2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Lemon Law or Not To Lemon Law...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 08:14 PM
harrjar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation To Lemon Law or Not To Lemon Law...

I know there have been many threads on this topic, but I wanted to get opinions specifically for my situation...

I have had my Z since May 03. Since I got it, I have had it in the shop maybe 8-10 times for just about everything. Here are the problems:

1.) Warping interior plastic (especially around the Nav opening)
2.) Rattles in the dash
3.) Rattling Rear-view mirror
4.) Rattling Clutch noises when idling in neutral
5.) Window Grease
6.) Window Creaking
7.) Random transmission grinds going into 2nd (happend about 8 times so far but not lately)
8.) Cloth seats getting fuzzy around the side bosters
9.) Tire Feathering
10.) Pulling to the right
11.) Stearing wheel off center
12.) Chirping tailgate
13.) Weak tailgate struts (wouldn't hold the weight of the tailgate in the cold)
14.) Headlights have "soap scum" on them, all foggy
15.) Broken tailgate stopper (don't know how?!)
16.) Chipping paint on the under-side corners of the tailgate
17.) Strange metalic rattling from the rear somewhere
18.) Squeaky, dusty breaks
19.) Porposing (pretty bad and rather uncomfortable)
20.) Defective, rattling trim ring around the stick shift
21.) Coating on the metal top of the stick is worn off already, looks very ugly

...I think that's it but I can't really remember. So lots of these things have been fixed but lots still haven't and my dealership is getting pretty sick of me. I had to replace my destroyed tires at my own expense and haven't driven long enough to see if the feathering is fixed or not but I don't have any confidence that it is. Also, they blow me off about the tranny, the seats, the headlights, and the porposing. And I'm just tired of sticking foam and replacing cheap plastic only to have things rattle again. It'll only be time before any plastic they replaced starts making noise again.

So, I have a lawyer and he thinks he can win. What I'm hung up on is that I have to pay court costs. Whether I win or loose (I think). It looks like it could be up to $1000, maybe more for the worst case scenario. I have already put so much time and money into this car, I would hate to pay a grand and loose. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are. I have been weighing my options and I really can't make up my mind. I guess it's only because, in spite of it all, I am really in love with the Z. It's the car I want, I just want it to work and not cause me stress or financial burden anymore.

Even if it does cost me a grand, there's absolutely no cheaper way to get out of this car. I'm very in the negative as are we all, I'm sure.

But is it better to live with a crappy Z, than no Z at all? What would you do?

Thanks for the help. I've made too many adult decisions lately and I just don't want to make this one without consulting someone.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:58 PM
TZUNAMI

Wow man, sounds like a bummer. I've had a few of the main problems ( tire feathering/grease streaks/pulling) but nothing near what you had. If I had all that for so long, I'd be fed up too.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:11 AM
CaptinB

Can you trade it in on a 2004 and not lose a pile of cash?
Maybe your laywer can get them to settle for putting you in a 2004 Z.

CaptinB
Old 03-02-2004, 03:52 AM
BigBadBuford

I was in a similar position as you are. My Z didn't have quite as many problems, but it had enough to drive me nuts. I didn't want the financial burden of the Z if I couldn't truly enjoy it with the tire noise, rattles and other misc problems the car has. After thinking about it for the past few months I finally decided yesterday to trade it in on an '04 Accord EX V6 6 speed coupe. They gave me $29,300 for the Z which I didn't consider to be bad at all. The trade in value of the Z is very good, you might be better off trying to sell all your mods seperately and then trading in your car on something else that you would like more.

Last edited by BigBadBuford; 03-02-2004 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:16 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
I was in a similar position as you are. My Z didn't have quite as many problems, but it had enough to drive me nuts. I didn't want the financial burden of the Z if I couldn't truly enjoy it with the tire noise, rattles and other misc problems the car has. After thinking about it for the past few months I finally decided yesterday to trade it in on an '04 Accord EX V6 6 speed coupe. They gave me $29,300 for the Z which I didn't consider to be bad at all. The trade in value of the Z is very good, you might be better off trying to sell all your mods seperately and then trading in your car on something else that you would like more.
A 350z to a Honda Accord?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:58 AM
harrjar

I actually really liked the Accord 6MT. They couldn't get me the color I wanted. It's a totally different kind of car but I respect the Accord very much. Afterall, I traded an 01 V6-EL Coupe for my Z

It's just that I never did anything to my Accord but change the oil and now I have had some much sh*t to deal with!

I have tried trading the Z and the best I can get for it is 23k. It's an Enthusiast with 19K miles. So far I haven't found any option cheaper than the cost of these court fees...

You got an increadible deal Big Bad! I just can find any solution that makes any financial sense though. I guess part of the problem was that I overpaid by about 5K for the Z in the first place.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 AM
BigBadBuford

Originally posted by Dissolved
A 350z to a Honda Accord?
Unless I want to spend over $40k, there are no other cars out there that I really like right now. I think the Accord has a great balance of refinement and performance. It is saving me a ton of money per month too, and I still have my GS455 to have fun with when I feel the need for speed.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:57 AM
bmurphy73

Default Re: To Lemon Law or Not To Lemon Law...

Originally posted by harrjar
So, I have a lawyer and he thinks he can win. What I'm hung up on is that I have to pay court costs. Whether I win or loose (I think). It looks like it could be up to $1000, maybe more for the worst case scenario. I have already put so much time and money into this car, I would hate to pay a grand and loose. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are. I have been weighing my options and I really can't make up my mind. I guess it's only because, in spite of it all, I am really in love with the Z. It's the car I want, I just want it to work and not cause me stress or financial burden anymore.
Whatever you do, know that a claim under the lemon lawshould cost you nothing. If your lawyer is telling you otherwise, get a new lawyer. Whatever you do, don't pay your lawyer *anything* until you talk to another lawyer. Feel free to email me if you have any questions, and I can give you a couple of lawyers to talk to.

-Bmurph
Old 03-03-2004, 05:27 AM
misel00

Default Re: Re: To Lemon Law or Not To Lemon Law...

Originally posted by bmurphy73
Whatever you do, know that a claim under the lemon lawshould cost you nothing. If your lawyer is telling you otherwise, get a new lawyer. Whatever you do, don't pay your lawyer *anything* until you talk to another lawyer. Feel free to email me if you have any questions, and I can give you a couple of lawyers to talk to.

-Bmurph
Let megive you thje best advice i can! GETR RID OF THE CAR!!!! I have been going ot teh same thin g, NNAS does not even know who to fix our problems, all teh lawyers who do this type of lemon lay case that i hav espoken too were like" oh yeah, they 350, let me guess tire reatutin g, right?" it 's out the car has major issues, go to court you will win , get a 04 or your cash back! that's what i'm doing then Z-06 here i come there giving them away for 43,000 with a sticker of 53,000. let me see a Z run with a Z-06//but again, my car is a mess like yours, after 4 tries they have no clue how ot fixx teh pull ot the right and at 900 miles it statrted to feathere that was my braking point..Just my 3cents..Good luck!