Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help!! Horrrible Engine Noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 08:29 PM
autois4pussies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Horrrible Engine Noise!!!

guys i need your help. ive got like 1.5k miles on my 04 performance z and ive been getting this horrible noise from the engine or sometin. My car is completly stock. This noise does not happen ALL the time but it happens a fair amount of times. This noise/horrible feeling starts at about 3.8k rpm and its just HORRIBLE. the car just feels INCREDIBLY ruff and it just sounds like the car is in pain. It sounds really loud and baddd. Soooo bad that i shed a tear and am forced to shift at 4.2 because i cant take it anymore. It really feels like the car is redlining at 7k. its just horrible. I would say this happens about every 2 out of the 5 times i get into the car. The other times its just perfectly sexy and smooth and awsome like it should be. I always make sure the car is at fully operational temp before i go past 3.5k so i dont think its a warming up issue.

PLZ HELP GUYS I'M WORRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:56 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy **** man, are you serious? Take it to the dealer!!! That ain't normal.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:22 AM
jesseenglish

Could you give a description of what the noise sounds like and where it's coming from. Maybe we can help figure it out.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Bertg

Take it to the dealer and have a tech ride with you so he can hear the engine noise. Good Luck!
Old 06-02-2004, 01:57 PM
ztropic

That sounds bad man. Are you driving differently when it makes the noise? Are you getting on it rather than just cruising?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:35 PM
autois4pussies

Umm ok here goes. The noise seems to be coming from the engine itself. It sounds almost exactly like wat the car would sound like if u kept it in redline for a little bit. It just feels really ruff. My friend was in the car when it started doing it. and his comment was, damn that sounds horribly loud and nasty!! He has a stock civic and he said it sounded worse than wat his car sounds like when he pushes it in redline. I dont know if its an incredible amount of friction or wat. Could it be i am not getting enough air?? or maybe even feul?? I guess the best analogy i can give to the feeling is trying to drive at 40mph in first gear. On those off times the acceleration feels ruff and laboured as the engine seems to be working REALLY hard when in reallity im not doing anything major at all (just normal city driving). I really dont drive it differently when it happens. I usually shift at around 4.2K ish, but when its one of those horribly ruff times i have to shift at like 3.5 or else it gets too bad. Wat im realizing that this might be happening only from about 3.9k to about 4.6k and it sounds/feels fine after that. I want to take it to the dealer, but im worried that it might be one of the times when it runs smooth and then the tech guys wont be able to identify the problem and then i wont be taken seriously.

By the way, thx a lot guys for the help. You have no idea how cool it is when people help out complete strangers. I FEEL THE LOVE !!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:39 PM
ztropic

How is your oil pressure? I know this sounds stupid but check your oil level. If it is O.K. consider changing the oil to see if there is any debris or shavings in the oil. This might help narrow down whether it is a catastrophic internal engine problem or not.

Trending Topics

Old 06-02-2004, 05:23 PM
autois4pussies

thanks for the tip, ill look into it! Um usually when the car is at full operating temp, the psi is about 58 to 60. When i drive calmly and normally its like 86ish to 90ish (lol). When i put the petal to the metal it jumps to like 110 to 115. I think thats normal... Ill check the oil. Do u think going synthetic like mobile 1 would help this or it wouldnt matter?

thx for the help
Old 06-02-2004, 05:28 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, seriously, if your car is as bad as you say it is, I'd drop it on Nissan's doorstep and tell them to drive it until they can recreate the problem. Whose to say that the engine isn't going to fail and leave you stranded, or worse, cause you to have an accident. And you don't want to head down the road of "I'm sorry, you've abused the car so your warranty is......"

As far as additional questions about the conditions under which this occurs, here's a few....

Is you A/C on when this happens? (I'm thinking seized compressor or something.

Are you remembering to release the parking brake, or is the brake sticking after you've release it? (I know it sounds dumb, but hey, I'm trying to help)

Do you have normal power when this is happening, or is the engine in distress.

Does the water temp go up when this happens (thinking seized water pump)

Have you inspected your belts for abnormal wear?

Is there anything that doesn't work normally when this is occuring?

Does the car make noise at idle? If so, have you tried to identify the location of the noise under the hood?

Good luck man...I think you're nuts if you keep driving that thing anywhere but to the dealership.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It's covered under warranty man. Take it to the dealer. Even if it means getting a new engine, it's worth it so that it is covered under warranty.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:08 PM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to your dealer, what can you lose...a little bit of gas?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:48 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it happen if you rev the engine in neutral? If so maybe it would be easy to take it to the dealer and rev it until the noise happens. Otherwise, I'd try to figure out how to get them to ride with you until the noise happens. If it is truly every 2 out of 5 times then it should take long for them to hear it.

Maybe you could also look into having your oil changed and analyzed for debris.

Good luck!

-D'oh!