Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Keep my S14(240sx), or get a 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:05 PM
samw1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd.... keep modding the 240, do a S15 front end swap, and smoke everything on the road
Old 04-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get gigglie when i see a kouki S14...

I would absolutly love to have one...

It is a different class these two cars... for a while I was thinking of hunting down a RHD S13 and turning it into a track car... but now... I want to find a S14 beater (hook it up a little bit but make it streetable) and turn my car into a true race car like our performance nissan race cars... strip the interior, roll cage, and build up a strictly track car... but... if i build it up as a strictly track Z then I would probably get some kind of nissan truck and slam it to the ground and get a small flat bed to haul my Z...

But... I would give it all up for a S15...
Old 04-15-2004, 01:37 AM
monkey7

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would agree, silvias are dope.

If you can have both, it would be nice. I just got a s13, its a fun beater/commuter car. I usually drive my z when I get in the mood. The parts for my s13 are damn inexpensive. And pretty easy to fix, so far. But for your question, maybe its time for a new upgrade/challenge, so why not try the 350?
Old 04-15-2004, 04:57 AM
BigBadBuford

I went from a '95 240SX to my 350Z. I think the 240SX actually makes a better daily driver than the Z, interior quality was pretty close and the 240 has a bit more room, 4 seats and a larger trunk when you need it. If the Z is your only car it can be a little impractical if you ever need to haul someone around, at least with the 240SX you have the option. To me both cars felt very similar to drive, except the Z had more power and it seemed to have a bit sharper steering and the suspension was a bit tighter.
Since you have so much invested in your 240, I would just go over the car and just get everything in perfect condition to take care of the reliability problems, even with the bolt ons the SR20 should hold up really well.. a FI VQ35 isn't really proven so I'd be more worried about the reliability on the Z, at least until more people get them working right. The 240SX also has lighter weight in its favor, I think they weigh in around 2700 lbs compared to the 3200 of the 350Z. Plus you won't have to worry about feathered tires!!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:44 AM
Pusha Z
Banned

Originally posted by samw1978
I'd.... keep modding the 240, do a S15 front end swap, and smoke everything on the road
^precisely, strawberry face is my favorite headlight other than the 2002-03 TL, and the 350z of course. Keep the 240 especially since it already has the SR20, and Garrett Turbo, I know I would
Old 04-15-2004, 08:39 AM
dank311

damn, everyone is making this choice hard on me now....You all have very good points, and definately made me think twice about things. But, I still think I am going to sell it. Sometimes I feel like I want something more luxurious than what I have now. It feels like I am riding in a tin can compared to the solid ride of a Z. My 240 is more raced out...back seats stripped, few things dont work here and there, no stereo, no A/C, etc...so keep that in mind.

One, I already changed my front end to the kouki S14 version. Its the later S14 front end. I think it matches better than the S15 front, since it belongs on the car. Plus, with a S15 front end, the whole front end would be fiberglass.

Two, my car has been down soo many times for reliability issues..blown gaskets, blown stock turbo, dirty this and that, wires hanging everywhere...IMO, its more of a POS car than a new Z.

Three, IMO, the Z's interior is almost exactly what I want. Although I like the G35 interior as well, I think I actually favor the Z's setup. It feel very nice, direct, smooth, and very responsive. Everything is placed right where I like it, and I like the way I sit in the car.

Four, The 240 is great, and will be in the 11's once the turbo upgrade is done...but, im not all about 1/4 mile times. I like to autoX, and do some drifting. So, I think the Z is also worthy, and capable of meeting my performance needs. Let me know if I am wrong on that one..hehe

Five, I hardly have anyone in my car...if there is its usually on one person, very rarely do I have two people in my car b/c my back seats are taken out. also, everything in my trunk is taken out. I dont go get groceries or anything like that in my car...that is what my girlfriends car is for..hehe...

Six, Before I had the 240 I had a 2000 Honda Accord V6 EX(totally decked out)...So, I liked the cross between luxury and sports car. Now that I came from that to a 240, I feel like I want a little bit more luxury and bling back in my life..hehe...

Seven, I would love to say that I owned a 350Z - TT!!!

Like I said, yall all made really good points, and I really appreciate such great responses...KEEP THEM COMIN! But, I am about 75% sure that I am going to sell the 240. I really love it, and its hard to let go of something I love, but I think it might be time to move on. I really like 6cly engines for numerous of reasons. So, really I am interested in the 350Z, G35, and the Supra. IMO, nothing else is worthy of replacing my car besides those 3. There are some others, but those are the only one in my price range right now. Also, If I could own two cars, I would, but I cant afford it. I can only own one car at a time. I am only 20 years old. I am still in college, and can only afford to mod one car.

here are a few more questions I wanna ask:

If you had a modded Z, G35, S14, and supra right next to each other. What would you pick if you could only have one? What would draw more attention? What do you think looks better exterior wise.

What would you like to be seen in out of those four cars?

What do you think has the best overal package of looks, interior, reliability, and performance?

Would you take a 400hp 4cy, or a 400 HP 6cy?

What I am looking for, is pretty much everything I have in the 240 and MORE. Same power, around the same 1/4 mile time, a decent car for autoX, drifting, and just pure driving spirit. I have clear windy roads around, and I take my car back there just to have a good time fairly often...So the twisties are probably ALOT MORE important the 1/4 mile times. I could really care less about 1/4mile times b/c there is always someone out there that is going to be faster. So, Im not trying to have a 10sec car or anything like that.hehe ANd most of all, I need it to be reliable, and streetable. With 400HP coming from a 6cyl, I find that it would probably have more streetable power than a 4cyl.

anyways, I will stop talking...MORE OPINIONS!!!!
Jon
Old 04-15-2004, 11:21 PM
BobbyBoy

Well coming from another person in the same situation as you, SR20DET powered S13 vs 350Z, I have come to decide that I will stick with my car and finish it up to be what i want it to be. Maybe in a couple of years there will be the new hot car, Skyline maybe.

Performance is probably the biggest issue with me as I like having this light weight rocket. I am in the process of gutting everything except dash, console, seats and doors to shed more weight for the sake of better handling/acceleration. I already accelerate faster than a Z so I feel preformance wise it would be a very expensive downgrade considering what I have.

Reliability wise, you will have issues in any FI car compared to an NA, but if you want power for the Z FI is the only way to go, and that hasnt been proven reliable as of yet. Hell i was at the point of possibly buying a totalled 350Z and going Topics II's route with his SR20 powered Z, but that proved very expensive and custom.

Looks wise I have a bit of work to do, but nothing a S15 front end a kit and some nice wheels can't fix
Attached Thumbnails Keep my S14(240sx), or get a 350Z?-s13.5-copy.jpg  
Old 04-16-2004, 06:48 AM
mofoz

that is one sick car
Old 04-20-2004, 08:29 AM
dank311

Well guys, I have decided to SELL The S14! So, I am either going to get a 350Z, G35, or possibly a supra. But the Z is still at the top of the list.

The biggest reaons why i decided to sell it was b/c I want a 6cyl. I am also kinda sick of all the reliability issues of a 10yr old Nissan. So now, the questions is whether I should get a Z, G, or a Supra. Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Jon
Old 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Donald0730

Decisions, Decisions................I'd pick the Supra if U can find a clean one. But that's because I already have the other 2 cars in my driveway....hehehe
Old 04-20-2004, 10:22 AM
triso07

I get the impression that you kind of want the Z, and would like to be re-assured of it. You already had an older car, why go with a supra (although it is a cool car). So your left with the Z and the G (coupe). I say Z, but i'm kind of biased