Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

'06 350z aftermarket oil temp gauge using factory sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 06:30 PM
uberdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 350z aftermarket oil temp gauge using factory sensor?

Sorry if it's been covered before but I haven't been able to find anything conclusive.

Is it possible to install an aftermarket oil temp gauge by somehow using the factory oil temp sensor in a 06' Revup? If not, I'll just use a t-piece into the oil pressure switch hole. Would like to avoid going as far as installing a bung into the oil pan or using sandwich/spacer plates.

Last edited by uberdude; 08-15-2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:35 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,299 Likes on 1,023 Posts

help me understand the OEM oil temp sensor that you’re refering to?

G35s have oil temp sensors / sensor ports but they have wiring in their harnesses for the oil temp sensors.

You ‘could’ install an OEM oil temp sensor into the 350z block (I can help you identify the port you’ll use) and then run an aftermarket temp gauge but you’d need to find the right OEM wire harness/pigtail to connect your gauge to the sensor.

It should be noted that most aftermarket sensors will not thread into the OEM block.
The following users liked this post:
uberdude (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:35 AM
icer5160

Received 454 Likes on 347 Posts

Hi Beall,

I would be interested in your OEM oil temp solution (if there's a port in the block ready for use). In the past I was under the impression that a sandwich plate was required at the oil filter housing. For example installing an external oil cooler system, which usually includes an option for a standard size port/thread for an oil temp sensor.
Thanks!
-Icer
Old 08-17-2023, 04:31 PM
uberdude

Appreciate the replies!

When i get a chance to get under the car again Ill take a photo of the sensor that i suspect is the factory oil temp sensor. Apparently, Revups and HRs got an oil temp sensor that (from what ive read) assists with exhaust cam control and puts the car into limp mode if oil temps exceed a threshold. On non-Revups, there is a blocked off hole in the block that maybe @bealljk is referring to that is, maybe, the same hole the Revups and HRs use for the factory oil temp sensor. HOWEVER, the more research i do the more im second-guessing...

VQ35DE Engine (haltech.com)
Haltech mention there is an oil temp sensor for revups but dont indicate where it is.

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/102863...omment=1545676
This guy shows the location of the elusive oil temp sensor but no part number we can work from.

OEM VQ35DE Revup Oil Temperature Sensor - Z1 Motorsports - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60
OEM VQ35DE Rev-Up Oil Temperature Sensor Sub Harness - Z1 Motorsports - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60
Z1 sell the temp sensor and harness, and indicate that it's on the front of the upper oil pan. When i search the part number though, results are showing that it's a coolant temp sensor?? I think this is what's stumping me.

There are a few videos on youtube showing the sensor in Revup motors - it's the blue coloured sensor to the right of the oil filter if you're looking at the front of the block. The question is, is it an oil or coolant temp sensor??
Is this the same location of the hole you're referring to @bealljk ?

I guess I ultimately want to know if the wires from this sensor can be spliced into or somehow used to run an aftermarket oil temp gauge, if it even is an oil temp sensor. plz halp.

Last edited by uberdude; 08-17-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:01 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by icer5160
I would be interested in your OEM oil temp solution (if there's a port in the block ready for use). In the past I was under the impression that a sandwich plate was required at the oil filter housing. For example installing an external oil cooler system, which usually includes an option for a standard size port/thread for an oil temp sensor.
Thanks!
-Icer
There are a handful of M12 and M14 x 1.25 or 1.5 all around the block (the conspiracy theorist in me says these are for when Nissan wants to OEM turbo the DE from the factory).
Most sensors are going to be an 1/8” or 3/8” NPT where OEM sensors are the M12 or M14. So dont buy an AEM gauge and expect it to thread into the block…I think the oil pressure sending unit is not an 1/8” NPT.

So you’d need an OEM sensor and OEM pig-tail and you’d have to wire it to the gauge. This is all under the assumption that the inverse-resistence of the OEM sensor is consistent with the gauge.

Originally Posted by uberdude
Appreciate the replies!

When i get a chance to get under the car again Ill take a photo of the sensor that i suspect is the factory oil temp sensor. Apparently, Revups and HRs got an oil temp sensor that (from what ive read) assists with exhaust cam control and puts the car into limp mode if oil temps exceed a threshold. On non-Revups, there is a blocked off hole in the block that maybe @bealljk is referring to that is, maybe, the same hole the Revups and HRs use for the factory oil temp sensor. HOWEVER, the more research i do the more im second-guessing...

VQ35DE Engine (haltech.com)
Haltech mention there is an oil temp sensor for revups but dont indicate where it is.

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/102863...omment=1545676
This guy shows the location of the elusive oil temp sensor but no part number we can work from.

OEM VQ35DE Revup Oil Temperature Sensor - Z1 Motorsports - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60
OEM VQ35DE Rev-Up Oil Temperature Sensor Sub Harness - Z1 Motorsports - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60
Z1 sell the temp sensor and harness, and indicate that it's on the front of the upper oil pan. When i search the part number though, results are showing that it's a coolant temp sensor?? I think this is what's stumping me.

https://youtu.be/O41ZKgyQG8s?t=377
https://youtu.be/9UdhtOAE1o0?t=70
There are a few videos on youtube showing the sensor in Revup motors - it's the blue coloured sensor to the right of the oil filter if you're looking at the front of the block. The question is, is it an oil or coolant temp sensor??
Is this the same location of the hole you're referring to @bealljk ?

