2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the extended warranty worth it

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 09:36 AM
Tubbs SF
Charter Member #85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the extended warranty worth it

I wanted some opinions on this one. I picked up the car on Thursday, but the dealer is giving me a week to decide. He said he wanted to take care of his Z owners, so he is offering 82 months or 100,000 mile bumper to bumper for $1500. Sounded like a pretty good deal to me, especially for a in its first year of production. The question is how long I plan to keep this car, but even if I sell (which I dont see happening for a very long time) it is good for its resale value. Anyone chime in here, I place value on all opinions.

Cheers,
Tubbs
Old 09-04-2002, 09:54 AM
jim350z

per owner's manuel you have 3 years to decide and you can still get coverage after that. first 3 years are bumper to bumper anyways. If you wait you'll wind up paying a bit more, espicially after the 3 years are up. The warranty is transferable to a differnt owner but this car does'nt need more selling points.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:36 AM
ariZona

Default I got it for mine...

I initially didnt plan to get it, but at the dealer as I was in the finance managers office, he offered me a deal: originally $1500 (according to him), I got 6 years/75,000 miles of coverage for $946.00. So basically, for a grand extra, my car is covered to the 75,000 mile mark, which I am sure will come in handy at some point or another. It is nice to know that my car and its components will be covered for twice as long as originally expected, and I am sure the $1000 will pay for itself many times over. I also paid $195.00 (through my financer, Pentagon Federal Credit Union) for Gap coverage, so I think I have pretty much covered all my bases. Hopefully I will never need to use either, but for $1200.00 total I think it is a wise investment.

ariZona
Old 09-04-2002, 10:37 AM
sands

I found this FAQ to be a lot of help;

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...618162#3618162
Old 09-04-2002, 11:28 AM
ericn

Default You may want to try warrantydirect.com

I am picking my car up tonight. So, I am going to compare the dealers price to thiers. They sell and administer warranty programs to/for dealers.

You can get a quote online. There customer service dept. seemed
knowledgeable.

Good Luck,

Eric
Old 09-04-2002, 11:47 AM
PartsPeddler
Sponsor
Courtesy Nissan

If you are considering the extended warranty, be sure it is the Nissan extended warranty. There are many aftermarket companies offering extended warranties that are not as good as Nissan's.

Keep in mind your 3/36 warranty does not include a loaner/rental vehicle when/if your car is down.

Check prices and what is covered. Be sure to get everything in writing!!!

Steve
Old 09-04-2002, 11:54 AM
westpak
SFZCC

One of the main things to keep in mind is for those with MT, most of the third party warranties do not cover anything related with the clutch but the Nissan one does, at least the security + gold I took does.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:11 PM
SunsetZ

The Bible (Consumers Report) says they are rarely worth the money. Save your money. Japanese cars are very reliable, and our Z's are 100% japanese content.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:22 PM
justwant1

Check the laws in your state. Not all extended warentees transfer to a new owner when you sell the car. In Illinois, they do not transfer.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:38 PM
My_Tampa_Z

I am currently pricing warranties on the internet. I usually buy an extended warranty and they always seem to pay for themselves...yes even with a Japanese car. I shutter when thinking of how many times I used my warranty on my Accord. When you consider how much power window and A/C repairs cost these days the choice is clear. Questions to ask when purchasing an extended warranty:
1. Is it truly a bumper to bumper warranty or is there a long list of covered parts? I look for what is called an exclusionary warranty...it lists what is not covered and specifies that anything NOT on the list is covered. This way you REALLY know what to expect when you need service.

2. Does the policy provide any perks like loaners, rentals, lockout service, etc during the manufacturer's warranty?

3. Is there a deductable?

4. Are their adjusters available by phone on the weekends? I ran into this once...very much of a hassle to not be able to service the car on a Saturday.

5. How will the repairs be paid? Most companies provide a credit card authorization over the phone directly to the shop.

6. Is the policy transferable?..if not..run!

7. How much will it cost to transfer the warranty?

8. How much money will I get back if I trade the car in. Yes...you are entited to a refund. The dealer will have no use for the warranty..transfering is usually only transferable on private sales.

I liked what PartsPeddler had to say about getting the Nissa warranty...that's the way to go if you can get a good price...I would think you would have more leverage for coverage...but you may be stuck with having to use an Authorized Nissan Service dept. Not a bad thing..unless you already have a favorite mechanic.

Can anybody point me to a link that has the coverage details and retail prices for the Nissan Extended Warranty?
Old 09-04-2002, 01:46 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by My_Tampa_Z
Can anybody point me to a link that has the coverage details and retail prices for the Nissan Extended Warranty?
Here is the link for Nissan's warranties but the pricing is up to the dealershttp://www.nissanusa.com/owning/Serv...ng/0,,,00.html
Old 09-04-2002, 05:36 PM
rjsmit1

My .02 on extended warrantees is that I used to think it was a bad idea. I now get them. I like the idea of getting the extended warrantee from the manufacturer rather than from a third party insurer. When you take the car to the dealer with a problem, there is no question as to who is going to pay, etc. etc. One thing an extended warrantee can do for you during the first 36 months is provide a rental car if you sign up for that feature. For a pricing benchmark, I got an extended warrantee for my wife's Millenia S a few years back that took it out to 7 years and 100,000 miles. It cost $600.00, which the dealer said was his cost. I think he might have been telling the truth. I haven't studied it scientifically, but even Japanese cars that are reliable can have expensive repairs. Even if the engine and tranny last forever, some of the electrical systems can be expensive. I think of the traction control, anti-lock brakes, etc. and I think 4 figure costs when the chips go bad... I think the warrantee is a good bet.