Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Looking to start modding(any advice)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Stormd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to start modding(any advice)

hey everyone, first off id like to say thank you for looking at my thread. just joined the forum. I went through the thread for beginners on modding and well i had a few questions hopefully looking for advice i need. I just bought my first z last month. 03 350z track package with 139k miles. I love the car and ive always owned hondas so my main concern was always wheels tires accessories etc. But now my new mindset is all HP gains. I've been looking at exhaust/intake/tuning etc as well as pricing. My goals arent super high i just want the most out of my car street driven that i can get without risking damage to it. I was reading about getting work done to fuel system as far as increasing it and etc. So basically what im wondering is what should i go with first? These will be the first mods ive done to the car other than the stock airbox with a k&n air filter. ANY advice you guys have im open to. Thanks again for reading and i Appreciate it
Old 04-26-2015, 06:58 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

First of all know what youre getting yourself into. Full bolt on is about 5-10k and your gains are minimal. I belive the max for full bolt on is about 300hp.

Boosting the car is going to be EXPENSIVE and not worth it.

3rdly, at 139k i would be more focused on maintaining the car and making sure fluids and bushings are fresh as appose to going after hp gains.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Stormd

Originally Posted by turboed350z
First of all know what youre getting yourself into. Full bolt on is about 5-10k and your gains are minimal. I belive the max for full bolt on is about 300hp.

Boosting the car is going to be EXPENSIVE and not worth it.

3rdly, at 139k i would be more focused on maintaining the car and making sure fluids and bushings are fresh as appose to going after hp gains.
Hey, thanks for posting. So basically modding would be a waste of money.. I didnt think 139k was to bad. But i appreciate it. I start looking into maintenance now as to what i will need.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:42 PM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Like he said, you're going to spend a lot just for bolt-ons with little gain or spend a lot when you could just buy a new car altogether.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z

That x100.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:48 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

read read read / search search search / research research research...

Read the retarded threads that others have created and how they went south (fast) and don't do that!

figure out what you want to do - supercharge / turbo / NA and find someone who's done a build very similar build and read what they've done, the mistakes theyve made, the successes theyve had...start a build thread (only one) and track your progress, ask your questions within your thread and only your thread.

There's a saying a career-coach I used back in college used to say and it is: "People like to help people like themselves" So find someone who's doing your build and make friends with them, memorize their threads so you don't ask questions that have already been asked/answered,etc.

Be humble and thankful - no one here is on your payroll, any information you get from here is free and at the time & expense of others.

Don't start arguments or be confrontational
Old 04-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Stormd

thanks for all the advice! I think first thing ill be working on is upkeep and maintenance now. I feel a new clutch coming lol..
Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Here's some specific suggestions on what to do to your Z to keep it running well, as well as learning how to work on it yourself. This particularly applies if you don't have any service records for the car. Spend your money wisely with these seven "mods":

1) Intake cartridge- change it out for a K&N recleanable air filter and know that most CAIs have negligible HP gains by themselves. The factory did a good job from the start.

2) Spark plugs- stick with the NGK models that came with the Z. They s/b changed at 100K.

3) Accessory belt- learn to do this yourself. It's a good time to do it when you perform an oil/filter change and pull the bottom engine tray.

4) Change out the tranny fluid to Redline MT85. Three quarts should be enough and will help keep those syncros in good shape.

5) Swap out the VLSD lubricant while you're at it. It requires a different lubricant (with high pressure additives) than the gearbox, so check the viscocity requirements and pick a quality product.

6) Replace the OEM shocks as they've seen more than enough miles. There's plenty of aftermarket choices, so do some research and make a choice. This also the time to consider whether lowering springs are in your budget. Always do a four-wheel alignment after any suspension work.

7) Might as well consider swaybars at this point as well. They'll help your track model corner flatter and can be adjustable or fixed.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Stormd

Thanks so much for all that!!! I cannot wait to start getting this done. Suspension was definitely on my list of to do no matter what. Im considering the 1 in by .8 inch lowering spring with new bilstein struts
Old 04-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Frank_White

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 for the maintenance! you should start modding when you have a clean slate to work with
Old 04-26-2015, 09:31 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what a change of pace.. a noob thread, and the noob actually went about asking question in a sensible way, obviously did some kind of research as well.. not saying you did a lot, but some at least. Bravo to you for that.

