Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Behaviors only car lovers understand

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Behaviors only car lovers understand

You guys know what I'm talking about. Whether it's parking football fields away from other cars, cringing when people use car wash brushes on their paint, getting pissed off for hitting large bumps you could have avoided, etc.

What separates you from the average car owner? And how people react to the lengths you take to keep your baby in the best possible shape?

I'll start: every time I drive somewhere, I park ridiculously far away...and I mean REALLY far out. Usually my passenger will get annoyed and make a stupid comment about having to walk, but hey it's exercise right?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM
kfoote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A post I made on another forum several years back in response to someone mentioning that Royal Purple gear oil isn't grape flavored:

Their [Royal Purple] engine oils do have a hint of grape flavor to them.

Also, Redline ATF D4 does not taste like strawberry
ATE Super Blue tastes like neither blueberry nor blue raspberry
Pennzoil Antifreeze does not taste like lemon
Used Valvoline 20w50 does not taste like chocolate
Mobil 1 0w30 does not taste like Coors Light, though I'm not sure which tastes better.

In my experience, most automotive fluids do not taste like you would expect their convenience store beverage counterparts to. Royal Purple is the exception.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 AM
jhowald93

Don't use brushes when washing cars? I detail cars all the time at work and we use soft, non scratching brushes on every car. Just don't use the drive thru car washes, and I don't park far away at all, having a nice car parked far away from everyone else makes it even more noticable and easier to mess with IMO. But yeah I'm slammed so bumps that I memorize and hit, or ones that are so big I question the thoughts of workers who built the road suck a lot xD
Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by jhowald93
Don't use brushes when washing cars? I detail cars all the time at work and we use soft, non scratching brushes on every car. Just don't use the drive thru car washes, and I don't park far away at all, having a nice car parked far away from everyone else makes it even more noticable and easier to mess with IMO. But yeah I'm slammed so bumps that I memorize and hit, or ones that are so big I question the thoughts of workers who built the road suck a lot xD
I'd think the chances of getting a door ding are much higher than someone vandalizing your car for no reason. I've been hit and run 3 times so I'm really careful about that stuff. And yeah as far as brushes I meant the ones at drive thru and self serves. I've seen them dropped on the ground so I'd never use one
Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That second post is hilarious!

One of my many ocd behavior is to avoid pot holes. Motordyne posted a picture on fb that was pretty humorous.

Last edited by TuckerE36; 06-17-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM
NissanZguy

God were to begin.

Every weekend I'll wash,detail and vacuum for about 4 hours...even if it doesn't need it. .

Every-time I walk to the car I give it a 25 point inspection...even if I'm just going out for a burger.

If I see any bird poop, it must be removed immediately! Same for scratches.

OCD is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my cars. Especially if its a Nissan.

Last edited by NissanZguy; 06-17-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM
radiocrash

Originally Posted by TuckerE36
That second post is hilarious!

One of my many ocd behavior is to avoid pot holes. Motordyne posted a picture on fb that was pretty humorous.

I'm on the same boat man. I purposely avoid roads that I know are beat up. My brother tells me I should get the sticker that reads "I'm not drunk I'm avoiding potholes" haha

Originally Posted by NissanZguy
God were to begin.

Every weekend I'll wash,detail and vacuum for about 4 hours...even if it doesn't need it. .

Every-time I walk to the car I give it a 25 point inspection...even if I'm just going out for a burger.

If I see any bird poop, it must removed immediately! Same for scratches.

OCD is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my cars. Especially if its a Nissan.
I do that too!! Every time I start up the car in the morning I get out and walk around making sure everything is good haha. I live in a townhouse with careless neighbors so I'm always on the look out
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM
ZGuts

It's really hard trying to maintain a relationship when your girlfriend doesn't understand this. She always gets mad when I say "I love you" while driving and she responds with an "I love you too" but I tell her that I was talking to my car, not her...lol
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

The notorious angled crawl up and down driveways and parking lot entrances.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Masturbating to exhaust clips on Youtube?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM
NissanZguy

Originally Posted by ZGuts
It's really hard trying to maintain a relationship when your girlfriend doesn't understand this. She always gets mad when I say "I love you" while driving and she responds with an "I love you too" but I tell her that I was talking to my car, not her...lol
Preach!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Syner
Masturbating to exhaust clips on Youtube?
And I thought I was the only one...
Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

I get pissed when I have a passenger and they open/close their door by holding on to the window. I hate getting finger prints on my windows.

However, if I'm on a date, I always open and close the door for her...because I'm a classy gentleman like that
Old 06-17-2013, 03:36 PM
stuartc323

I wash, wax, detail my car every week, I make sure the inside is clean all the time, ie no trash, no receipts, old *** fries anything at all. I always open the door for girls so they dont scratch with their heels or their jewelry, and i perform my own maintenance and performance installs.

I park hella far and walk a mile, even at the grocery store, one because im not lazy and two because i dont want to go to jail for vandalism lol
Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 PM
GreyZ33Track

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't let my wife drive the car.....She is not a fan of this policy:-D
Old 06-17-2013, 05:09 PM
knuckles899

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

/\
I
I
+ 1

I see how my girl treats her G35 coupe 6mt.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I wash and wax every week, I do a full inspection before and after I drive it and then use quick detailer to get rid of any dust/bugs/bird poop/and bugs, I'm notorious for parking far, I use 3 different car covers on my car, I clean the rims after every drive to take away any brake dust that accumulated, I avoid pot holes and bumps at all cost even though I have stock suspension (you still screw up your wheel alignment and suspension when you drop into potholes), I clean out the exhaust tips every week to keep them looking nice and shiny, if there's rain in the forecast I take my Toyota instead and leave my Z and M3 at home, and if i'm going anywhere where there's going to be drinking I take the Toyota because drunk people always like to screw with people's cars.

Oh yeah, no one drives my Z or my M3 but me. I tried to teach my girlfriend to drive stick with my Z and her being a bird brain grinded gears even though I literally said "push the clutch down before you even touch the shift ****" a thousand times. From that day on she's always in the passenger seat.

Last edited by Jah70; 06-18-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on all that. Although, no matter where I park there is always that "one" person who parks next to it. Another thing is, I've noticed that to warm up everything properly I shift at 1750 during the first 1 minute, then to 2k, then to 2500 when I get on the road and up to 3k on the highway. Lastly, I pause slightly into neutral on a first to second shift and angle into driveways and bumps. People keep looking like my car is broken or something. lol
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh yeah, I also don't drive my car until the heat gauge reaches the middle or just above the cold. Usually this takes about 5-10 minutes and +1 about driving at low rpms when it's just warmed up. I go no where near 2500 rpm when it's just warm until after a few minutes of driving and I always shift directly to a higher gear (from 1st to 3rd then 3rd to 5th or 6th) to minimize any wear and tear on my clutch and transmission. I also use cruise control whenever possible.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My God you people are ****!! J/K. I remember I did all this too when I had my 350Z. I just bought a 2013 370Z and promised myself I wouldnt do this stuff. its just a car. For the most part Im doing well. My past worst offences were the parking issues like many of you stated. I dont do that so much any longer, though i do look hard to find a nice corner spot I can back into. LOL.

Quick Reply: Behaviors only car lovers understand