2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can't believe this thin tape will secure the Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 08:06 AM
BayouBill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't believe this thin tape will secure the Spoiler

Hey guys,
Just bought an 03 Touring edition(Brickyard) and I'm doing some repairs and upgrades.
Today I'm replacing the front hub assembly's to alleviate the bearing roar at speed. Looks like a straight forward replacement.

Also, headlight canister not sealed, caused ballast and igniter to fail. Replaced parts and light works now. Since my headlight lens's are scratched/discolored I planned to replace the canisters but the cost of the ballast and igniter shot that plan down.
After reinstalling the bumper from the headlight repair I noticed I have a left-over part(I guess that's normal :-) I need help identifying the part. Pls see pic and advise ...

The rear end looks kinda naked so I purchased a small spoiler but when it arrived 2 things concerned me (1) I can't believe this thin strip of double sided 3M tape can secure the spoiler to the deck lid. Also, (2) when I laid the spoiler on the deck lid I noticed a sizeable gap between the spoiler and the body at the center of the spoiler. So when I push down on the spoiler to remove the gap on install (again) I can't believe the thin tape will hold it down to the body with the spoiler wanting to spring up off of the body.

The oil pressure gauge was pegged so that usually indicates a defective sending unit. I replaced the sending unit and it functions properly now. Although, on rare occasions the gauge will read High and if I bump the gauge it drops back to normal(bad gauge or cold solder joint?) Other issues with the 3-gauge pod - The Amp gauge light dims or doesn't come on but if I tap on the gauge it works(maybe a cold solder joint?)

Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I've found Forum members are usually very helpful so as soon as I buy a vehicle I'm not familiar with I immediately join a Forum for that particular vehicle. Over the years nice people on Forums have saved me lots of headaches and $$$ ...

I added a pic of the car as I bought it. It belonged to a family member who lives in Reno, NV. My wife and I flew to Reno and drove the car home to Louisiana. 30 hour drive. Great road trip.
The previous owner bought the car new in 2003 and drove it 173,000 always taking it in for regular service/maintenance/repairs. The mechanicals are great, I'm mainly working on cosmetic issues.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:53 AM
Sundown72

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Your mystery piece is one of the grille block off plates. It mounts to the underside of the aluminum crash bar (with the tow hook mount) and helps to guide air through to the radiator while keeping it out of the area behind the bumper and in front of the wheel well liners. It usually mounts with plastic expansion panel push fasteners, I put in some nut-serts for mine and use M8 bolts, but mine also hold the inlets for my brake ducts…

Can’t expect OE fitment from what looks like a non-OE spoiler. You could do some massaging of the part or try with the tape abs see. If it’s genuine 3M and your prep is good the tape works super well. It’s what the OEMs use.

As for the cluster, the oil pressure gauge is wired directly to the sender, but the other two are CAN controlled from the Unified Amp. I think the illumination comes from there as well. You can pull the factory service manual from our friends over at Nicoclub for some more info.

Welcome to the Z33. Nice purchase (I love the aubergine color). Best of luck!
Old 10-19-2021, 09:23 AM
BayouBill

Thanks for the info Sundown72.
I'll give your suggestions a try ...
Old 10-19-2021, 12:42 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

That almost looks like a OEM spoiler, tape holds good as long as the item is rigid. From my experience if the item is soft it and doesn't fit 100%it will try to peel off.
My Stillen spoiler fit good for a while until one day it decided it no longer wanted to and started coming off, had it put on with tape again and started coming off within a week. So now it's permanently glued on.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:15 AM
BayouBill

DarkZ03,
It's a copy made by Hyper Wings. https://www.ebay.com/itm/251856178167
The reason I like this one better than OEM, it's got a slightly bigger lip. The OEM version was a tad too small for my taste but I didn't want to make a statement with a BIG spoiler, also it was less expensive.
I'm also thinking about adding a small rear window roof spoiler. https://www.ebay.com/itm/13390362089...wAAOSwbgBhZ~Ie
In your opinion, do you think that would be too much? I'm asking my friends what's their opinion ...
Thanks for taking the time to send me your comments.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:52 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

IMHO I'm not a fan of roof spoilers, as for subtle or OEM+ spoilers it's hard to beat the Blitz style or Daytona, they look nice and super clean. Both have really good fitment from what I've seen.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:25 AM
BayouBill

Those look nice but not in my budget.
Thanks for the comments ...
Old 10-22-2021, 01:12 PM
BayouBill

The cig lighter port is in an awkward place in my opinion so I'm planning to add a Dual LED USB Car Power Supply Charger Port Socket.
I'm sure some of you installed something like this.https://www.ebay.com/itm/193643711816
Any comments/suggestions B4 I purchase?
Thanks

I'm planning to install it in the void area to the right of the raised shifter console. Away from the AC ***** so I don't block the controls.

Last edited by BayouBill; 10-22-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:12 AM
LeoGinto

Z’s that come with a spoiler like, mine have holes in the hatch for mounting but, ive seen duckbills mounted with 3m tape and they seem to hold fine so. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Old 11-05-2021, 07:26 AM
BayouBill

Default USB ports

Leo, Thanks for the comment ...