Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone driving an auto trans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Hey Ya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dchengmd, you are my soul mate, what are you doing this weekend?

Just kidding, but I do believe we share the same opinions on this. Lucky for me, my auto finger clicked submit first.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:10 PM
joust75

I think over the next few years SMG will gradually replace the true manual transmission now that more of them are showing up in production cars and manufacturers are finding more cost-effective ways to put them in cars. It really is a superior version of a manual transmission - a hell of a lot faster than any human can shift gears. However, if you like the 'experience' of a manual and enjoy actuating a clutch, which some people do, then you might not like it as much.
I have driven an F1 trannied F360. I loved it and could probably handle that over a manual. Once you experience the aural symphony of a downshift on an SMG or f-1 (lightning fast rev-matching)
It is the shifting of a manual that I like, not really the clutch action! This is an argument for an autostick but a torque converter cant compare to a clutch and I really dont see the difference between using autostick and simply selecting the gear you want on a non autostick equipped auto

Better check those facts again. It's pretty well known that stock vs. stock, in a straight line quarter mile the AT Z will beat a 6MT mainly because of closer gear ratios (5 versus 6 gears) and faster and more optimal shifting by the AT. No matter how good a driver you are, you won't be able to shift as quickly as the AT.
With all respect. You had better check your facts. Less gears means they have to be taller. otherwise youll be redlining at 100mph in 5th gear. Not only are these gears probably taller, but I know the Zs final drive ring in the diff (on the auto) is taller. There is a reason the Z has six gears. The reason you are not driving a six speed auto is only because of cost issues.

Just curious - have you had a chance to really drive an AT Z? Again, from most reports here and from my own personal experience I've found that the auto tranny on the 350 is one of the smoothest and most adaptive I've ever driven - meaning that when I'm at WOT the shifts are fast and smooth and at redline. When I'm taking it easy, it shifts sooner. In either situation, I haven't felt any jolts or jarring. It really is a great auto tranny.
Actually no , but technically yes. I drove my girls G35 coupe on numerous occaisions. Its a good auto, but no sub for a manny!

It's all cool. I don't expect you to change your mind, and you shouldn't either. Personally, I probably would have preferred to buy a 6MT myself, except for the fact that my SO will only drive an AT (one of the reasons you listed above). The difference between you and swizzle is, of course, the respect you've shown for everyone here.
All good! My co worker is in the same boat. he had to buy an auto G35 because his wife hates stick. I am fearful of meeting the woman that makes me drive an auto!

#4 Person goes to the dealer one day looking at Maximas (with the Z in the back of his mind) and ends up getting talked into Z, but the only ones on the lot are autos, a combination of impluse and impatience

#5 Person drives 66 miles round-trip 5 days a week in Dallas traffic.
I apologize. My list was very short and overersighted. i hope I didnt come across as a moron
Old 01-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey Ya

It's cool, just as long as you understand there are pros/cons to both, which it seems like you do.

About the straight-line acceleration, I think it's jonsilvz that has a 14.0 1/4 time in his sig. For a stock auto, I'd say that is right there with the 6MTs. BTW, I can hold it up to ~100-101 in 3rd (manual mode) which should hold me through the 1/4 mile, although I haven't taken it to the track yet - less shifting = better time.

Man I need to eat. Later.

Last edited by Hey Ya; 01-26-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:16 PM
BIGDAWG75

Originally posted by ZU L8R
considering all the problems people have been having with the six speeds I'd say it's also a little safer to go with the auto. It's g

onna be your car though, buy what YOU want.

what have you heard?
Old 01-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by BIGDAWG75
what have you heard?
I think there have been about 3? updates to the 6MT tranny since the first Z's were built. Problems shifting into 3rd (grinding) I'm not too sure as mine's an AT. Try a search.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:36 PM
EL Diablo

The 5AT has a slight lag changing gears when you shift.
I hated waiting the second it took for the gear to engage.
It's some sort of electronic hesitation.

would this cause slower 5AT times Vs. 6MT

What do you think?
Old 01-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by EL Diablo
The 5AT has a slight lag changing gears when you shift.
I hated waiting the second it took for the gear to engage.
It's some sort of electronic hesitation.

would this cause slower 5AT times Vs. 6MT

What do you think?
I think your avatar is scary.

No seriously, I'm not too sure, I'd like to see a video of two Z's in the 1/4 (one auto, one mt) Someone please let me know if there's one out there. You might be right but I'm guessing the 6MT is well into 4th gear as it crosses the 1/4 mi, while you could hold 3rd in the AT, so 2 shifts rather than 3 would cut this loss? Who knows, I need to go to the track...
Old 01-26-2004, 04:30 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by joust75
With all respect. You had better check your facts. Less gears means they have to be taller. otherwise youll be redlining at 100mph in 5th gear. Not only are these gears probably taller, but I know the Zs final drive ring in the diff (on the auto) is taller. There is a reason the Z has six gears. The reason you are not driving a six speed auto is only because of cost issues.
Er, you are correct here, sorry. Had my gearing terminology mixed up.

Regardless of who's right about which tranny is faster, the difference between the two would only be 0.1 to 0.2 seconds in the 0-60 at best. There have been quite a few threads here discussing this issue, and I think the final conclusion is that even with a good 6MT driver versus a 5AT pedal masher, the difference in speed would be negligible off the track.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:46 PM
ajk4

i drive a 5at, so i'm gonna play devil's advocate here. i think were forgetting one of the main advantages of the 6mt. because we have a torque converter instead of an smg there is about 7% more drivetrain loss when compared with the 6mt (22% vs. 15%). this not only means about ten more hp out of the box, but when you add any performance products you will experience this also.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:50 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by ajk4
i drive a 5at, so i'm gonna play devil's advocate here. i think were forgetting one of the main advantages of the 6mt. because we have a torque converter instead of an smg there is about 7% more drivetrain loss when compared with the 6mt (22% vs. 15%). this not only means about ten more hp out of the box, but when you add any performance products you will experience this also.
This is true. However, how many situations will you be in where that amount of hp will make an actual difference? On the track maybe, but in daily life, most likely never. Plus, performance wise, stock vs. stock, there isn't any significant real-world difference.

Of course, this doesn't apply at the dragstrip or the track.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Anyone driving an auto trans?

Originally posted by kevintari
Waddya think?

Can I have an auto and still get a fun to drive sports car?

Can't deal with LA traffic in a 6-spd...
The manumatic mode makes all the difference. W/O it, I wouldn't be satisfied; with it, its just as much fun as a true manual. Actually, I like it better than any manual sports car I've ever owned and I didn't have to pay for an SMG. If it were on a 4 cylinder 2 liter, I wouldn't like it at all. The VQ's torque fits it perfectly. It won't shift unless you shift it, otherwise, it will bang into the rev limiter all day, but it defaults to 1st when you stop. The best of both worlds, w/o paying for both.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-26-2004 at 05:04 PM.