Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech making a grinding noise/bearing/computer start up noise randomly

Old 03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
valdeztke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech making a grinding noise/bearing/computer start up noise randomly

Well Saturday we put the 3.12 pulley on the car and put the pulley assembly back together. After starting the car it began making an irregular noise, almost the same sound as a harddrive booting up like a grinding internally or something ..
I cant really figure out where its coming from. I had it up at the shop and we put a new gates belt on it , and it pulled full boost with the belt. Only at idle the SC sounds like something is grinding. Could the jackshaft be loose or crooked? I am pretty sure its the jack shaft that is making the noise ..but I think I may take it in to a different shop tommorow. Let me know if you guys have had any similar problems..
Thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
xxlbeerZ

Maybe you have a virus.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:10 PM
valdeztke

hmm I doubt it Vortech has their own firewall ...
Smart@$$ :P

Come on guys help here .. could I have gotten sane in the pulleys when I had them off to put the other pulley on?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:29 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your cog pulley is more than likely to tight . You should have about 1/2 inch of play both ways and be able to turn the tentioner pulley with just a little effort . check the play on the under side
Old 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM
aron

I have had the EXACT same noise problem with my unit since I had my new Gates belt put on about 3 months ago. It is most apparent at idle and you can hear this grinding noise within the car. I have always had it but it has never caused me a problem. Let me know if you solve this.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
valdeztke

I thought I remember Ben saying something about this Aaron. I havent noticed any problems with making boost or anything.. belt isnt being worn down strangley or anything ..
making around .75 -.8 bar

Ill have to play with the tension pulley
Ill let you guys know what happens ..
thanks Aaron thanks Booger ..
Old 03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Gman2004

I had the same problem and yesterday it was so bad, I thought I broke something. When I started the car this morning and popped the hood, I noticed the bolt that hold my notch pulley was so loose it was almost coming out. Had it tightened and it gone. The car also feels a lot faster? Boost comes on faster.....

Others have had this same problem.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....+PAINT+VORTECH
Old 03-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Barzten1

Mine is pretty noisy in the same way also. No problems with it performance wise
Old 03-24-2005, 08:31 AM
huducks

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I had the same problem and yesterday it was so bad, I thought I broke something. When I started the car this morning and popped the hood, I noticed the bolt that hold my notch pulley was so loose it was almost coming out. Had it tightened and it gone. The car also feels a lot faster? Boost comes on faster.....

Others have had this same problem.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....+PAINT+VORTECH
which pulley are u talking about exactly? the cog pulley on the back side of the blower, or the serpentine pulley on the front?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Gman2004

the back side of the blower. There is some type of metal piece (not part of the vortech) on the car on the bolt was hitting it. It is the bolt that you need an allen key for. Mine was so loose it almost fell off. After it was tightened boost comes on much faster.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:11 PM
huducks

does ne one else have ideas on how to get rid of this noise? after checking the tension on both belts and checking the bolt on the cog pulley on the back of the blower the noise is still there but performance wise everything seems fine...

has it ever occured to ne one that the noise could be caused by the engine oil? i notice when my blower makes the "grumbling" noise its usually when the engine is cold, worse if outside temps are low. i also notice my oil pressure drops and so does the tachometer just slightly when the noise occurs. its obviously a common problem but now w/warmer weather coming up its kind of annoying to watch people stare at ur car not b/c of its style, but b/c of the god awful noise it makes when ur at a stop light.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Gman2004

The only noise I have now is when the rpms drop below 500. It sounds like the bearings in the blower, but this is normal I was told....it is not too loud. I was going to have the dealer bump the idle up 100 rpms to 600. When I have the ac on the rpms automatically go up to 600-700rpms and I don't hear this noise anymore.