Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Learn more about your Z??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003 | 08:07 AM
fairladyz33

Question Learn more about your Z?? or car in general?

Hi, I would like to read up more detailed specs about our Z, I want to learn everything about it if possible. For example, what exactly is Viscous limited-slip differential?

I know mostly the basics, like how the pistons work and all, and how the entire intake and exhaust system links with the engine...etc, but I want more detailed infos...I'm particularly interested in how the tranny and the engine works together at the moment...

I've been researching in book stores, websites, I'm very curious about how the car works, but I have no time to take any mechanical classes....is there any sources that you poeple recommend for me to learn everything there is about cars? like how the engine work, etc...

Bascially I'm desperate for knowledge, I feel like there is no point of moding my car if I don't know jack about how it works...

Please help.

Last edited by fairladyz33; 12-03-2003 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2003 | 08:31 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

There are many ways of obtaining knowledge. For one, do internet searches, another, read alot of posts here and ask questions. Most people respond to your answers with good info. For the most part, the only time people get flamed is when they are flat out rude or trying to act like they know more than they do. In your case, just ask questions and most people will glady help you.

In regards to the Viscous limited-slip differential, pm Jeff at performance Nissan (site sponsor here). They sell different types of LSD's and I am sure he would be kind enough to describe the differences between a stock one and aftermarket one.

Jeff - zland
Old 12-03-2003 | 09:48 AM
Beaker02

Good advice Jeff
Old 12-03-2003 | 10:34 AM
zfastest

I think that is very respectable of you to ask this question, most people just blindly do things to their cars not even realizing the true reason behind it. Glad to see that some people still think before handing over cash to anybody with a promise of increasing your horsepower, handling, man size, etc, etc....

I would suggest internet searches for specific questions, such as a limited slip, transmission, etc....there is a entire universe of info out there on the web. And like somebody already said, post any specific questions you have here!

Good luck and enjoy your new Z.
Old 12-03-2003 | 06:50 PM
longbowe

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/ is a good site, too.
Old 12-03-2003 | 07:42 PM
rands

here is a very good site that explains how a manual transmission works: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission1.htm.
Old 12-04-2003 | 03:06 AM
fairladyz33

thanx guys...really appreciate your help

Rands, I actually just finished reading that link you send me, I found it last night and couldn't stop reading it....haha, good fun.
Old 12-04-2003 | 04:44 PM
D'oh

Viscous limited slip:

Diff is filled with fluid that increases in viscosity (becomes thicker) when it heats up. When one wheel slips, the spinning action will heat the fluid which thickens and transfers torque to the other wheel. Very smooth, but will always require some slip before it can start to work. Good for street use and occasional/intermediate track use.

Clutch type limited slip:

This type has a number of alternating plates that are attached to each rear wheel. When torque is applied from the engine, small wedges force the clutch plates together which causes the rear wheel to "lock" together. By changing the arrangement of the plates, the amount of "lock" can be adjusted. Also, by changing the shape or orientation of the wedges, the locking effect can be made to happen only when accelerating (applying positive torque to the diff) or also when decelerating (using engine braking to slow down). There was a very good article in Sport Compact Car about this. Check their website for more details. I think it was part of an article where they were building a race car (Sentra SE-R maybe).

Also, I think Cuzco (or one of the other limited slip MFG's) has some good info on their website.

-D'oh!
Old 12-04-2003 | 05:59 PM
julian

Originally posted by D'oh
Viscous limited slip:
Diff is filled with fluid that increases in viscosity (becomes thicker) when it heats up.
-D'oh!
are you sure? pretty uncommon for an oil based fluid to increase in vicosity as temp goes up. i thought a diff would act like an auto tranny's torque converter... the fluid limits the difference in velocity of either side of the joint.
Old 12-04-2003 | 07:02 PM
iLLestJrz

I seriously learned the characteristics of Limited Slip by playing Gran Turismo 3
Old 12-04-2003 | 10:58 PM
rands

i seem to recall something about viscous limited slip differentials using silicone-based gel, not oil. though i could be wrong about that.

however, a limited slip differential does NOT transfer torque to the other wheel. it merely stops the free differential effect of equalizing torque distribution (in this case, trasferring all the torque the the free-spinning wheel). only a torsen-type differential can actually give the gripping wheel more torque than the spinning wheel (as far as i know).
Old 12-05-2003 | 10:58 AM
thefrush

w00t for learning about cars and driving from Gran Turismo!
Old 12-05-2003 | 10:32 PM
D'oh

Here's the explantion of the limited slip diffs straight from the source:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...8scc_proj350z/

-D'oh!
Old 12-06-2003 | 02:55 AM
TCL

Road & Track published a book called the Road & Track Automotive dictionary (dont have the exact title at the moment). It has good explanations of almost every part of the vehicle. It's more than a dictionary.