Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Next gen Z

Old 03-16-2019, 05:26 AM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Next gen Z

It looks like there's finally something in print about the next generation of Z's and GT-R. DISCUSS!!
Article here

Concept Z

if that first picture is the z concept then I hope to god they do as the Z4 and have the finished product look entirely different. Im also guessing that the manual Z is officially a dinosaur.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:14 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Blah blah blah.... nothing new here. We’ve been going on ad nauseum about this on the “Z35” thread.

Nissan, stop talking shid, build it or kill it.

Until then, stop acting like Toyota did with the rumor mill BS over the Supra. Hype creates disappointment.

And, by the way, that referenced article was circulated here six months ago. So y'see, just more BS rumor hokum that makes its way back around. (Not on you OP, just that this kind of stuff has no merit until there's one that someone - even a jaded journalist - can touch, feel, drive, and has a sticker price.)

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-16-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Well damnit.. i even went back to see if the article was recent. Just my luck
Old 03-16-2019, 09:21 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Cracka350
Well damnit.. i even went back to see if the article was recent. Just my luck
No, appreciate the commentary.... I'm just tired of hearing the same ol' shid from Nissan.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:54 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Sine I started the "Brutal Truth about the Z35" thread back in 2015, there's really been very little substantial news on a new Z. As the former EIC of Nissan Sport Magazine, it's sad to see other journalists sensationalize certain factoids or interviews to get a rise out of us Z fans. One thing to be sure of: while there certainly have been Nissan design studies on what the Z35 might someday look like, there's nothing that's gone beyond that! Perhaps someday a good business case can be made for a next gen Z, but it still doesn't exist at this time.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The Z33 introduction generated a LOT of interest. The Z34 introduction did not have that level of interest (not even close).

Nissan will need significant changes if the Z35 will attract attention at a level they need to sell the car. That is why there are so many rumors and unsubstantiated reports. Notice how many years the Z33 and Z34 remained nearly the same (i.e., without significant changes to body, suspension and engine).

The Z35 will need something more than what has been done in the past. Maybe a mid-engine, e-car, a new body design, etc. And, it must sell. I don't think a Z35 at $50k (or more) will be an attractive sticker price. Remember that the 300ZX went away when it became too expensive.

Last edited by Spike100; 03-16-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:38 AM
fflipski

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

What is the current market for "low cost" 2 seaters ? how many 370z did nissan sold last year ? It is hard to imagine they will develop a brand new platform for less than 20,000 new sale worldwide at an affordable price.
Currently Nissan sells less than 4,000 per year in the USA and less than 1000 in Canada. Double that for the G platform and you are still not near the 20,000 per year range.
I am sorry guys, but we are not in a period that would push Nissan to invest in a entirely new platform, unless they like to loose money. I do however see a new refresh of the Z line with variation of the 370z unibody with a lighter engine in the front that produce more torque than our VQ.
Think about it, you don't want to cannibalize the GTR market and you don't want to reduce performance of the 370z. This is a very tricky situation for Nissan.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:51 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by fflipski
What is the current market for "low cost" 2 seaters ? how many 370z did nissan sold last year ? It is hard to imagine they will develop a brand new platform for less than 20,000 new sale worldwide at an affordable price.
Currently Nissan sells less than 4,000 per year in the USA and less than 1000 in Canada. Double that for the G platform and you are still not near the 20,000 per year range.
I am sorry guys, but we are not in a period that would push Nissan to invest in a entirely new platform, unless they like to loose money. I do however see a new refresh of the Z line with variation of the 370z unibody with a lighter engine in the front that produce more torque than our VQ.
Think about it, you don't want to cannibalize the GTR market and you don't want to reduce performance of the 370z. This is a very tricky situation for Nissan.
This post started out making sense, but the section I bolded doesn't. If you "see" (forsee?) a "lighter engine that produce more torque" what the heck are you talking about? Currently, Nissan doesn't have a production engine with the combination of low weight and high power that you're alluding to. The new VC four cylinder holds some promise, but not enough to supercede the mighty VQ. The VK series is expensive as hell, and while powerful, would be too heavy and costly to slot into a Z replacement.