Although I disagree with 5-10k for full boltons.. unless your including coilovers and other suspension parts in that, and then your probably pretty accurate.. however intake/exhaust boltons aren't too bad

Ive only spent $700ish on intake/exhaust.. given I bought the replica exhaust from a forum member for real cheap and he threw in test pipes for free (nice guy for that) however I'm thinking about getting the agency power single... Just kinda dont want a single...

Fact of the matter is the expensive part is going to be the exhaust and figuring out which setup you like best.
Don't be discouraged from doing boltons, with doing bigger injectors as well you might get to the 270-280 range with a decent tune, really depends on the car though, good luck, look forward to seeing you do some good mods.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Stormd

Well before I started wanting to mod I looked into a lot of different set ups/builds and since i didn't wanna do a huge race car status build I figured bolt ons/tuning would be best but I didn't realize 139k was that bad until now. I was actually looking into getting the bigger injectors/pump, Invidia n1 exhaust, popcharger, headers, tune and call it done then start working on appearance. Now though I realize I need to take a whole different direction
Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 PM
PlainWhite350z

Welcome. I'll x2 what most have said so far, especially the kudos for introducing yourself the right way.

All of the following is just my 2 cents. Take it for just that.

I'll assume that you have a reasonably modest budget (based on the purchase of a "higher mileage" earlier year model) so your path will, and should, be different that that of someone with a low mileage '08 or 370. I'm in the same boat, and will primarily suggest the following 2 things:

1) Set aside a significant amount of money, whatever you can be comfortable with (I'll suggest maybe 1-2k), and DON'T TOUCH IT. While 139k is not an obscene amount of miles in the grand scheme of things, it is substantial. Things will break, most likely when you don't expect them to. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails more than having to park your project due to an unforeseen repair expense. With the modding bug, not touching this money will drive you nuts, but it's a necessity with any higher mileage or older car imho.

2) UPGRADE BY NECESSITY. This is the theme I've used with every car I've owned so far. Having a car that needs things due to age/miles isn't necessarily a bad thing for someone with the customization bug. Look at each thing that the car needs as an opportunity to see if you can improve it while fixing the problem. Shocks worn out? Take this opportunity to do a ton of research and decide what your ultimate suspension goals are, and replace them with parts that get you closer to that. Consider replacing bushings with firmer Whiteline versions while you have things apart for the shocks, so you're not doing double work later down the line. Need to change the diff fluid anyways? Maybe take this time to consider a Nismo finned diff cover since you'll be working there anyways. Battery on it's way out? Consider your eventual goals for the audio system, and get a battery that may set you up better in the long run, even if it might seem like overkill now. Basically, you're using these opportunities to minimize the number of functional, working parts you're replacing while customizing the car, thereby saving money and killing many birds with few stones.

You'll see, as most of us have, that this forum is an absolute WEALTH of information. Just about every question you could possibly have has been asked and answered many times over, which is AWESOME. I spend many a night just browsing through page after page of posts, just because there is so much to learn. At the end of the day, have fun with it. Make your car exactly what you want it to be, and let the knowledgeable people here on this forum help you get it there as easily and quickly as possible.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:49 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PlainWhite350z
Welcome. I'll x2 what most have said so far, especially the kudos for introducing yourself the right way.

I'll assume that you have a reasonably modest budget (based on the purchase of a "higher mileage" earlier year model) so your path will, and should, be different that that of someone with a low mileage '08 or 370. I'm in the same boat, and will primarily suggest the following 2 things:

1) Set aside a significant amount of money, whatever you can be comfortable with (I'll suggest maybe 1-2k), and DON'T TOUCH IT. While 139k is not an obscene amount of miles in the grand scheme of things, it is substantial. Things will break, most likely when you don't expect them to. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails more than having to park your project due to an unforeseen repair expense. With the modding bug, not touching this money will drive you nuts, but it's a necessity with any higher mileage or older car imho.

2) UPGRADE BY NECESSITY. This is the theme I've used with every car I've owned so far. Having a car that needs things due to age/miles isn't necessarily a bad thing for someone with the customization bug. Look at each thing that the car needs as an opportunity to see if you can improve it while fixing the problem. Shocks worn out? Take this opportunity to do a ton of research and decide what your ultimate suspension goals are, and replace them with parts that get you closer to that. Consider replacing bushings with firmer Whiteline versions while you have things apart for the shocks, so you're not doing double work later down the line. Need to change the diff fluid anyways? Maybe take this time to consider a Nismo finned diff cover since you'll be working there anyways. Battery on it's way out? Consider your eventual goals for the audio system, and get a battery that may set you up better in the long run, even if it might seem like overkill now. Basically, you're using these opportunities to minimize the number of functional, working parts you're replacing while customizing the car, thereby saving money and killing many birds with few stones.

