Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2006 automatic 350z shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 02:16 PM
Oz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 automatic 350z shifting

So I have an automatic 350z and it seems when I use the sport mode and manually shift at 2000-4000k rpm it tends to shift really hard and “pop” into gear in a sense. I was curious if by letting of the gas in between shifts would cause any wear and tear on the transmission because by letting off gives me a more smoother transition. If anyone knows anything lmk I would really appreciate it 🤙🏻
Old 03-19-2021, 08:06 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz33
So I have an automatic 350z and it seems when I use the sport mode and manually shift at 2000-4000k rpm it tends to shift really hard and “pop” into gear in a sense. I was curious if by letting of the gas in between shifts would cause any wear and tear on the transmission because by letting off gives me a more smoother transition. If anyone knows anything lmk I would really appreciate it 🤙🏻
No, letting off the throttle will not damage your trans but I would seek out the cause of the hard shifting. In a majority of the time, this type of hard shifting (in automatic) can be linked back to either the need to change the fluid or the wrong type of fluid, e.g., Type F in a GM kinda thing. Not that this will necessarily damage a trans, but the different fluids have very different characteristics.

Yes, there are mechanical reasons that could be the underlying cause as well but if your car hasn't had the fluid changed in a while, might be a good, inexpensive place to start.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:54 PM
Misfit350

Default Same!

I have an 06 auto as well and wondering the same thing! I shift pretty smoothly at anything below 3,500 RPM but anything above that and I get that "bang". Letting off the gas while shifting gets it a little smoother, but I would also like to know more about this!

Edit: Only going from 2nd to 3rd gear I get the bang, rest of the gears shift nicely.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:54 AM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

I get it as well for hard shifts, not often. I have 156K Miles. It rides nice though, but as for me... I'm purposely being neglectful to the AT so I can blow it and swap in a MT. But it does make me wonder what that is about. I have an 07'.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by zwei_the_c
I get it as well for hard shifts, not often. I have 156K Miles. It rides nice though, but as for me... I'm purposely being neglectful to the AT so I can blow it and swap in a MT. But it does make me wonder what that is about. I have an 07'.
Damaging the tranny intentionally makes no sense. Why not just swap out the auto for a manual and leave out the neglect?
Old 03-20-2021, 09:43 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Damaging the tranny intentionally makes no sense. Why not just swap out the auto for a manual and leave out the neglect?
I meant to say maintence-free. I come to a complete stop when selecting gears, including reverse. Not that kind of neglect.

Question remains, what is the bang noise.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:36 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by zwei_the_c
I meant to say maintence-free. I come to a complete stop when selecting gears, including reverse. Not that kind of neglect.

Question remains, what is the bang noise.
You may have answered your own question. By neglecting to change the tranny fluid and making it maintenance-free, there's a high likelihood you're damaging some of the valves in your automatic trans body. Wear and heat will breakdown any fluid over time.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:43 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Letting off the gas shouldn't hurt the transmission but the sharp shift shouldn't either. If I am remembering correctly the manual mode disables or bipasses some of the smarts in the transmission. In auto mode it controls the clutch engagement to make it smoother. It's part of the "learning" the transmission does if you disconnect the battery and why the shifts might be a little faster and harsher if you reset the transmission. I think manual mode engages the clutches as fast as the valve body is designed to do. It feels harsh at low rpm but also feels correct once your above ~4500rpm. It is a manual mode so play around with rpm shift points and how you let off the gas to get it smooth. Generally I don't drive it in manual mode unless I'm driving it aggressively.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:13 PM
Oz33

Originally Posted by rancor
Letting off the gas shouldn't hurt the transmission but the sharp shift shouldn't either. If I am remembering correctly the manual mode disables or bipasses some of the smarts in the transmission. In auto mode it controls the clutch engagement to make it smoother. It's part of the "learning" the transmission does if you disconnect the battery and why the shifts might be a little faster and harsher if you reset the transmission. I think manual mode engages the clutches as fast as the valve body is designed to do. It feels harsh at low rpm but also feels correct once your above ~4500rpm. It is a manual mode so play around with rpm shift points and how you let off the gas to get it smooth. Generally I don't drive it in manual mode unless I'm driving it aggressively.
sorry I been super late but thank you so much I usually get the whole “don’t let off drive it like an automatic was meant to be driven” speech I was just curious because my brother had a 03 g35 auto which did the same thing. He’s been raging me about letting off but he really doesn’t know jack **** about his car so I had to find me some reliable answers lol
Old 03-25-2021, 02:46 PM
SNowman04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Bangin' on...

My 2006 Grand Touring has always shifted hard (like a custom valve body). Is the stock unit beefed up or could I have a custom valve body? I'd ask the guy I got it from but he seems to be clueless... All useful input appreciated!
Old 03-25-2021, 02:53 PM
Oz33

Originally Posted by SNowman04
My 2006 Grand Touring has always shifted hard (like a custom valve body). Is the stock unit beefed up or could I have a custom valve body? I'd ask the guy I got it from but he seems to be clueless... All useful input appreciated!
to be completely honest I think it’s a auto z/g flaw. My z and my brothers old g use to do the same thing and no one could ever detect why does it do that. But In my case I disconnected the battery and basically that made my car force relearn my driving habits which really made it a smoother shift but it still has that hard shift from time to time.
Wait are you talking about when your driving in triptonic? Because if your driving in tiptonic and you go from cruising to WOT sometimes the system freaks out and gives a hard shift if that’s what your talking about

Last edited by Oz33; 03-25-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:05 PM
SNowman04

When I drive it in auto mode and just nail it, the downshift is pretty brutal and the upshifts are "banging" as well. I had the fluid changed last year but not sure what he used. Just feels like some of my old muscle cars with a racing valve body in it. Hate to have to tear it down just to find out what is in there... If I start off and just nail it, I'm chirping the tires thru three shifts.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:23 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by SNowman04
When I drive it in auto mode and just nail it, the downshift is pretty brutal and the upshifts are "banging" as well. I had the fluid changed last year but not sure what he used. Just feels like some of my old muscle cars with a racing valve body in it. Hate to have to tear it down just to find out what is in there... If I start off and just nail it, I'm chirping the tires thru three shifts.
Definitely a TransGo kit.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:00 AM
SNowman04

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jhc
Definitely a TransGo kit.
That's what I'm thinking... Tnx!