Sponsored by:

Grinding noise video attached

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:40 AM
Mikesawce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise video attached

Hello names Mike,
been happening for a couple days now and I can't find a solution namely because of my description of the noise doesn't really help anyone via text. Please watch the video and excuse the volume or lighting and the mess behind me Haha! Not a video editor just used my phone. Any insight would be wonderful. Thank you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZguKPvuyYo
Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like it could be a failing pulley, or bearing attached to one of the peripherals, such as the alternator, etc...

You could take the belt off, and try to spin some of the pulleys by hand, to see if you can produce the sound.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Mikesawce

One of my buddies at the motor pool said it sounds like a bearing on a pulley so that's 2 people saying pulley bearings I think you guys are on to something! Thanks my dude
Old 11-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Bonfiggy

Originally Posted by Mikesawce
One of my buddies at the motor pool said it sounds like a bearing on a pulley so that's 2 people saying pulley bearings I think you guys are on to something! Thanks my dude
yes it could be this, belt, or even something as simple as a wire or something rubbing on one of your fans. It is a bit hard to tell from the video but i would start there.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:43 AM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Somethings getting rattled. It's intermittent so I doubt it's a pulley. When the rpm's fluctuate is probably when it rattles. If it is a pulley, I bet it's the a/c clutch.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:25 PM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

99% confident it's a bearing running off the accessory belts. As previously suggested, your best bet is to remove the belts and try each accessory by hand, if you notice any of the bearings spinning loose, that's most likely your issue. The pulley bearings should spin smoothly, but there shouldn't be any play or wobble. If it sounds or feels like a skate bearing, you got a problem.
-Icer
Old 11-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Mikesawce

Originally Posted by Bonfiggy
yes it could be this, belt, or even something as simple as a wire or something rubbing on one of your fans. It is a bit hard to tell from the video but i would start there.
I've looked around and I have my harness and most of my wires tucked. But I'll double check thanks!

Old 11-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Mikesawce

Originally Posted by icer5160
99% confident it's a bearing running off the accessory belts. As previously suggested, your best bet is to remove the belts and try each accessory by hand, if you notice any of the bearings spinning loose, that's most likely your issue. The pulley bearings should spin smoothly, but there shouldn't be any play or wobble. If it sounds or feels like a skate bearing, you got a problem.
-Icer
I'm thinking the same I just haven't taken the time to pull the belts off and check I've been at the motor pool all day I'll will take them off tonight and update you guys for future reference.

Originally Posted by onevq35de
Somethings getting rattled. It's intermittent so I doubt it's a pulley. When the rpm's fluctuate is probably when it rattles. If it is a pulley, I bet it's the a/c clutch.
The intermittent ​​​​​​side is the issue that made me wonder about it being a pulley bearing but I guess I can only start somewhere.

BTW sorry for double post I don't know how to link more than two guys quotes at the same time on the phone.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster
Sounds like it could be a failing pulley, or bearing attached to one of the peripherals.
I'm with Chihuahuamaster (btw that might be the best screen name) I did my serpentine last summer and immediately after got a vibraty kind of noise. Considering the parameters of the job it has to be the tensioner pulley. But the thing will be fine if you dont fix it right away.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:55 AM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

"Somethings getting rattled. It's intermittent so I doubt it's a pulley. When the rpm's fluctuate is probably when it rattles. If it is a pulley, I bet it's the a/c clutch."
I listened again and gonna change then double down on my bet. I think it's a cat. conv. heat shield.
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 01:51 PM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

I've had this exact type of noise before, true it's most likely not a "pulley" but it is one of the accessories. In my personal case, the root cause was the alternator bearings. I don't know exactly why the noise was intermittent (possibly load on/off cycles), but the alternator was the culprit. Bearings can behave oddly sometimes, especially if there's an axial load put on them, for example if the belt isn't running perfectly aligned on all pulleys.

Suggestion...
Remove the outer belt first and start the engine, listen for noise. If it's gone you just narrowed down your suspects. If the noise persists, you've again eliminated the accessories running off the outer belt. That's probably one of the biggest benefits of having multiple accessory belts on an engine vs. one giant serpentine belt.

Good Luck!
-Icer