Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New Female Owner- Rim Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003 | 09:07 AM
TaliaZ

Default New Female Owner- Rim Question

Hi, people. I just purchased my Pikes Peak White Z, touring. Automatic. (I know, all my guy friends say I'm an idiot for getting auto but I can't drive manual)

Anyway- my car is going to be here a few days before or after Nov. 28. (I'm thankful)

My question: Think I can negotiate for the 18s? The Touring automatic doesn't come with them, but I think maybe I can tell the dude I really want the 18s and maybe he can just pop them off one of the cars on the lot, put my 17s on it, and make me pay the difference... they look plastic!

Thanks! I already have the exact price I am paying for the car, and gave them a $6,000 non-refundable deposit.
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:14 AM
FRIT-Z

Default Wheels

Hi,
Welcome to the z club...lots of good info in here, people with lots of good ideas.
I would try to see if they will upgrade the wheels/tires for you but I doubt they have an "extra" set around.
If you really want the stock 18" wheels keep me in mind...I live near Trenton and I have the stock 18" wheels and tires available since I changed out to Volk 19". Tires have 2000 miles (like new), wheels are in good shape, no curb rash.

Once again welcome.

Frit-z
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:15 AM
themyst

Nope. Sometimes if you're lucky, a dealer will have a set of 18's sitting there when a customer swaps out the stock rims for aftermarket ones off the showroom floor, but more often than not, they won't do it... because then the other new cars on the lot won't have the proper wheels. What I would do is, search these forums for someone selling their stock 18" rims and buy them for cheap. I got my set of stock 18" rims and tires (need them to return my car back to stock) from this forum for 800 bucks local pickup with tire pressure sensors. Then you can sell your stock 17" wheels for around 500-600 and trade up to 18's for only 200 bucks. Probably cheaper going this route than negotiating with the dealer. Being in Jersey, i'm sure you can find someone out there who has these wheels in good condition. I actually saw a set of Track rims and tires for sale in the classifieds section of this forum in NY. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:17 AM
Z'd

I seriously doubt they will do this. First of all, they would have to have a used Z to trade them with, as the 18s are part of the specs for new models that come with them- they are listed on the window sticker, so they can't just sell a new car with 17s swapped on.
There are many great looking 18s on the market- why opt for the OEM version unless you want the Ray's Forged from a Track model??
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:18 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Whoa! $6000 non-refundable deposit. I only had to put down $500 to order mine. Sounds like a dealer that you better be careful dealing with.
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:24 AM
TaliaZ

Thanks guys. Well, I guess that's true they prolly won't do it because it would make the sticker of the car read the wrong info. I just thought maybe they'd just make a change in order to make me happy and maybe the buyer of the z with the 17s would get a price adjustment.

Hey Frit Z: How Much?? I live in south jersey. Also... would somebody actually buy my 17s?? That seems unlikely because they prolly already have them or have the 18s.

My reason for wanting the stock non-Track model rims is because they are the best looking rims for this car in my opinion. I like the looks of them even more than the track and most of the aftermarket brands. They really fill the wheelwells nicely.
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:48 AM
havabooz

i happen to like the 17's better than the 18's....if you ever plan on getting aftermarket wheels then stick with the 17's and save the money for later

congrats on the new car...dont let anyone make fun of u with an AT

some kid was talkin to me about my car one night when i was parking it near my dorm...he said something like "you cant drive that car in AT man"....so i told him..."actually, you can,,and it works pretty well too"

he didnt say a word after that
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:49 AM
havabooz

i dont know why some MT ppl feel superior to AT

i would have liked to get MT...but after driving my dads car in the NYC traffic....FORGET IT...
Old 11-25-2003 | 10:12 AM
Dissident

New Female Owner- Rim Question
Was a little worried about where this thread was going...

If you really want them that bad, see if you can get the dealer to order them at cost, tho if your dealer is asking that big of a down paymenbt, they sound rather shady. I ordered my 2004 (first one they got, too) with $200 down.
Old 11-25-2003 | 10:26 AM
Megatron

Welcome to the club. You will have a lot of fun in the car.
Old 11-25-2003 | 10:54 AM
TaliaZ

Yeah, it wasn't a question regarding a rim job.. sorry!

Well, MT peopel think the are cool, prolly because they are in contro and that makes them feel special. JK I think it's because you get the true sporting nature and feel connected to the car.. prolly true I just like to hit the gas pedal and go.

