Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding True coil over style coils

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Gadget

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Question regarding True coil over style coils

So I read a bunch of articles and posts here about the differences and pros and cons but none of them really help me, i want the tein flex Z coilovers but they use the rear spring bucket (which I want to delete for my adjustable toe kit I have) instead of spending hundreds on an adjustable bucket. Is there anyway to convert the rears into true coil over strut design? Or is there a set of true style coilovers recommended? Max budget including tax and shipping is $1,000. Use is just comfortable daily driving with maybe a little bit of track here and there.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 AM
lifekenophobic

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadget
Max budget including tax and shipping is $1,000.
Start browsing the marketplace then, because you won't find anything brand new that is worth your time for that amount.

Last edited by lifekenophobic; 09-18-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:55 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

$1000 for a set of quality true-coilovers is pretty light. Most manufactures have entry level kits around the $1200 to $1500 range but are just that 'entry-level'. I would save up for a mid-range set from a trusted manufacture with a good reputation.

Furthermore, you can eliminate the OEM spring bucket but you will need to purchase 'traction arms' (as some call it) to replace the OEM spring bucket. I would absolutely not skimp on this item as if it gives out you will cause serious damage to your suspension and could lose control of the vehicle at speed causing an accident.

Ive found that with suspension components you truly get what you pay for -
Old 09-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Gadget

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I only need entry level, im not going to be beating the car to the point where I need $4,000 coilovers. Even the $500 truhart coils would have worked well for what ill be using them for. I just wanted a smoother ride which the teins and BC will give over the cheaper brands. Honestly both the tein flex z and BC coils are great coils for the price. Neither of you answered my question about is there a conversion kit to make them true style to remove the bucket, since I already have the "traction bar" to replace it with, my issue is if I go with teins with the oem style shock and spring I'll need the bucket.

Anyway, I went with the tein flex Z ,i know a few people with them and say good things.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:09 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadget
Neither of you answered my question
not that I'm aware of ... gotta pay to play and you get what you pay for.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

You probably want to contact Ground Control. They make conversion kits for early Z car, BMWs, etc. 350Z, not sure.

Conversion for S30 runs about $500 not including welding and setup. By the time you're done, you're going to be well over your price limit, which honestly, doesn't buy much. There are one-grand true coilovers out there but as was stated, you get what you pay for.

To be quite honest, I really don't see the purpose or need to run true coilovers unless you're weight jacking/corner weighting to go racing. Most mfgrs offer the same shock/spring configuration as stock (independent units) because, simply stated, it works. Rear toe can be achieved through many other means, specifically, for a street driven car, toe eccentric cam bolt arrangement. This works just fine unless you have a need for extreme toe angles. Also, by retaining the spring bucket arrangement, they've retained a very key engineered aspect of the OE suspension - anti-squat - particularly needed to avoid unnecessary weight transfer off the front end while accelerating out of a turn.

Just my $.02
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
bad boyz (09-18-2018), bealljk (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Suspension

If your looking for a better ride you should really consider better springs and shocks over true coilovers such as a Bilstein or another premium brand on that same level for a daily driver or stick with stock, Oem there's been a lot of research and development invested in the stock setup probably over your budget but I feel these will give you what your looking for!

Last edited by bad boyz; 09-18-2018 at 10:30 PM. Reason: posted wrong pic
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:57 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by bad boyz
If your looking for a better ride you should really consider better springs and shocks over true coilovers such as a Bilstein or another premium brand on that same level for a daily driver or stick with stock, Oem there's been a lot of research and development invested in the stock setup probably over your budget but I feel these will give you what your looking for!
Interesting.... over budget? I dunno, that pic of the Bilstein B12 Prokit is a down right steal at $849 from where you got the pic.

Something else I learned not long ago (and it's also stated at CZP site): the springs from the B12 Prokit are NOT ProKit springs despite them being made by Eibach. Rather, they're custom wound with a rate matching the Bilstein shocks for a particular car. The partnership between Bilstein and Eibach is such that they do work together to set up a matched set for each of the Bilstein Prokit application cars.... 350Z, BMW, etc. Hmmm, that means I'm running springs unfit for my Konis?? Nahhhh, like I've said so many times, springs aren't an EXACT science for the street but guess mine are slightly mismatched vis a vis when I ran them with Bilsteins...oh no!!! Hahahahaha.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:59 AM
SonnyWu

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank me later. HSD true coilovers. Cost with install came to $1200. Save big if you can do it yourself.
So far no problems after 7000 miles.

HSD true coilovers

HSD true coilovers

HSD true coilovers.