I guess I ultimately want to know if the wires from this sensor can be spliced into or somehow used to run an aftermarket oil temp gauge, if it even is an oil temp sensor. plz halp.
You’re likely refering to the same port that I am thinking of. I use this port to feed oil to my turbo in both my z & g chassis. I do this because it’s post-filter oil. And yes, on any engine it’s blocked off. If I remember correctly this is an M6x 1.25 but dont quote me on it … but you’ll want to get that OEM sensor and a pig tail. Most temp sensors dont have polarity so its just a matter of connecting the wires to the gauge setup. Lets keep this thread alive and I’ll try to do some comparison but I can’t imagine there are more than a few ways that analog voltage sensors can read automotive-range temperatures.

I suspect the cam control also has a lock-out until oil temp reaches a given temperature as well (I dont know this for a fact though).
Old 08-17-2023, 11:07 PM
uberdude

Originally Posted by bealljk
You’re likely refering to the same port that I am thinking of. I use this port to feed oil to my turbo in both my z & g chassis. I do this because it’s post-filter oil. And yes, on any engine it’s blocked off. If I remember correctly this is an M6x 1.25 but dont quote me on it … but you’ll want to get that OEM sensor and a pig tail. Most temp sensors dont have polarity so its just a matter of connecting the wires to the gauge setup. Lets keep this thread alive and I’ll try to do some comparison but I can’t imagine there are more than a few ways that analog voltage sensors can read automotive-range temperatures.

I suspect the cam control also has a lock-out until oil temp reaches a given temperature as well (I dont know this for a fact though).
IIRC, my car (Revup) does already have the OEM sensor and pig tail. I guess I'm keen to know if splicing into the pig tail can net me a reading that'll work with an aftermarket gauge. Actually, even before that, is there a way to confirm it's an OEM oil temp sensor? I'm not too savvy when it comes to electronics...

I'm tempted to buy a cheap gauge, splice/hijack the wires and see if it does anything.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:53 AM
tuzzio

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Why not just buy a sandwich plate adapter, and an aftermarket gauge and call it a day? If you're capable of splicing wires, you're capable of installation. Spend the money on a proper gauge that comes with the proper sensor to ensure the proper reading. Inaccurate data is worse than no data.
DarkZ03 (08-18-2023)
Old 03-04-2024, 07:39 PM
z69

Originally Posted by bealljk
There are a handful of M12 and M14 x 1.25 or 1.5 all around the block (the conspiracy theorist in me says these are for when Nissan wants to OEM turbo the DE from the factory).
Most sensors are going to be an 1/8” or 3/8” NPT where OEM sensors are the M12 or M14. So dont buy an AEM gauge and expect it to thread into the block…I think the oil pressure sending unit is not an 1/8” NPT.

So you’d need an OEM sensor and OEM pig-tail and you’d have to wire it to the gauge. This is all under the assumption that the inverse-resistence of the OEM sensor is consistent with the gauge.

You’re likely referring to the same port that I am thinking of. I use this port to feed oil to my turbo in both my z & g chassis. I do this because it’s post-filter oil. And yes, on any engine it’s blocked off. If I remember correctly this is an M6x 1.25 but dont quote me on it … but you’ll want to get that OEM sensor and a pig tail. Most temp sensors dont have polarity so its just a matter of connecting the wires to the gauge setup. Lets keep this thread alive and I’ll try to do some comparison but I can’t imagine there are more than a few ways that analog voltage sensors can read automotive-range temperatures.

Any Luck on this? I am also looking into using the data from the OEM sensor on my revup. I am curious about how the voltage correlates to the actual oil temp. I am a software engineer by trait and can make some code work to handle the translation of this data on a raspberry pi or something no problem. The only issue I see here is trying to figure out how the voltage correlates with temp.

I guess a good question would be what is the max voltage that the sensor outputs? From there we could figure out what the voltage means in terms of temp. In theory at least.

Last edited by z69; 03-04-2024 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2024, 10:03 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by tuzzio
Why not just buy a sandwich plate adapter, and an aftermarket gauge and call it a day? If you're capable of splicing wires, you're capable of installation. Spend the money on a proper gauge that comes with the proper sensor to ensure the proper reading. Inaccurate data is worse than no data.
After some thought, I like this solution better because you dont want to start monkeying with OEM sensors and it’d be unwise as it could negatively impact the function of the ECU.

Originally Posted by z69
Any Luck on this? I am also looking into using the data from the OEM sensor on my revup. I am curious about how the voltage correlates to the actual oil temp. I am a software engineer by trait and can make some code work to handle the translation of this data on a raspberry pi or something no problem. The only issue I see here is trying to figure out how the voltage correlates with temp.

I guess a good question would be what is the max voltage that the sensor outputs? From there we could figure out what the voltage means in terms of temp. In theory at least.
I would advise against using the OEM oil temp sensor and just leave it alone. Further, do what Tuzzio said and get an independent sensor and guage.

You can research in the factory service manual the voltage : oil temp correlation and I dont immediately know what it is and if you cannot find it you would probably be safe using the engine coolant temp calibrations. I suspect the oil temp calibrations can be found in section EC of the applicable year of your car’s FSM. If you cant find it let me know.

But, I think this is a bad idea and can cause issues with the voltage supply to the ecu. I say this because a temp sensors are typically the inverse resistance / thermistor and unlike analog 0-5volt sensor, temp sensors are not linear.

I believe if you split your voltage off to two legs after the sensor (but before the ECU - meaning one leg to the ECU and one leg to your arduino) you would read similar voltages but current would be split between the two legs … which shouldnt be an issue but I dont know how current is going to impact how the ecu reads the sensor - I just wouldnt mess with it.

Last edited by bealljk; 03-05-2024 at 11:27 AM.
DarkZ03 (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 07:41 PM
DarkZ03

Received 494 Likes on 414 Posts

Spot on, thermistors don't create voltage they just change resistance which changes to feedback to the ECU.