Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I'm Back

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 05:54 AM
Donny_b

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm Back

Well I'm back. First posted here in 2003. I had my 350Z for a few years then sold it to my Son. He had it up until this year. I bought it back from him. Needless to say it was not in the best of shape, but i'm glad to have it back. I spent the whole day working on the paint. It has the usual excessive oil consumption, and a valve cover leak. I'm gonna change that first along with a catch can mod if that doesn't fix the oil consumption problem I may consider getting a JDM motor. I thought about just getting the piston rings changed along with the bearings but this will not be my daily driver and the cost will be too high. I plan on doing a brake swap along with an LSD new front bumper, new wheels and a Ducktail. This is a Base Model. I'm glad to be back here.

The following 6 users liked this post by Donny_b:
bad boyz (10-03-2021), Bluez07 (10-02-2021), icer5160 (11-29-2023), khnitz (10-04-2021), SonnyWu (10-02-2021), SPM350Z (10-01-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-01-2021, 10:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Welcome back- your Pikes Peak white Z still shines brightly! Good you kept it in the family.

Last edited by dkmura; 11-22-2023 at 05:34 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 10-02-2021, 02:31 AM
ntwillie1

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome back. I think the current wheels go well w that car. What are you planning on getting?
Old 10-02-2021, 06:09 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Welcome back, looks mighty good for the age.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:30 PM
Donny_b

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Welcome back. I think the current wheels go well w that car. What are you planning on getting?
Thanks, The wheel are in rough shape. I may be able to rehabilitate them and powder coat. That's an option I think the offset is a bit dated. Maybe with some spacers it might look better. I'm planning on putting some Akebono Brakes also.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:53 PM
g3rard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome back. Looks like the paint needs some TLC.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:02 AM
Donny_b

Originally Posted by g3rard
Welcome back. Looks like the paint needs some TLC.
Its is not bad. there is a part of the front left Fender where we paint just flaked off. I am going to attempt to bondo over the dings, then Wrap the car. Also thinking about putting a Stillen front bumper.

Last edited by Donny_b; 10-04-2021 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:21 PM
Donny_b

Default UPDATE: Long Read

Well guys I know it's been a while since I posted this thread but here's where I'm at. I ended up doing a engine swap with a JDM motor I bought. I was overseas working and my son was visiting and he volunteered to install the motor which was great for me. This was about a year ago. Along with the motor I ordered new clutch, lighter flywheel, new bumper, Akebono big brake conversion kit, new seats, new interior trim pieces, racing harness with harness bar, along with 370 Z Nismo version one wheels, Mishimoto radiator and new hoses. Now while my son install the motor he was trying to fit the clutch and it would not go in he had the hardest time. I was still overseas when this was happening. Come to find out that Z one more sports sent me the wrong clutch. We ran the numbers and it was for a Honda. I can understand a honest mistake but they gave me the hardest time trying to return this thing. I was so pissed off. That's the first problem I had with that company.

Anyway once the the clutch situation was resolved he told me that the motor with crank but it wouldn't start. Doing my research I thought it was the NATS system that I would have to delete. I got back to the states and I started working on the car and for the life of me I could not get the thing to start. I sent the the ECU to Z1 for them to remove the NATS and also do the performance upgrade flash for the parts that I have. I got the ECU back installed it in the car still would not start. I called them and they told me that they tested it and it worked. I didn't believe them but this was beyond my skills so I decided to send it to a shop. The shop was really busy and told me they would get to it and I was fine with that because I was getting ready to go overseas again so I said get to it when you can.

After about a month so I can call the shop and ask them the status of the car they said they are checking the fuel they check the wiring cables everything and could not get the car to start. I forgot to say that I was not able to read the ECU there was no signal coming from the ECU to read for codes and the shop was not able to also even with their high-speed scanner. The shop owner says a man somethings wrong with the ECU we need to send it back to Z1. So after a long discussion with them we pay to send the ECU back and they flashed it again and they said they tried it on the car. When the ECU was returned to the shop they put it in in the car started that goes to show me they did not do a proper job the first time. Thats strike number two.

