Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Squirrel in a blender?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 06:02 PM
Dominicz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squirrel in a blender?

I search around the forums, and it appears weird noises after header or test pipe installs are pretty common. I put isr long tubes on my 08 and started getting this chirping noise. Like a bird chirping or squirrel in a blender kind of noise. It occurs around 3k-ish. Exhaust is a Nismo r-tune dual. No weird noise before the header install. It kinda goes mostly away after you drive a bit. Any ideas how to get rid of it? X pipe or maybe eliminate the h pipe cross over in the r-tune? I did a once over for leaks, but didn’t find any obvious ones. Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-18-2022, 07:45 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

OEM HR headers are pretty efficient, and long tube headers will need a tune to get anything more. Who knows? Maybe a tune might correct your noise, or at least identify where it's coming from.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:29 AM
Dominicz

I got a new tune file from Jon yesterday. Didn’t help.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:49 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominicz
I search around the forums, and it appears weird noises after header or test pipe installs are pretty common. I put isr long tubes on my 08 and started getting this chirping noise. Like a bird chirping or squirrel in a blender kind of noise. It occurs around 3k-ish. Exhaust is a Nismo r-tune dual. No weird noise before the header install. It kinda goes mostly away after you drive a bit. Any ideas how to get rid of it? X pipe or maybe eliminate the h pipe cross over in the r-tune? I did a once over for leaks, but didn’t find any obvious ones. Any help would be appreciated
I've never put a squirrel in a blender but we can try to cover the basics.
Are the bolts/screws new or old?
Are all the exhaust hangers in position and connected?
Were new gaskets used and all fasteners torqued to at least 45 ft lbs?

Since you're at an impass, why not go to a muffler shop for a free inspection? They usually have a machine to help diagnose exhaust leaks which is highly likely in your case.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:34 AM
Dominicz

Ok, some background and a couple vids. My wife and I have owned the car since ‘09/8k miles. She drove the car completely stock up until last June. I essentially retired to be a house husband, so I sold my frontier and started driving the z for the handful of errands I run each week. I churched the car up a bit with a lot of new parts starting with the cat back in August. About 3 weeks ago I put the headers and some Z1 intakes on. That’s when the squirrel showed up. I used the new multi layer steel gaskets/collector bolts included with the headers. You can’t physically get a socket on the lower manifold bolts because the primary tubes are in the way, so I don’t have an accurate torque on those. I’ll get the car back apart later this morning and recheck all the fasteners, but, as I stated above, I can’t locate any leaks as of yet. The only hiccup I encountered with the header install was a slight (1/4”) misalignment between the header collector and the catback. The R-tune has flex sections just behind the flange, so I was able to make up the misalignment in that. The noise seems to emanate from around that area. Is it possible for a flexed flex section to leak/cause noise? Like I said, it pretty much goes away after you’ve driven the car a mile or so. Edit: sound is right at 2k, not 3k

Last edited by Dominicz; 04-19-2022 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:11 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Ah, I see- good explanation and videos!
I still recommend paying a muffler shop for an hour's work.

You state the noise started with install of Z1 CAI and headers. If it's been more than a few weeks you can diagnose an exhaust leak at home for free.
Look all around for a whitish or gray powder residue on the exhaust, particularly at gaskets/joints. And yes, your flex-pipe is usually the 1st place to leak although you indicate it was fine previously.

Since you say it goes away when warmed-up I'd conclude that something is not quit snug. As it heats up, metal expands, making a tighter fit, sealing the leak. Definitely worth seeing if you can tighten every fastener 1 or 2 more flats. Gl!
Old 04-19-2022, 07:25 AM
Dominicz

Thanks. The flex sections are those braided steel looking ones, and I’m wondering if the misalignment has them leaking. It would make sense that as they get hot they tighten up mostly closing off the leak. Anywayz, I’ll get it off the ground and check everything again. If I can’t locate it I guess finding a decent exhaust shop in my area is in my future
Old 04-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Dominicz

Jhc for the win. Appears the flanges on either the headers or the exhaust is a bit wonky. I’m not sure how I missed both gaskets leaking this bad, but I certainly did. Fortunately, I had a couple of the thick metalized asbestos type gaskets that came with catback that I never used. Threw them in and torqued the beejezus outta them, and no more squirrel.

Old 04-19-2022, 10:08 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,069 Likes on 6,532 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Dominicz (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 10:11 AM
Dominicz

Lol. Funny coincidence: as I’m walking out to move the car to work on it, a damn squirrel peaks out from underneath.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:19 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Dominicz
Jhc for the win. Appears the flanges on either the headers or the exhaust is a bit wonky. I’m not sure how I missed both gaskets leaking this bad, but I certainly did. Fortunately, I had a couple of the thick metalized asbestos type gaskets that came with catback that I never used. Threw them in and torqued the beejezus outta them, and no more squirrel.
Thanks for the shout out, glad you got it sorted!!!
The following users liked this post:
Dominicz (04-20-2022)