You'll see, as most of us have, that this forum is an absolute WEALTH of information. Just about every question you could possibly have has been asked and answered many times over, which is AWESOME. I spend many a night just browsing through page after page of posts, just because there is so much to learn. At the end of the day, have fun with it. Make your car exactly what you want it to be, and let the knowledgeable people here on this forum help you get it there as easily and quickly as possible.
wow, could not have said this better myself.

And i for one nominate this single post to be a sticky and locked, so those new comers may read this lol..

Truley inspirational post!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 AM
Stormd

Originally Posted by PlainWhite350z

Thanks for all of that! Advice like this gets my mindset rolling of building my list even bigger of things that could/should be done. I really appreciate everything that's been said so far. I couldn't have asked for better advice
Old 04-27-2015, 05:10 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda
Wow, what a change of pace.. a noob thread, and the noob actually went about asking question in a sensible way, obviously did some kind of research as well.. not saying you did a lot, but some at least. Bravo to you for that.

Although I disagree with 5-10k for full boltons.. unless your including coilovers and other suspension parts in that, and then your probably pretty accurate.. however intake/exhaust boltons aren't too bad

Ive only spent $700ish on intake/exhaust.. given I bought the replica exhaust from a forum member for real cheap and he threw in test pipes for free (nice guy for that) however I'm thinking about getting the agency power single... Just kinda dont want a single...

Fact of the matter is the expensive part is going to be the exhaust and figuring out which setup you like best.
Don't be discouraged from doing boltons, with doing bigger injectors as well you might get to the 270-280 range with a decent tune, really depends on the car though, good luck, look forward to seeing you do some good mods.

Well full bolt on in my book includes suspensions. Whats power if you cant get it to the ground? And my price was base on new. Obviously its cheaper if you buy use and replica parts. But i figure some purist out there only buy new name brand parts so i gave it a little wiggle room to work with.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:40 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormd
I figured bolt ons/tuning would be best but I didn't realize 139k was that bad until now. I was actually looking into getting the bigger injectors/pump, Invidia n1 exhaust, popcharger, headers, tune and call it done then start working on appearance. Now though I realize I need to take a whole different direction
This comment made me think that many new Z33 owners really don't know what the recommended service intervals for this model are. Also, some new owners may not have any service records (or even a factory warranty book) for their cars. This is absolutely CRITICAL reading and if absent, means the new owner should assume NONE of the items have been properly completed.

Realize that there's nothing "that bad" with 139K miles on any Z if it's been properly maintained. But maintenance s/b JOB #1 before any of the mods you've listed. Take a close look at the "maintenance and repair" section of my350Z and you'll find many threads were either caused by poor maintenance practices, or mods gone wrong.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:44 AM
Stormd

Originally Posted by dkmura
This comment made me think that many new Z33 owners really don't know what the recommended service intervals for this model are. Also, some new owners may not have any service records (or even a factory warranty book) for their cars. This is absolutely CRITICAL reading and if absent, means the new owner should assume NONE of the items have been properly completed.

Realize that there's nothing "that bad" with 139K miles on any Z if it's been properly maintained. But maintenance s/b JOB #1 before any of the mods you've listed. Take a close look at the "maintenance and repair" section of my350Z and you'll find many threads were either caused by poor maintenance practices, or mods gone wrong.
Yea I feel pretty ridiculous after reading a lot of the posts mentioning maintenance. Ive always wanted a 350z since I was 12 when I seen them. I always owned Honda's so routine maintenance on a fwd 4 cylinder was never that bad or a first priority to me sinice it was never anything I had to worry about someone racing. (Bad assumption sometimes with ricer kids) anyway I appreciate you telling me about that ill head to that forum and start checking it out and reading up
Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

+1 to dk and plainwhite.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

If you want the car to go faster, the most cost-effective mod is the driver mod.

Around a 60 second course, bolt-on's might get you 2 seconds.

A good driving school + additional seat time will get you about 10 seconds.

Quick Reply: Looking to start modding(any advice)