Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z and RX8 comparisson (Edmunds.com)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003 | 12:11 PM
zlove

Default 350Z and RX8 comparisson (Edmunds.com)

Sorry if this is a repost!

Some how I just don't think it was fare to compare the long-term test model 350Z to an RX-8 you have only driven a couple times. Of course you are going to have more complaints about something you have driven for over a year!!

check it out:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...9/article.html
Old 12-17-2003 | 12:53 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

I find some reviews miss the purpose of a sports car.

all I see there was shitty quarter miles from both cars(14.6 on the Z? uhhhhh; I can do better than that; and Im not a race driver) but either way the Z won in quarter mile, 0-60, and skidpad. lost on braking.

I think a bit too much weight was given to interior comforts on the rx8 and the fact that it had 4 doors; I guess I missed the part where it was a luxury sedan test. when you test sports cars they better win at what their meant to do; and that is drive fast; and handle well. the Z won. if the rx8 is the "better" car cause its interior is better; more power to them; Im not doubting myself atleast.tho I would have just gotten an accord or something...
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:54 PM
noel48

Edmunds is only good for invoice pricing.Their reviews suck juevos.
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:59 PM
Dissident

I think the RX8 interoir is too bling. I hate it. I'll take the Z any day. As far as it being cheap, some people think it is, and while I see room for improvement, it's better than a Cobra or firebird by miles, as well as the Boxter and vette, IMO.

There's no discernable power peak so every stomp of the pedal generates a nearly identical reaction
Yeah, I hate it when engines makes power through the power badn consistentyly. But they love the exhaust sound, which is, er... interesting.

I mean, to each his own, but nothing felt right ot me in the Rx8. The engine FEELS great, but just doesn't motivate the car unless you flog the hell out of it, which is fun on test drives, but gets old in traffic. I guess I like having a car I like driving at all levels.

None of the ergos of the RX8 feel right to me, either. Door rests are wrong for me, the reach to the controls isn't comfortable for my driving style... And I hated the clutch; feels like it came out of the Ford parts bin. And the more I look at the RX8, the uglier I think it is. The Z is still growing on me.

There is nothing new about the Saturn's, er, Mazdas doors. The back seat woulda been nice I admint, but, oh well.

I know I can't compare g-tech numbers to correct mag number, but.. mine are over a second quicker than their rx8 times. Their numbers are half a second apart, which is still considerable in this class... And, they used the published mileage numbers rather than telling us what THEY got, and I've heard the RX8 mileage is pretty dismal.

Oh, and, the E$27K nthusiast has everything I wanted; HIDs, LSD, climate control. Nothing I didn't (read, BOSE, leather, etc). I woulda had to pay well over $32-33K for an RX8 jsut to get HIDs.

And, if something on the Z dies 8-10 years from now, I'm betting it'll be alot easier to find a mechanic who fixes Nissan v6-s then one that knows rotaries.

Generating 238 horsepower from a measly 1.3 liters, the RX-8's rotary engine is a marvel of efficiency and smoothness
Pretty silly statement, really, if you know anything about engines. It's like saying it's amazing how much power a 500cc 2 stroke makes compared to a 1000cc 4 stroke. Not only is a rotary smoother by default, since there are no recipricating parts to balance, but comparing the size of it to a conventional engine is apples and oranges. Consider the number of power strokes of a dual rotary engine for one crankshaft revloution vs. that of a v6.

But, despite the engine being lighter and making less power, and the car itself being lighter, the RX8 actually gets worse milelage than the z? The Z is bad enough...

Really, the RX8 SHOULD be the better car, given some of the great things about rotaries, but the package they wrapped it in takes away from it. If they would've made some more power, or put it in something the miata, theywoulda had a Z killer, but instead, they put it in this goofy looking 4 seater with an even more useless trunk than the Z, which weird interior styling to match (and a stereo that is gonna be a mother to replace).
Old 12-17-2003 | 02:42 PM
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by noel48
Edmunds is only good for invoice pricing.Their reviews suck juevos.
ditto
Old 12-17-2003 | 04:56 PM
azjimbo

Why is it that every review I read on the Z they always mention about the lack of space.It is a darn 2 seat sports car.I have seen the RX-8 up close and the looks are nothing like the Z.Also they say the RX-8 feels more nimble yet the Z had a slightly faster slalom time.Go figure?
Old 12-17-2003 | 05:03 PM
yobri
350Z-holic
Premier Member

As to looks, the RX-8 is not a bad looking car. I think that the Mazda 6 looks pretty nice also. If I had to choose either or, it would definitely be a tough decision.

But neither of those two cars have the "flare" and attention-status that the Z has. Especially not the 8, as some people keep pushing.
Old 12-17-2003 | 05:32 PM
EL Diablo

I see a few Z's a week on the Roads. Since the Rx8 came out I've seen maybe 3.

