2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Jewel's First Time at a Drag Strip!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 10:22 AM
jasonintoronto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jewelz350
I'm an autoX racer too.
how is the z on the autox? what was your previous car and how does it compare?
Old 10-17-2002, 11:01 AM
Jewelz350

The Putnam Park event is being put on by the Mustang Club out of Indy. It is a track event and not autoX. Two days of track racing for $270. Hopefully no trading of paint goes on! If you want the link just PM me and I'll send it to you.

I only got one race in using the Z. My other car is an '02 Civic EX. Hardly seems fair to compare them does it? LOL. More than doubled the HP and went rear drive. Talk about a learning curve! I wimped out and left the VDC on for my four runs. That won't happen again. Took a fun run at the end with VDC off and I still laugh thinking about it. I've got video of the first four runs. I wish someone would have taped the fun run because it was a whole different experience. To answer your original question, it was 350 times better than the Civic!

New tires are definitely needed. Experienced some push (get that VDC off and it will help get the back end around). Need to play with the tire pressure as well. Loved the slalom though! Brakes are fantastic. Looking forward to next season.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:06 PM
J Ritt

I attended one autoX with the Z thus far...ton of fun!!! I used to drive an integra type R. The biggest difference is the torque. I literally couldn't get the power to the ground. A set of race tires on this car is going to be a HUGE difference vs. stock. My first set of 4 runs was like the WRC...sliding everywhere...and loving it! It is a completely different driving style than I'm used to, but it is also a lot more fun. It looks like I should be able to get 2 more local events in this year...i can't wait. I had a little bit of push, but the course was in a huge lot with more sweepers and fewer really tight turns. I need to play with tire pressures...I'm used to playing with the FWD pressures...much different. After talking to people after the last event...my pressures were all wrong! Here's a nice little handling guide for pressures:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...n/racepres.htm
Old 10-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Jewelz350

J Ritt--good info, thanks for the link.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:05 PM
FstQban

J- please make sure that you post when you are going to an autox event next. I am very interested in going with you guys. Never been able to go, but what better way to start than with my 350?!

Jewelz- great job on those times. I would've loved to have seen the face on those jerks who say that girls can't drive! I hate those guys that give the rest of us a bad name!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:18 PM
troutfishin02

Default Momma used to tell me....

to be hoinest, most women I know dont care about drag strips, cars racing etc. and thats acceptable. They are from venus, we are from mars.

that some of us are from Uranus, apparently.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:47 PM
negcamber

Originally posted by Jewelz350
I only got one race in using the Z. My other car is an '02 Civic EX. Hardly seems fair to compare them does it? LOL. More than doubled the HP and went rear drive. Talk about a learning curve! I wimped out and left the VDC on for my four runs. That won't happen again. Took a fun run at the end with VDC off and I still laugh thinking about it. I've got video of the first four runs. I wish someone would have taped the fun run because it was a whole different experience. To answer your original question, it was 350 times better than the Civic!

New tires are definitely needed. Experienced some push (get that VDC off and it will help get the back end around). Need to play with the tire pressure as well. Loved the slalom though! Brakes are fantastic. Looking forward to next season.
Hey Joyia, what region do you autox with? I'd like to pull the website to see how the 350z's times compared to the rest of the field.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:18 PM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Default Nice job !

Hey Joyia, excellent work! You know, I'm only an hour away from Putnam Park and have many friends who have gone there and say its nice, alot of fun, and not a big drain on the wallet. I look forward to heading out there sometime.

And Frank,, next time there's a Z outing in Chi town,, spread the word,, I would love to go.

RaymanZ
Old 10-18-2002, 04:22 AM
Jewelz350

Solo info:

http://www.fwscca.com/

Event results are listed under Flying So-Low SoloII Event 7 Results.

Video is under Solo Movies Added From Muncie AutoX.

Hope the car gets classed in B Stock next year. The car was hanging with all the other B stock cars except that M3. Hey, it was the first autoX in that car so maybe with that new set of tires and a few more runs, it could aim for the M3.

THANKS to everyone for your support. Wish me luck at the track event next weekend.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:48 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! I'm impressed!

Not because you are a woman and could get such good 1/4mile runs, but because you are first time drag racer and geo such good times! It just goes to show how forgiving this car can be for drivers of all experience levels. Though, I bet Ms. Jewelz350 has done her fair share of light to light racing.

I'd be interested in hearing about your next drag day experience. Be cool to hear how much your time improves when you drop some of the extra weight (on the car, not you... damn, I gotta watch me comments! ), change the tire pressure, and hone your launch a little. Sounds like mid 13s are not out of the question.

Didn't see any track numbers... how did you fair there with how you expected to fair? I ask because you apparently have done that before in your Civic. Just wondering if your runs pleased you or you feel like you could do better as you acclimate to the Z.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:02 AM
Jewelz350

Andy,

I've autoX in the Civic before but I've never done a track event in it. Pleased with the autoX. I think it will be better with the VDC off.

My first track event is NEXT weekend. I did a driver's school at Mid Ohio and got about an hours worth of track time there but it wasn't really racing. I did have the fastest lap though. Pretty excited about next weekend.

Thanks for the compliment. It really was a lot of fun and I'll definitely try dragging again next year!