and up. Once I am done with school I will have a little more than half saved up for it already just from managing my money and putting it on the side of what I am making right now. I chose the medical field because I know I will always have a secure career with a pretty nice salary. I see the opportunity to buy my dream car so why the hell not go for it? I'm not planning on having kids or getting married anytime soon so I think I should be fine. Point of all this talk isn't to sound snobby or cocky its because some youngsters on the forum are responsible with their nice cars and decisions at a young age and shouldn't be given a hard time unless they give you a reason. I just don't think its cool to randomly give them a bunch of **** for having a Z.
I did read this entire thread, nor do I intend too, but I think I get the basics of it. I think if a 17 year old has a Z, more power to them. I dont care how they got it... It is honestly non of my business how people get their cars (unless they are stealign them). I think that anyone should be able to enjoy the Z car. I myself am 25 and started my driving career with a Geo Metro.. Saved my money and ran that car into the ground, and moved to a Toyota Avalon. Again saved my money and ran that car into the ground while saving money. I too was able to move through college with no costs, due to hard work, and when I graduated, I had saved enough money through work, to purchase a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe new and outright. I continued to save my money and picked up a rather profitable sales position with verizon, which allowed me to pay cash again for an used 350z. I know have nearly 45k into the z and it is a full blown race car, with NO monies owed on it.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Kali350z

87 Hyundai précis hatchback
82 Datsun Nissan Sentra
80 olds Cutlass (lasted a week)
Old *** 1970's ford pick (piece of crap, not full size)
1994 Nissan hardbody pick up
1994 mustang GT
1995 mustang GT
2000 Honda cRV
04 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (still have)
07 350z Enthusiast
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Please read the title of the thread. Pretty sure there is another thread for vehicles owned prior to the Z.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 AM
zswickliffe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
^ Please read the title of the thread. Pretty sure there is another thread for vehicles owned prior to the Z.
Please read the original post. DOH! Now apologize
Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NEVER! Just don't understand why people list what they drove but have no input on the thread.

I'm still confused why we let this thread go on.

Last edited by jerseystyle; 11-28-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 AM
PerfZ

Originally Posted by jerseystyle

NEVER! Just don't understand why people list what they drove but have no input on the thread.

I'm still confused why we let this thread go on.
For the occasional lulz/
Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rambo gonna make $100k with his bidness degree from kommunity kollage
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Jbakes727

I've had my Z since I was 15. Dad bought it for me a month before my 16th birthday as a present. Once i finished driving school and got my license I wasn't allowed to drive it for about 4-5 months on my own until he believed I was ready to handle it myself which I think was smart of him. Being a only child and keeping out of trouble doing good in school landed me a very nice first car. Always took care of it and never got any dings on it. I got in a little fender bender with a drunk driver who also tried to run when I was parked but that's a different story. My Z runs and looks as well as it did 8 years ago when we first got it. The only young Z drivers that should get bashed are the ones who are being reckless and don't appreciate what they have. Some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous about young drivers you just can't hate on all of them. I plan on being that old guy still driving his first car he had from high school. In 2 years the Z will become a garage queen/weekend driver when I treat myself to a gtr as a little graduation present to myself after a few months of work

All this time and still haven't learned how to mod cars...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

i like it
Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 AM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Rambo gonna make $100k with his bidness degree from kommunity kollage
Dis fool already owns the nuke plant you be workin at. 100k is chump change to this guy
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Jcope

What a stupid thread. This thread having the most views/posts proves many of the members just want to talk crap.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 PM
PerfZ

^^^^ and you just added to the post count. Hmmm.......
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 AM
stuartc323

What part of the medical field did you go into? im curious as to know which field will let you raise enough money in three months out of school for you to purchase a gtr?

I've had my Z since I was 15. Dad bought it for me a month before my 16th birthday as a present. Once i finished driving school and got my license I wasn't allowed to drive it for about 4-5 months on my own until he believed I was ready to handle it myself which I think was smart of him. Being a only child and keeping out of trouble doing good in school landed me a very nice first car. Always took care of it and never got any dings on it. I got in a little fender bender with a drunk driver who also tried to run when I was parked but that's a different story. My Z runs and looks as well as it did 8 years ago when we first got it. The only young Z drivers that should get bashed are the ones who are being reckless and don't appreciate what they have. Some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous about young drivers you just can't hate on all of them. I plan on being that old guy still driving his first car he had from high school. In 2 years the Z will become a garage queen/weekend driver when I treat myself to a gtr as a little graduation present to myself after a few months of work

Originally Posted by justin60222
All this time and still haven't learned how to mod cars...

I think his car looks great keep up the good work

Last edited by jerseystyle; 12-03-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by Jcope
What a stupid thread. This thread having the most views/posts proves many of the members just want to talk crap.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:26 PM
350z313

Nothing wrong being 17-18 owning a Z...Just don't do stupid **** and learn to bond with the car. I'm 18 and I drive a Tuned 400+WHP 335i...

Quick Reply: This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...