Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help needed with Clutch issue!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 10:42 AM
krsone579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed with Clutch issue!

Hey all, I just recently purchased a 2006 350Z convertible 6Spd. 122k miles. Drives really good I put about 2k miles on it, needs rear diff bushings for sure though, But one day on the highway I went to shift and had to clutch pressure at all out of nowhere. I drove it home without the ability to use the clutch and have since unsuccesfuly tried to bleed it. The clutch just cant seen to get pressure. I have replaced the slave and master and bench bled them and they hold pressure against my finger, but once everything is installed the clutch just drops to the floor same as before. Also when opening the bleeder nothing is coming out. Yesterday before I replaced the slave/master, fluid would bleed out but the clutch pedal still had no pressure. I have done many searches and read many posts already but as far as I can tell I have tried everything I read. I bench bled master, tested with my fingers and it had resistence and pressure, installed in car closed system and added fluid and clutch pedal still has no pressure after many pumps. It doesnt make sense to me. Can someone please help me with this? Thank you in advance.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:53 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,090 Likes on 772 Posts

There's got to be a break somewhere in the line if you're not getting any pressure. That's a good sign you finally got fluid to come out when you opened the bleeder valve on the slave.

The bleeding procedure is not the convention pump-open-pump-open. Check out this thread for the proper way to bleed the clutch.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...l#post11035092

Old 11-06-2023, 12:05 PM
krsone579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nooo I didnt get fluid out of the bleeder on the slave lol, i need to tho! I dont understand why its like this, Yesterday I was able to get fluid to come out but not any pedal pressure. Today I put fluid in both slave and master and they had pressure against my finger when pushing. So I feel like the system is primed and yet the pedal falls immediately to the floor and never builds pressure. I have seen and read that thread as well and tried that but I of course appreciate the insight. Really not sure what would cause NO pressure when I have pressure at the plunger on the master when I bench bleed it in my hands. Also when I installed it after bench bleeding I put the little cap i the fitting hole and just touch the clutch pedal and it came out. But once the line is hooked up there is no pressure immediately. I am lost and hoping for some insight on something here,
Old 11-06-2023, 12:49 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,090 Likes on 772 Posts

If all the connections are tight and there is no leak anywhere (which you would likely know if fluid was coming out somewhere), you may need to adjust the rod on the master cylinder or the adjustment nut/clevis on the back of the clutch pedal. It could be a situation where the push rod is not allowing any fluid to flow into the line to pressurize it. If you have the bleeder on the slave open and no fluid is coming out of it and the level in the reservoir is not going down, then the fluid isn't going anywhere.

Once this is adjusted, you will need to manually lift up the clutch pedal from the floor and keep pumping it to build pressure. Pump it a few times, hold the clutch pedal down, crack the bleeder open for a few seconds, then close it, bring the clutch pedal up, wait about 30 seconds, and then repeat as necessary.
The following users liked this post:
timeltel (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 06:26 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
If all the connections are tight and there is no leak anywhere (which you would likely know if fluid was coming out somewhere), you may need to adjust the rod on the master cylinder or the adjustment nut/clevis on the back of the clutch pedal. It could be a situation where the push rod is not allowing any fluid to flow into the line to pressurize it. If you have the bleeder on the slave open and no fluid is coming out of it and the level in the reservoir is not going down, then the fluid isn't going anywhere.

Once this is adjusted, you will need to manually lift up the clutch pedal from the floor and keep pumping it to build pressure. Pump it a few times, hold the clutch pedal down, crack the bleeder open for a few seconds, then close it, bring the clutch pedal up, wait about 30 seconds, and then repeat as necessary.
This. ^^

In addition, would suggest part of the issue may be an "air dam". No, not a spoiler, rather, a stubborn pocket of air trapped somewhere in the system effectively damming the flow. Surefire solution to this is to use a power bleeder. (Despite FSM warnings against it.) Recommended unit is by Motive (0107 if memory serves but check their catalog). Pressurize, lift pedal, bleed. A one-person job but still better with two so one can crack the bleeder, other to monitor pressure and fluid level.

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-07-2023 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:36 AM
timeltel

Received 177 Likes on 123 Posts

Regards krs:
Good advice given above. If you search the site there were numerous posts offering (misguided) advice about moving a Fast & Furious clutch engage / disengage point closer to the floorboard. The procedure was to remove the pin connecting the clevis to the clutch pedal, turn the clevis a few turns to shorten the pushrod travel. Rinse & repeat until the clutch disengaged at the desired lift off the floor.

Heel Til I Die observes there are vents in the master cylinder allowing a recharge of fluid to the lines. When the push rod is over adjusted these vents remain obstructed. This prevents displaced fluid from recharging the lines. Google up a schematic of a master cylinder, the relationship of pushrod & vents should be apparent.

If this is your Z's condition it'll be an easy fix. Pull the connecting pin, lift the pedal to its full extent and temporarily adjust the clevis to reconnect at that point. Then, turn it four (more or less) full turns to shorten the pushrod. Pump the pedal a few times & see if pressure comes up. This check should be performed any time the master cylinder is replaced. As it leaves the factory there should be about an inch of free travel for intended operation of the system.

You'll then probably need to bleed the lines, do what Mic says.

Good luck &,
Peace.

The following users liked this post:
krsone579 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 05:00 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 451 Likes on 366 Posts

Pivot ball might have snapped