So after another month or so I was still overseas I called the shop and they told me they were having a hard time getting the car to run properly they tried the fuel pump everything that could be tried but the car still wouldn't run properly. I can also tell they didn't want to spend a bunch of time working on this car because they had other cars to fix and I was not a priority. So I have to many months I told him I was just going to pick up the car I was just happy that was running and I could work on the rest myself. One of the mechanics was saying it's probably the flywheel that's not lined up properly with the Crank sensor. So I took the car back to my house put it on the quick Jack drop the transmission took off the clutch remove the fly wheel and paid attention to where the tiny little hole in the fly wheel was located in comparison to the Crank sensor stud and it was off by about 40°. I placed everything back and while I was at it I changed the catalytic converter with a high flow cat. Once everything was together I was nervous I jumped in the car I cranked it once sounded better than I cranked it again and it ran like a champ.

So once the car was running I've started installing all the parts that I bought for it ran great the seats were great the new steering wheel was great but the car was not handling well there's lots of knocking going on which was a suspension. I thought my old coral overs had given up and was prepared to buy new cord overs until I took the wheels off and noticed that the upper control arm ball joints or toast so I bought a new upper I bought new ball joints and basically changed everything. And this is where I am today here's some of the pics.

Oh I forgot strike number 3 for Z1 motorsports. So I'm installing the Akebono big brake conversion kit. I did the driver side first and install the adapter no problem. Went to the passenger side put the adapter on and the bolts were too big for the adapter. It looked like they gave me an adapter for a different model car. I called them and asked them about this and they told me well you bought the parts over a year ago send us some pictures and we'll see. I was so fed up I called Concept Z and ordered their kit went and drove and picked it up because they're located here in Arizona they gave me a very good price on it. I'm probably going to install the new wheels next week and I'm going to wrap the car British Racing Green

reen

The following 2 users liked this post by Donny_b:
khnitz (11-28-2023), SPM350Z (11-25-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 05:09 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Standard operation for them, one of the reasons I only buy from them if I can't wait or if it's "their products".
I've had 2 instances where I had to return products, once for bad fitment, and the other because they sent me the wrong product.
Both times I was given a hard time and they were asking for more money lol.

Last edited by DarkZ03; 11-24-2023 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:00 PM
Donny_b

I thought it was only me....oh Boy
Old 11-27-2023, 07:31 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Nice progress - love the pikes peak white for sure!

Why did you go with Akebono’s instead of brembos? AP Racing? Stoptech?
Old 11-29-2023, 04:04 PM
Donny_b

Originally Posted by bealljk
Nice progress - love the pikes peak white for sure!

Why did you go with Akebono’s instead of brembos? AP Racing? Stoptech?
CHEAPER......lol. In actuality they are not actually Akebono's but replacement parts I bought on Amazon. They had good reviews so I went for it and I'm glad I did. Here's the link.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-29-2023, 05:26 PM
luv350sass

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Standard operation for them, one of the reasons I only buy from them if I can't wait or if it's "their products".
I've had 2 instances where I had to return products, once for bad fitment, and the other because they sent me the wrong product.
Both times I was given a hard time and they were asking for more money lol.
I still like them for now, but they do peeve me out some. Their interface for "customer information center", sucks. It doesnt tell you whats in what shipment, and what still needs to ship. I emailed them, and they act like info on when item will ship is in "customer information center" while its not.

They also sent me an exhaust poorly packaged with the whole bottom of the box ripped off. It looks like Fedex put extra tape on it to try to keep it together. I picked it up, hardware fell out, then a few steps more exhaust pipes fell out. I had to carry them in multiple trips. I cant find info on their website, for a parts list for their exhaust. I emailed them, since im not sure i have every part. Two weeks, no response yet. I guess i have to read the install manual
Old 11-29-2023, 06:40 PM
Enriquez2000

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny_b
CHEAPER......lol. In actuality they are not actually Akebono's but replacement parts I bought on Amazon. They had good reviews so I went for it and I'm glad I did. Here's the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Are these bigger brakes?
Old 11-30-2023, 12:54 AM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Enriquez2000
Are these bigger brakes?
The Akebonos are 14" as opposed to the Brembos 13".
i still wouldn't take Akebonos over Brembos, they both have down falls, they are cheap for a reason.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:14 AM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

I love seeing this thing being saved and modified. Sorry about all the troubles with Z1...I'd say that's somewhat abnormal for them, but it can happen. Keep us updated on this one! What are your next plans for the car?
Old 12-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Donny_b

Originally Posted by RENFRO
I love seeing this thing being saved and modified. Sorry about all the troubles with Z1...I'd say that's somewhat abnormal for them, but it can happen. Keep us updated on this one! What are your next plans for the car?
Thanks man, my next plan is to throw on the Nismo version 1 wheels and then wrap it in British racing green color.. I'm also going to rebuild the original motor with good internals maybe even a stroker motor. I want to stay NA.