Default <<< ---- DANCING

*funky-chicken* woo hoo!
Old 06-11-2002, 12:31 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Touring...you're right about the 6 CD changer being in the Touring but I think Heugh thought the unit would be in the space behind the seat...think that's what he was asking...could be wrong...usually am
Old 06-11-2002, 12:56 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Originally posted by AudioPat
Touring...you're right about the 6 CD changer being in the Touring but I think Heugh thought the unit would be in the space behind the seat...think that's what he was asking...could be wrong...usually am
AudioPat,

The space behind the seat that Heugh referred to could be a good choice for after market CD changer (non Touring model). I installed a 10 disc. CD changer in my current Maxima trunk, and many time, I wish I can change the CD in the car (my head unit is a cassette player). My new in-dash CD changer will come in handy.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:06 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

I have one under the arm rest of my Explorer..I agree...it will be great to have it in the dash
Old 06-11-2002, 01:07 AM
Danimsta

hey im from nashville to
my g/f is at vandy(shes going the be a sophmore)
what are u dpanet?
VandyZ doesnt go to vnady anymore, hes an "allumni"
but anyway.. vandyz sent me a site for the club hes with in tennesee.
its www.middletennesseezclub.com
Old 06-11-2002, 02:59 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the lack of posts. . . I was not feeling well so I went home to rest. Anyways, I am back and feeling better.

There will not be much room for subs. I would check some of the installs done in the 90-96 Z cars and then factor in the strut tower brace. I think there will be some cool things that can be done with the back of this car, especially with the brace back there. I would even incorporate it in my designs. I will be planning a little something I will keep everyone posted (it must allow for golf clubs though). It all depends on what size speaker you want. It wont take much to fill the cabin with bass. The rear speakers are in an odd position behind the seat. I think you will be hard pressed to expect anything but mid bass from these anyway. This will work out perfectly to accent the front stage.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:14 AM
rouxeny

Hmm, I agree with some of the above posts. The "mail slot" is probably for the NAVI. If you don't put a CD changer in there, it'll be an oddly shaped storage area.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:15 AM
VandyZ

dpanet -

The car belonged to Nissan. It is the same car as seen in Ann Arbor, MI. It was driven down here for the photo shoot with some vintage Z cars from the MTZC. How this came to be I do not know yet! My first meeting was last Thursday. They were talking about the photo shoot and about a writer coming in from Germany. Bells rang in my head. . . bbray had posted something similar he had heard from someone he met. I confirmed some of the info and I was invited. . .BAM I was in. Thanks again bbray! There were photos taken at the stadium first and then everyone made it back to the hotel this is where I joined the team. We then went to eat at Shoney’s and then left for Natchez Trace. I could go on and on about every little detail if you like but I will stop for now.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:49 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Default Please Bore Me

I'm Bitting, tell all!!

Thanks again for spending all this time sharing your info. Hope your boss understands!

What camera did u use? What settings? Great clearity, not to thrilled with the seat color though. Could be a problem on my end.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:19 AM
VandyZ

The camera was less than great. In fact I had people on the other forum give me hell for it. It is a 1.3 mp Casio that I got about 5 years ago, as you can imagine it was great then but mediocre now.

I have decided to write up a short story. Give me a couple days.

I should just hold a conference call with everyone, haha.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:15 AM
john0213

Thumbs up

I notice the sunsset exterior matches the brembo perfectly!!~
and what's that seat? what 's the name of the colour?
Old 06-11-2002, 05:43 AM
VandyZ

Don’t worry the seats were black. The center sections had the little square pattern (carbon fiber like) with a hint of orange. The bolster parts were solid carbon black color. They are very comfortable. Runs a close second to a Saab on comfort, much more supportive though. (OK the Saab thing may be total opinion)
Old 06-11-2002, 05:52 AM
futuredeadguy

Thumbs up Wow!

Go Adam! Awesome photos.

Well, I'm hooked. It was definitely a great weekend. I was not planning to buy a 350 - at least not before December, but I think I have changed my mind. Probably explains why this is my first post.

I got to drive it on Natchez Trace, but deep down I wish I had been in the passenger seat when Doug Stewart drove it (That's Doug's blue '77 280 in the photo - approx 280 HP). The guy has an uncanny lack of fear of physics, much less fear of the law! Doug races a 240 ITS car and wins a lot. He also owns a Z Car repair service that has been in business for 18+ years. He knows Zs. I, on the other hand, am scared of losing my license, freedom, or most important - much needed cash! Haven't seen it mentioned yet that there was a THP car staying pretty close to us from about 11:00 on when we were on the Trace.