I went to Monmouth and then Rowan Univ. What's up, Rutgers! That awesokem that you are at a dorm and get to drive such a hot car. I had to wait for my good job before making my $400+ monthly payments and down payment and trade... Lucky bastard!
Old 11-25-2003 | 11:04 AM
Megatron

Iam a rutgers alumni class of 2001.
You went to rowan, that is right down the street from me. I live in washington twp. I was at rowan yesterday running around the track.
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:23 PM
DruDragzOn

Another Rutgers student here. Gratz on the car! If your dealer can't get you the 18s, try looking for it on the private classifieds here. They're posted for sale sometimes. As for your 17s, they can be sold for $600 and up, esp. with yours being in mint condition. Good luck with the car. Maybe I'll see you on the road driving around!
Old 11-25-2003 | 01:38 PM
mantronix

Default Re: New Female Owner- Rim Question

Originally posted by TaliaZ
Hi, people. I just purchased my Pikes Peak White Z, touring. Automatic. (I know, all my guy friends say I'm an idiot for getting auto but I can't drive manual)

Anyway- my car is going to be here a few days before or after Nov. 28. (I'm thankful)

My question: Think I can negotiate for the 18s? The Touring automatic doesn't come with them, but I think maybe I can tell the dude I really want the 18s and maybe he can just pop them off one of the cars on the lot, put my 17s on it, and make me pay the difference... they look plastic!

Thanks! I already have the exact price I am paying for the car, and gave them a $6,000 non-refundable deposit.

hi. this is the perfect opportunity to pick out some cool 18's of your choice and put them on your car. in general, stock premium wheels from ANY manufacturer are ugly. if you really want HTP (head turning power) you'll want some aftermarket wheels. a good place to start is the tirerack. www.tirerack.com

also, a non-refundable deposit of any amount for any car is illegal.
Old 11-25-2003 | 02:04 PM
gmoorjr

From what I hear, the 18" wheels make a stiff ride even worse and you'll probably never need the performance "gain" of the larger tires. As for the A/T transmission-enjoy it. I do and I've owned shift cars for 30 years. This is one seriously fast machine even with this transmission and you can always shift it yourself if you want.
Old 11-25-2003 | 04:41 PM
TaliaZ

Thanks, guys. I am a 2002 Rowan graduate and I don't live too far from Washington Twp. I truly think the stock 18s are awesome looking. They were designed to go with the car by a designer who probably has a better eye than me. That's why i like the stock 18s. I probably will end up buying them from somebody here.

God I can't wait to get this car! Dealer said it should be here a few days before or after thanksgiving. They said it's at this place in north jersey and it's just a matter of the truck delivering it soon. I told them it better not be driven here!

As for the 6 grand down... I really didn't care, and the guy said I didn't have to put down anything more than a few hundred. But I just wanted to make the commitment and I did it.

BTW, I have tons of friends who went to Rutgers... i may know you! slim chance since the school is huge, but you never know. Cya
Old 11-25-2003 | 04:59 PM
zzzya

Not sure what your winters are like but I would recommend saving the stock 17" wheels and putting some winters tires on them for driving in any snow or ice. The stock tires are NOT to be driven in snow or ice. Then I would buy either some 18" stock wheels from someone who has upgraded or some nice aftermarket wheels that are wider to support a little more rubber, which will increase your cornering ability quite a bit.
Old 11-25-2003 | 05:24 PM
ViZion

i'd say your best option is the one that everyone has offered up already. just suck it up and buy a set of wheels that you like. you may be able to find something that you like, that's similar to the stock wheels.

and do be careful with that dealership, they sound really really shady. don't let em take you for a sucker cus you're a chick.

welcome to the boards! i haven't been here long myself, but everybody's been really helpful and coo. and enjoy your beautiful car. the z's, despite a few problems, is an awesome car. screw the people who laugh at you for an at. if you're happy, that's what matters
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:02 PM
biscotti

Thumbs up

Congrats on your car. I've never heard of anyone getting a good deal at any dealership. Agree with the others that aftermarket wheels are the way to go. Why don't you save the 17s for winter and then save up to buy some 19s for the summer? I think that the 19s make the 350Z much more aggressive in appearance.
Old 11-25-2003 | 10:19 PM
ElvishasaZ

Default Re: New Female Owner- Rim Question

Originally posted by TaliaZ

If you get the 18's your better off with the track version or some volks lighter and better for perfomance. Do you plan on any other mods?

Have fun in the new ride.

Quick Reply: New Female Owner- Rim Question