There is your review. nuff said.
Old 12-17-2003 | 06:05 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

Originally posted by azjimbo
Why is it that every review I read on the Z they always mention about the lack of space.It is a darn 2 seat sports car.I have seen the RX-8 up close and the looks are nothing like the Z.Also they say the RX-8 feels more nimble yet the Z had a slightly faster slalom time.Go figure?
everyone wants a sedan; didnt you know? you dont buy a sports car for speed or handling; you want it to look good; hold 4 people; and have a comfy interior.

thats why the ultimate sports cars are the boxster and even the new crossfire. screw performance value; its all about the interior and trunk space.
Old 12-17-2003 | 07:02 PM
Beamm

I think part of the problem here is that nobody knows what to do with the RX8. Is it a sports car? Well, it doesn't have the numbers to compete with many sports cars out there. Is it a lux car? Well, it doesn't have enough of that either (I mean you can get better interior features, i.e. ACC, in a G35 for almost same price and more performance). So what the heck do you compare it to? Well, nothing I don't think. I can't think of anything to compare the RX8 to...and if that's what FoMoCo wanted to do then they accomplished it (I personally think it's stupid and will hurt sales). So, I never read anything about RX8 v. anything because I fail to see how the comparison can be made (unless they do a test with a similar car, I'm willing to let the mags convince me that I'm wrong and that there is something similar out there). Anyway, I just ignore it, they can't compare the RX8 with the Z any more than they could compare the RX8 with a Taurus...I mean the Taurus has more room in it doesn't it? And it has 4 doors and seats 5...that's kinda similar to an RX8 isn't it? Riiight....
Old 12-17-2003 | 07:12 PM
zlove

Hey for those who think Edmund's reviews suck (which most of the time they do) keep in mind that they picked the 350z as the "Most Significant Car of 2003"!

here is that article
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostwanted/2003/77151/

Last edited by zlove; 12-17-2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2003 | 08:13 PM
pmturcotte

Am I the only one that looks at the 8 and sees the Mustang profile? I didnt notice it until my fiance said something, now everytime I see one I say yeah, it sure as hell does.
Old 12-18-2003 | 10:16 AM
Norel350Z

I don't get it, THe Z beats the 8 in preformance hands down, and its 200 lbs heavier.. how the F*&# did they figure it the better buy... if there is one thing i can't stand, its idiot car reviewers..

Stupid People anger me

For christ sakes, the damn thing does the 1/4 in 15, how the hell is that a sports car?
Old 12-18-2003 | 07:00 PM
Montez

Originally posted by ares
I find some reviews miss the purpose of a sports car.

all I see there was shitty quarter miles from both cars(14.6 on the Z? uhhhhh; I can do better than that; and Im not a race driver) but either way the Z won in quarter mile, 0-60, and skidpad. lost on braking.

I think a bit too much weight was given to interior comforts on the rx8 and the fact that it had 4 doors; I guess I missed the part where it was a luxury sedan test. when you test sports cars they better win at what their meant to do; and that is drive fast; and handle well. the Z won. if the rx8 is the "better" car cause its interior is better; more power to them; Im not doubting myself atleast.tho I would have just gotten an accord or something...
They did mention its not the fastest times for a Z, but good for one with many Journalist miles on it. Ironic I would say since the car should be a tad quciker with miles the VQ gets better with mileage 9 times out of 10.
Old 12-18-2003 | 08:28 PM
Beamm

Originally posted by pmturcotte
Am I the only one that looks at the 8 and sees the Mustang profile? I didnt notice it until my fiance said something, now everytime I see one I say yeah, it sure as hell does.
Mazda = Ford. Not sure which platform 8 was built on, could be similar to Mustang...but you are right, I do see some mustang in the profile.
Old 12-19-2003 | 07:04 AM
ShermanA

I too have had enough of Edmunds. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but they don't even get the facts right.

They posted several articles about the same long-term test Track Z and complained over and over about how harsh the ride is. They then tested a Touring version and waxed poetic about the smoother ride and handling!

I wrote to them twice and pointed out that the suspensions are identical. They eventually changed their tune and ascribed the difference in ride on the difference in the seats!!

What a bunch of cement heads. Makes all of their reviews suspect.

Sherman
Old 12-19-2003 | 12:10 PM
SublimaZe

I agree, the comparison is a joke. Even with their crappy driver the Z beats the 8 in all of the measures that matter to someone buying a performance vehicle, yet because the 8's ride is softer and it has back seats, they deem the RX-8 the better "sports car". Give me a break......

I owned an RX-8 for 3 months, drove it for 6 weeks before dumping it back on Mazda and buying a Z. Couldn't be happier with the decision.