Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

ABS/VDC OFF/SLIP lights turns on randomly and car starts to drag/go limp mode(?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 11:21 PM
lanskyzxc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/VDC OFF/SLIP lights turns on randomly and car starts to drag/go limp mode(?)

I have an '06, manual transmission with around 160k miles. It has this issue of turning on the ABS, VDC off and SLIP lights for some reason. I somehow can't pinpoint what exactly the trigger is. Some instances I've noticed that makes it happen is when I'm frequently stopping in traffic or stop lights/signs. It also would sometimes trigger when slowing down after going high speeds, exiting the freeway, braking and downshifting. When this happens, I feel the car starts to have trouble accelerating. It would start to require me to rev the engine to high rpms to get it moving from a complete stop. When the lights are on, it feels like the brakes are engaged or something (not exactly sure if this is accurate). It would also only rev on low gears, 1, 2 and 3 or even 4. If I go up to 5th gear, and try to accelerate, it just wouldn't. No acceleration on high gears. I can't tell if it's something with the braking system or my throttle body, the sensors, or the computer. I'm honestly a complete noob with cars, hopefully someone here can point me to the right direction.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:27 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by lanskyzxc
I have an '06, manual transmission with around 160k miles. It has this issue of turning on the ABS, VDC off and SLIP lights for some reason. I somehow can't pinpoint what exactly the trigger is. Some instances I've noticed that makes it happen is when I'm frequently stopping in traffic or stop lights/signs. It also would sometimes trigger when slowing down after going high speeds, exiting the freeway, braking and downshifting. When this happens, I feel the car starts to have trouble accelerating. It would start to require me to rev the engine to high rpms to get it moving from a complete stop. When the lights are on, it feels like the brakes are engaged or something (not exactly sure if this is accurate). It would also only rev on low gears, 1, 2 and 3 or even 4. If I go up to 5th gear, and try to accelerate, it just wouldn't. No acceleration on high gears. I can't tell if it's something with the braking system or my throttle body, the sensors, or the computer. I'm honestly a complete noob with cars, hopefully someone here can point me to the right direction.
Did you search? This is a top 10 FAQ.

Either way, pull codes first, then ask again. Some Top 10 answers:

- Cam and/or crank sensors
- wheel speed sensors
- Tire sizes
- Brake Fluid level (from post #3, below)

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-10-2022 at 08:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
dkmura (11-09-2022), khnitz (11-22-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 07:20 AM
bre240z

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

recently i took a drive up to the canyon and my Z started doing something similar to this. Same lights were coming on but the car drove fine. Did a little research on here and noticed a lot of people said to check the brake fluid, brake pads, wheel sensor etc...
Went home and first thing i checked was the brake fluid and i noticed it was a little low. I added some brake fluid and lights never came back on. I also checked the brake pads and wheel speed sensor but didnt see anything wrong with them. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (11-10-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 06:27 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,096 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by bre240z
Did a little research on here
Such a novel idea. This man (or woman) right here is a genius.
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (11-22-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 05:48 AM
kshaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake level light is unrelated to the ABS/SLIP lights so this problem may reoccur. You need a high-end scanner like the ZR13 from Harbor Freight and it will tell you which wheel is causing the ABS light. Wait until the ABS light comes on again before testing. The ABS malfunction causes the SLIP light. You then need to replace the ABS sensor or replace the tone ring. The tone ring will rotate on the axle if it is broken. Replacement of the tone ring will require axle removal.