Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Front Brake Squeak When Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 02:48 AM
billybronco1

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front Brake Squeak When Stopping

My 350Z has 42K miles on it, I imagine it has original brake pads. Does this car have a wear limit notification sound? When I step on the brake lightly I hear a pretty loud squeak squeak squeak from the right front, it just started doing this recently.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:48 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by billybronco1
My 350Z has 42K miles on it, I imagine it has original brake pads. Does this car have a wear limit notification sound? When I step on the brake lightly I hear a pretty loud squeak squeak squeak from the right front, it just started doing this recently.
Kinda hard to diagnose without a picture. Most all modern brake pads include a steel strip that rubs the rotor to alert the operator of wear. My 1st guess would be one or more pads are glazed, since the noise occurs with little pressure. Depending on how much lining is left it's possible to deglaze pads and re-bed them.
See if you can get a good look at the pads, most have a depression/groove down the middle. If you cannot see a groove or either pad has less than 3-4 mm of lining it's time for new pads. Gl!
Old 08-01-2021, 09:08 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,288 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
Kinda hard to diagnose without a picture. Most all modern brake pads include a steel strip that rubs the rotor to alert the operator of wear. My 1st guess would be one or more pads are glazed, since the noise occurs with little pressure. Depending on how much lining is left it's possible to deglaze pads and re-bed them.
See if you can get a good look at the pads, most have a depression/groove down the middle. If you cannot see a groove or either pad has less than 3-4 mm of lining it's time for new pads. Gl!

This. ^^

If they're original pads, likely due for a change even if 42k is low. They're at least 12 years old. Heat cycles and environment can take its toll. If you go to the trouble of inspecting them, might as well replace them, turn/replace the rotors if runout is out of spec, check the rest of the system for leakage/wear. Pads are cheap (stock grade anyways), don't scrimp on the number one safety feature of ANY car.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:23 AM
billybronco1

I will open it up this week. Probably will replace the rotors too even though they look pretty good. Do I need any special tools other than the ordinary stuff? How about any squeak stuff or anything else besides pads and rotors?
Old 08-01-2021, 11:48 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I will open it up this week. Probably will replace the rotors too even though they look pretty good. Do I need any special tools other than the ordinary stuff? How about any squeak stuff or anything else besides pads and rotors?
Make sure you get chamfered pads (or file them down yourself). Most pad squeal is from the leading and aft edges of the pads. Chamfer takes away the hard edge running on the rotor.

Also, a bit of anti-squeal goop on the back side. A lot of pads come with it. If not, grab a can/tube at the parts store.

Alcohol or Brakleen to clean up the calipers and new rotors.

Simple stuff.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:44 PM
billybronco1

I pulled the pads on the questionable side tonight, the valley in the middle of the pad is almost gone. Looks like the light medal backing plate on the pad had a tab that was just starting to touch the rotor. I'll order new pads but the rotors like fine so I plan to use them again.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:14 AM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

When you swap out the pads, rub your finger over the edge of the rotors. If it's smooth when you slide your finger, it has life in them. If you feel a lip at the edge, then the material is on it's way out.

Perform your proper break-in bedding, and while you're in there, check your brake fluid level. Based on the pads's information, it's a good chance the fluids may be old. I recall break flush is to be done every 2-3 years.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:12 AM
billybronco1

The rotors are smooth but have a very small lip like what you mention, rotors are also pretty cheap mine as well replace them too.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:26 AM
billybronco1

Okay, just finished bedding the front pads and rotors, all is good no noise and stops really well. Now I'm going to do the rear pads and rotors. How do you bed the rear pads? I have not pulled it apart but I assume the removal and replacement process is the same as the fronts?
Old 08-06-2021, 08:31 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Okay, just finished bedding the front pads and rotors, all is good no noise and stops really well. Now I'm going to do the rear pads and rotors. How do you bed the rear pads? I have not pulled it apart but I assume the removal and replacement process is the same as the fronts?
Bedding is exactly the same process as front. Won't hurt to put a bit of extra heat in the fronts.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:24 AM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Glad to hear everything worked out for the better.