Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Greddy evoII exhaust trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:07 PM
04evo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy evoII exhaust trouble?

I got the exhaust installed 2 days ago and today the "service engine soon" light came on. I took it back to the place where i got it installed and they double checked everything even with greddy and said everything was and is done proper. They said to just disconnect the battery to restart the sensor and see if it comes back on. The gas cap was not loose but i did add some octane boost to my fill up if that could have anything to do with it? If anyone knows anything about my problem replies will be greatly appretiated!
Old 06-03-2004, 02:52 PM
kzshin

never heard anything like that from Greddy exhaust.
Octane boost might have something to do with it.

just wait till you use up all the gas that is mix with octane boost and see what's going on.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:51 PM
04evo2

Originally posted by kzshin
never heard anything like that from Greddy exhaust.
Octane boost might have something to do with it.

just wait till you use up all the gas that is mix with octane boost and see what's going on.
thats what im thinking because when i look under the car everything looks so perfect. i think it was just the gas. Also is the only way to get that light to go off to unhook the battery?
Old 06-03-2004, 05:35 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I have had the GReddy EVO2 installed on my '04 Track for a few months now, and my SES light has come on twice. I took the car to the dealership to have the code pulled, and it was for a "Gross EVAP leak". The EVAP system is that black box that got moved to the center of the vehicle to make room for the right muffler. There are two black solid metal pipes about 3/4" in diameter that come from the front of car and are connected via rubber tubing to the EVAP unit. Right at the end of those black metal pipes, they bend about 30 degrees to the right to make a straight shot to the stock location of the EVAP unit. The problem I had was that the with the new location of the EVAP unit, the rubber tubing has to make a 180 degree bend to loop around to the fittings on the EVAP box. The smaller of the rubber tubes provided by GReddy is about 1.5 to 2 inches too short, so when you push it onto the metal tube at one end and the EVAP box fitting on the other, it "kinked" in the middle just a bit. I think this restriction appears to the "flow sensor" in the EVAP box as if the system isn't getting as much flow as it should, so it registers a leak. Also, I had to bend one of the metal tubes up toward the trunk pan about 1/2 inch to get it clear of the muffler. It was pressing really hard against the muffler otherwise. This was very difficult because the tubes are quite rigid. I don't think this contributed to the SES light, but it was a fitment problem nonetheless. Also, make sure all of your clamps are in place and tight, and that none of the plastic fittings on the EVAP housing are cracked. Also, and I know it sounds silly, but make sure the rubber tubes are connected properly..If you have them backwards, that'll cause problems for sure.

If your dealership is cool, they'll probably pull the code for you at no cost. Go from there.....Good luck!
Old 06-11-2004, 07:48 AM
04evo2

hey bro i got everything rechecked and they said everything looked fine so they just told me to get new gas and then unhook the battery. I did all of that and got the light to go off and then a day later it came back on. so now i know it is the exhaust. What exactly did you have to do to your hoses to get them right?
Old 06-11-2004, 08:08 AM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

A bit off topic, but on the evap unit, are your hoses firmly up against the exhaust?

Mine are wrapped in heat shielding, but I'm wondering if that's enough. The hoses are directly against the canister.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:18 AM
04evo2

mine are also directly against the canister very firmly but they are heat wrapped. Is your light on?
Old 06-11-2004, 08:31 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by 04evo2
hey bro i got everything rechecked and they said everything looked fine so they just told me to get new gas and then unhook the battery. I did all of that and got the light to go off and then a day later it came back on. so now i know it is the exhaust. What exactly did you have to do to your hoses to get them right?
You really should go get the code pulled to see what error is being picked up by the ECU. You could be chasing your tail with the EVAP system. Let us know what you get.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:33 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by 2004z
A bit off topic, but on the evap unit, are your hoses firmly up against the exhaust?

