Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

tru dat.....
Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM
sambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car was good when it came out.. the first 5-6 years.

now its a high school mobile. i mean its old, so its easily attainable. you can always move on to another car gtr or whatever.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

the DE's are cheap yes... but the HRs are still up there
Old 07-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Given the fact that most teenagers are either employed at minimum wage jobs and some don't even have jobs at all, I doubt most of them could even afford to keep a Z too long even if the value has dropped below the 10k mark with a million miles on it. Given the fact that there are less jobs now and people with college degrees and of skilled labor are now competing in jobs that kids out of high school would normally get. Lying that you saved all that money from granny giving you 50 bucks every Christmas or doing paper routes or whatever full time job you say you have while still in school to save for a 10k car isn't believable especially in today's economy. So stop lying and be honest, who are you trying to impress?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:33 PM
sambo

Originally Posted by Jah70
Given the fact that most teenagers are either employed at minimum wage jobs and some don't even have jobs at all, I doubt most of them could even afford to keep a Z too long even if the value has dropped below the 10k mark with a million miles on it. Given the fact that there are less jobs now and people with college degrees and of skilled labor are now competing in jobs that kids out of high school would normally get. Lying that you saved all that money from granny giving you 50 bucks every Christmas or doing paper routes or whatever full time job you say you have while still in school to save for a 10k car isn't believable especially in today's economy. So stop lying and be honest, who are you trying to impress?
lol that is true. most of the fast five teens i see are in stock Z's maybe with some tint and neon lights.

These kids havent earned nothing, its just a handout generation.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

i am not hating on them, i am the baby of the family and my first car was a 72 vw bug, they just need to appreciate that they have family that can do that for them and acknowlege it.... not brag/be cocky that they are young and have a nice car
Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 PM
yassinbrkt

Well I had a 95 Trans Am that was in pretty beat up shape as a first car... No rear windshield, dents everywhere, overheated, no radio, no a/c, torn up seats, but the best car I ever had. It was a hand-me-down(dad's midlife crisis purchase), so I didn't complain. My dad said he worked hard so we could focus on school and whatnot, which I'm forever grateful for. But I had to fix the car myself, which was where I really got into cars. After that, I just got into buying and selling stuff (car parts, some civics, some furniture, rims) and eventually worked up to my first Z at 17. Then, sold it and got a Prelude so I could use the remainder to flip cars. Prelude got totaled first 1 week I wad it(drunk driver slammed into it), insurance was very generous, and I got my second Z, which was a veery lucky find. . . I'm 19, almost 20. I have a 2000 civic as a second car that I picked up for 800 bucks, damn good condition. I put in a rather minute amount of effort, simply because I worked smart, got lucky, and was veeery patient. I had to balance between school and my side money-making mini business.

I understand that certain people worked hard to get their cars, which I respect. It's a passion; however, I don't think it's fair to point at younger kids and talk about how THEY didn't do anything to deserve their car. Maybe they did, chances are they didn't... but who cares! You know where you're at, you know what you went through, and you're able to appreciate your car more than them, because it's your reward for all of your hard work... But those kids shouldn't get on your nerves. If anything, you should just laugh about it and feel bad for them. They don't understand the true feeling of driving this car. That can't truly enjoy it. They simply enjoy it as a machine, as if it's some kind of toy... But they don't have that connection with their car the way those who worked hard for it(or he/she, if they've been named) do.

Eh, that's my two cents.

TL;DR Who cares, enjoy your car.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 PM
xXShadowGraveXx

Started at 17:
2002 Honda accord SE black
2004 nissan 350z roadster touring (@ 19)
Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Didn't you say you were 18 or 19 years old in an earlier thread???

sorry if I've got u confused with another poster.

BTW agree with your take on the economy.

It's a great big shiit sandwich, and we ALL gotta take a bite.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:15 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=stuartc323;10178549]Well nismo, from what i have gathered it isnt about the fact that guys are getting Zs or any other expensive sports car young, its the fact that they say that they "worked" for it, in a general sense, or they saved up their "entire" life savings to buy the car, yet try to make it seem like they did it with no help and bought their car on the terms like most of the older guys on here, which is absolutely not true, even still to this day. I could care less, but thats what i gathered from it.

I'm in total agreement, so what if they borrowed money from the bank of mom and dad, at least own it rather than come out with the aforesaid BS.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 PM
stormtroopin

I started with a 89 Buick lasaber at 15. It sucked, from then:
200sx
240sx
Galant
Mini van
Jeep Cherokee
Sentra spec v

Now own a Titan and a 350z. Both were bought used. I am now 25. Titan was bought for $18k and the Z for $10k. Didn't put money down on either. Really wasn't extremely hard to get to this point, work hard and watch your credit score.