It's been said before, but I think we should all enjoy driving our Zs as they exist today. Both the Z33 and Z34 set the bar high for affordable sportscars.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:05 PM
fflipski

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
This post started out making sense, but the section I bolded doesn't. If you "see" (forsee?) a "lighter engine that produce more torque" what the heck are you talking about? Currently, Nissan doesn't have a production engine with the combination of low weight and high power that you're alluding to. The new VC four cylinder holds some promise, but not enough to supercede the mighty VQ.
Get the qr25der , remove hybrid motor, better rod , lighter piston, increase boost. That should give you around 300ft.lbs in a smaller and lighter package. Or go full on hybrid and distribute battery in the car for balance. But I doubt a hybrid system will be under 3000lbs
​​
anyway, yes. Z33 or z34 are absolutely great platforms. This is why Nissan is having difficulty to get a new one out.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:53 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Get the qr25der , remove hybrid motor, better rod , lighter piston, increase boost. That should give you around 300ft.lbs in a smaller and lighter package. Or go full on hybrid and distribute battery in the car for balance. But I doubt a hybrid system will be under 3000lbs
​​
anyway, yes. Z33 or z34 are absolutely great platforms. This is why Nissan is having difficulty to get a new one out.
Disagree. The Z33 and 34 are tired, old, platforms vis a vis the new car market, not by enthusiasts opinion necessarily.

If you read the other thread as has been pointed out and contributed to for four years, you can see a lot of opinions on why it's taking so long AND what people are really hoping for in the next Z car. But it comes down to what was pointed out by dkmura and others for all these years: No good business case to build the car. Might be a slightly stronger case for it now with Toyota turning up the heat with the Supra, so to speak; but to justify actually bringing a Z to market, well, we'll see I guess. I hope they do because I want to see all the people here and on various other Z sites that say they'll buy one, ACTUALLY buy one. Personally, unless they dramatically restyle it, give it a "real" drivetrain (not just another VQ variant), I'll just stick with what I have.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

​​
QR25DET? Sorry- don't see it. Even with a enhanced mechanical package and more boost, I doubt it would match Nissan's current performance and durability standards. The VC-series has more potential, but it's not there, either. And as you say, a hybrid would be heavy and expensive with current battery technology. But the bigger question remains: who's going to buy a new and improved Z (besides us, I mean)?
Old 03-18-2019, 03:25 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
QR25DET? Sorry- don't see it. Even with a enhanced mechanical package and more boost, I doubt it would match Nissan's current performance and durability standards. The VC-series has more potential, but it's not there, either. And as you say, a hybrid would be heavy and expensive with current battery technology. But the bigger question remains: who's going to buy a new and improved Z (besides us, I mean)?
"E-Z" answer here: https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/6...l#post10987455
Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Ah, that's right- Mic has the answers!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Adding to this thread/conversation…

The Nissan 300ZX (sold in the USA from 1984 through 1996) did not survive when Porsche (and other manufacturers) reduced the retail price of their cars. Suddenly, the Nissan 300ZX was viewed as comparatively overly expensive, and it was a Japanese (not a European) car.

Sales of the 300ZX died.
It took Nissan 7 years to resurrect a two-seat sports car. At the very least, they did it right and there was excitement when the 350Z went on sale.

Last edited by Spike100; 03-18-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:04 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

In truth, an "E-Z" would be kinda cool but I still have mental range issues to go full-E. As I've said since the Z35 speculation thread started, I'd be much in favor of a plug-in hybrid drivetrain over full electric. Yes, the range of electrics is rising (and is far above what they were just a few years ago) but I am still reluctant.

Using Formula One and Formula E as my arguing points, I see copious amounts of LONG RANGE power - entire race, no refueling - made in F1 whereas Formula E still relies on a second car to go the distance. Translating that over to a street platform, I could easily see (and support) a Z car that could make a reliable 400-500 horsepower with a small IC engine of, say, 200bhp (pretty much just for charging) and a single 75kWh motor. Nismo version could EASILY push 600-700 hp with a single 85kWh motor and the same base IC engine. The only pitfall with this is the "lack" of a manual transmission - although it can be done, it's not necessarily as good of a match for the hybrid drivetrain and actually, totally unnecessary with the instantaneous torque/power and the BRAKE EFFECT of an e-motor at the touch of the "shift lever".

Does this mean I'm abandoning all hope of a "conventional" IC-engine-only coupled with a good manual box Z car? Nope, still want one and I will miss it like crazy if it goes away. But, I'm also not so naive to confuse market dynamics with my primal need to rev-shift-and-listen-to-exhaust-notes. Realistically, it seems the future is in slushboxes, unfortunately; but I can still hold out hope that maybe we could at least get a clutched sequential in a Nismo version. But not holding my breath... Heck, I've been casually looking around for a late Nismo 34 to kick around in. Most seem to be automatics.

But alas, perchance to dream.... and if it gets here, maybe, just maybe I'll indulge myself. But for now, as long as there are still Nismo 34s around, I may yet get another Z.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-18-2019 at 06:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spike100 (03-18-2019)