Mine are wrapped in heat shielding, but I'm wondering if that's enough. The hoses are directly against the canister.
The heat shield cloth is provided because the tubing sits against the muffler by design, it's no biggie. Just make sure that the heat shield can't move and you'll be fine. The temperature of the mufflers is nothing for that heat shield.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:43 AM
04evo2

i'm just afraid to go to the dealer because im not sure if they are cool with mods or not!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:54 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by 04evo2
i'm just afraid to go to the dealer because im not sure if they are cool with mods or not!
Why are you afraid? All you're asking them to do is pull the code. If it turns out to be something truly exhaust related, they're not going to cover it anyway, and if it isn't, then you're good-to-go because it's covered under warranty. It's not like they're keeping a record of you in their "trouble-maker file" or anything, so you should go let 'em pull the code. My dealership was totally in-line with this when I went. They pulled the code, told me what it was, and recommended that I take the car back to the installer to fix because the muffler was jammed up against the EVAP tube. Other than that, they didn't say a word.

If it turns out to be the EVAP system, then it's arguable whether that's exhaust related or not, really. You didn't "modify" the evap system, all you did was relocate the canister and re-reroute the plumbing.

Either way, you need to know what error the ECU is seeing so you know where to look. All of the exhaust components come after the O2 sensors, so it's not like they can say your exhaust system caused a problem with that.

And look at it this way, you're not going to get any support from GReddy on this until you have more information (i.e. what's the code)
Old 06-11-2004, 09:14 AM
04evo2

aight man thanks i'll try it.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:25 AM
MDubbsZ

my SES light came on shortly after installing the EVO2. installers tried to disconnect the battery, but its still on. i'm sure the SES light is related to the exhaust/EVAP. i'll probably try to rearrange the tubes myself. not sure the EVO2 is the best designed exhaust as mine is not aligned properly either. you'd expect better from GReddy especially for a $1000 exhaust...
Old 06-11-2004, 09:41 AM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

I've only had my exhaust on for a week and have only driven it a handful of times. My SES light ahs not yet come on (knock on wood).

How soon did this happen to you guys? Was it immediate or did it take a while to happen?

MDubbsZ, just curious, but where did you get your exhaust installed? I'm in the bay too.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:16 AM
04evo2

my exhaust looks great and the light came on after the second day. By the way i just got back from the dealer and the scanner read a small leak. he put the car on the lift and all the tubes looked unrestricted but the connector from the bigger tube to the evap box wiggles a little. the mechanic said it is supposed to be firm and air tight and it seems to be loose. so he reset the light and if it comes back on im going to replace the connector and see what happens.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:19 PM
04evo2

i took my car to the dealer to get it scanned and believe it or not it reads a small exhaust leak. the guy put it on the lift and there is a cylindrical plastic tube which at one end holds a sensor and at the other end connects to a tube. The piece then connects to the evap box. the guy said he could wiggle the piece and said it should be firm and air tight. so im trying to get the installer to pay for the piece and the scan. the whole deal is really pissing me off after spending $1100 just to make trouble!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:45 PM
kcobean

Is it reading an exhaust leak or an EVAP leak? I don't think there is a way for the ECU to detect a leak in the exhaust system itself, so I'd imagine it's an EVAP leak. Where is this plastic tube you're speaking of? Back by the EVAP box? If so, I'd just go buy a hose-clamp or two and call it good. I doubt your installer is going to refund the cost of your dealer's diagnostics fees, but it's worth a try.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:49 PM
04evo2

well about two weeks ago i had everything loosened and checked and then re-tightened. after another tank of gas we reset the light one more time. Its been two weeks now and it hasn't come back on. So now the problem is finnally fixed. I guess it was the octane boost that caused the problem unless we fixed it by rechecking the system.anyways im happy now and would not suggest anyone to use octane booster in their Z.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:02 PM
kcobean

Awesome! Glad you got it worked out. The code for the EVAP leak wouldn't be caused by Octane boost. You probably fixed it with the hose recheck. That sensor in the EVAP box must be pretty sensitive.