We did our drives in the opposite direction of the way the law was going, but the return trips to our base parking lot had to be careful ones, since he could be turning around and heading straight toward us. I got it up to 80, which is a jailable offense on the Trace (It's mostly 40 MPH zones with a few 50 MPH stretches). The Trace is also Federal property. And YES, the 350 was pulled over during the shoot. Fortunately no tickets.

The most breathtaking moment of my drive was as I downshifted three times to approach the legal limit right before I got back to our staging area. The cop was there in OUR parking lot! Doug said they heard me coming across the Highway 96 bridge and all they could say was 'Uh-Oh!' Fortunately, there were no problems.

I used the traction control, but didn't max the car enough to need it. Randy Shemin, who rode with Doug on his drive, said the traction control is pretty damn cool. WHEN they had it engaged, it was regularly "reeling the car in" when it started to break loose. Doug, as a result, had it turned off for most of the drive.

Driving impressions: Excellent acceleration, excellent braking, and absolutely the tightest steering of any car I have ever driven. I've had older Zs and currently drive a 2000 Maxima SE as my daily driver. The Maxima is a fun car with great power, but after driving the Z, I felt like I was back in my P.O.S. VW Karmann Ghia that I drove in high school. The shifter has a very short throw, but is precise. Adam's observation that it is 'clicky' is correct, but is not a problem while driving. To quote Doug on the transmission - "Fifth and sixth gears are WAY over there". I never got out of FOURTH! (Well, except to feel what sixth was like RPM-wise) Reverse requires a push down on the stick. I love the transmission.

I'll try to get Doug to write something up. He can provide an expert point of view since he races and works on all types of Zs. In the meantime, I hope this helps.

I'd like to make sure to state that the requests on this site for Adam to post pictures that would hurt the magazines irked me a bit. They not only could hurt the magazines, but they could hurt ME and my club AND our 75+ members. We are loyal Z enthusiasts, not Johnny-Come-Latelies. We depend on opportunities like this to survive as a club. If we kiss and tell, we might never get kissed again, dig? Give us a break and be thankful for what you are getting, guys.

The attached photo is 'safe'. This angle was not shot by the photographer for the mags. Adelphia Coliseum, home of the Titans, is in the background.

Lastly, we're always looking for new members (and membership is free). Just ask Adam if it's worth the price

Jim Leutgens
Chairman, Middle Tennessee Z Club - Nashville
http://middletennesseezclub.com
Attached Thumbnails A dream come true (8:30-1 with a Z)-350adc.jpg  
Old 06-11-2002, 06:00 AM
VandyZ

Thank you for posting. I was afraid to post some of those details because I did not want to upset anyone. I am sure J will post more of your pics if you want. I have told everyone who asks to use my pics to credit the club not and not me (for the exclusive). I hope you are not mad! I only released my pics by the way.

Last edited by VandyZ; 06-11-2002 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:06 AM
Scafremon

Great post Jim!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts of the drive, and the picture.

You and Adam have done a great service to this growing community of future 350 owners.

Thanks again,

Jeff

PS:
If you think Doug needs any additional coaxing to get him to write a recap, I bet I could find (what are we up to...400 plus members?) who would be happy to drop him an email
Old 06-11-2002, 06:37 AM
VandyZ

No need for my short story now! See Jim's post above. That sums it up.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:01 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Default Driving Impression

Jim,

Thanks you very much!!! For a moment, I thought I am reading my C&D magazine. I'll pass on the good word to Csaba Csere and Tony Swan, they may need another Road Test editor soon.

Last edited by Touring6MT_Z; 06-11-2002 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:01 AM
Danimsta

hey jim i got a couple questions about the club
do u HAVE to have a z?( i really love z's and know alot about them,doesnt that count? )
how many meetings(roughly) a month,year?

GREAT POST!!!!

i just cant belive i missed a 350z in MY TOWN!!!! man you guys must have been geekin( i would!!)
Old 06-11-2002, 10:24 PM
J Ritt

Thumbs up Thanks and questions...

First of all, great work guys. You've done everyone a great service, and eased the pain of waiting for us all!

I would love to hear Doug's impressions...something from an experienced racer would definitely add in some little details and comparisons!

Anyway, I'm not sure if this was covered...how clear, and how large is the view out the back window. It sounds like the bottom of the view is framed by the strut bar, but is the view expansive enough to see well? Also, are the B pillars thick enough behind the shoulder to cause blind spots? How is the view out over the hood? How much hood do you see? Did it the car seem easy to place precisely? Did the car feel light and nimble? Understeer? Oversteer?

I know, lots of questions...maybe I'm getting greedy...thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: A dream come true (8:30-1 with a Z)