Last edited by stormtroopin; 08-03-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 AM
stuartc323

[QUOTE=samsniss350z;10188067]
Originally Posted by stuartc323
Well nismo, from what i have gathered it isnt about the fact that guys are getting Zs or any other expensive sports car young, its the fact that they say that they "worked" for it, in a general sense, or they saved up their "entire" life savings to buy the car, yet try to make it seem like they did it with no help and bought their car on the terms like most of the older guys on here, which is absolutely not true, even still to this day. I could care less, but thats what i gathered from it.

I'm in total agreement, so what if they borrowed money from the bank of mom and dad, at least own it rather than come out with the aforesaid BS.

Exactly but at least they own it is my point, they didnt need mommy or daddy but most of these kids dont understand that, they think their parents paying 90% of the bill and them putting a down payment and paying liability insurance and fees is hard work.

Last edited by stuartc323; 08-05-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Jah70

Speaking of cars I'm thinking of getting a 240Z soon with my brother. Idk if I should get an engine swap like a VQ35de, SR20, or even a rb26 or another rb series engine as a donor or just get a rebuilt engine that came with the car.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Chasetouring03.

I am 17 I just bought an 03 Z touring model a few days ago for 8500, the guy wanted 9600 I got the price down (ON MY OWN, I went it buy it alone also). The money I paid was earned by me. I work a waitering job I've held for over year working 4-5 days a week every week. And for 2 months I also made pizza working double shifts (12 hours) Friday and saterday (waitering then making pizza at night). My first car was loaned to me for a year by my parents but I had to keep it clean and pay insurance and gas of course (04 accord LX) I never got in accidents or scratched it. Pulled over once for a lience plate infraction. I think I earned my car and if you disagree you're just mad a 17 year old can afford what you older gentlemen can
Old 08-05-2013, 02:01 PM
stuartc323

^

So you did all that to buy a car. Have you finished school yet?

Last edited by stuartc323; 08-05-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:10 PM
logan09

Originally Posted by Chasetouring03.
I am 17 I just bought an 03 Z touring model a few days ago for 8500, the guy wanted 9600 I got the price down (ON MY OWN, I went it buy it alone also). The money I paid was earned by me. I work a waitering job I've held for over year working 4-5 days a week every week. And for 2 months I also made pizza working double shifts (12 hours) Friday and saterday (waitering then making pizza at night). My first car was loaned to me for a year by my parents but I had to keep it clean and pay insurance and gas of course (04 accord LX) I never got in accidents or scratched it. Pulled over once for a lience plate infraction. I think I earned my car and if you disagree you're just mad a 17 year old can afford what you older gentlemen can

I call total bs on this one.

Also, no were not mad, because we can afford to live on our own AND pay car related expenses. Not rely on mom and dad for a place to live just so you can be selfish and buy a nice car instead of getting your own place.

Last edited by logan09; 08-05-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:22 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

These "older" gentlemen paid for a car that was ~$30,000 new. You paid $8,500 10 years later. You didn't "afford" what these older gentlemen have had. There is no hate -- but when vehicles depreciate it attracts a younger crowd... thus this debate.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Jah70

Originally Posted by NismoDude
Didn't you say you were 18 or 19 years old in an earlier thread???

sorry if I've got u confused with another poster.

BTW agree with your take on the economy.

It's a great big shiit sandwich, and we ALL gotta take a bite.
No way lol I just turned 24
Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Jah70

All this while going to school huh? Interesting. You say you worked 4-5 days a week during school? Interesting. And you got a second job on the side? Interesting....Making Pizza and being a waiter and still going to school? Interesting....Since i'm not to much older than you and high school wasn't too long ago for me, your riveting tale does not add up ol' chap. But I can make up stories on the internet too. I once saved the Jabawakiz at Narnia while riding a biracial unicorn camel that shot lucky charms out of it's horn and had diarrhea cinnamon toast crunch do do butter with every enemy I slayed. With my mighty light saber that gandolf gave me and my level 12 Blastoise I beat the invaders of the north and now Narnia is peaceful once again. It was a very bloody battle and the horrors of that war still haunt me till this day with the amount of rum that was spilled that day.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM
stuartc323

All this while going to school huh? Interesting. You say you worked 4-5 days a week during school? Interesting. And you got a second job on the side? Interesting....Making Pizza and being a waiter and still going to school? Interesting....Since i'm not to much older than you and high school wasn't too long ago for me, your riveting tale does not add up ol' chap. But I can make up stories on the internet too. I once saved the Jabawakiz at Narnia while riding a biracial unicorn camel that shot lucky charms out of it's horn and had diarrhea cinnamon toast crunch do do butter with every enemy I slayed. With my mighty light saber that gandolf gave me and my level 12 Blastoise I beat the invaders of the north and now Narnia is peaceful once again. It was a very bloody battle and the horrors of that war still haunt me till this day with the amount of rum that was spilled that day.

Got damn it Jah LMFAO, I was trying to let him explain himself first but eff it, rip his ***.

Quick Reply: This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...