Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Connecting portable mp3 player to Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 12:44 PM
BAMachinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting portable mp3 player to Z

Does anybody have experience/instructions dealing with how to directly connect a portable mp3 player (Dell Jukebox) to the Z without having to use the portable FM wireless equip?

i.e. using a jack to directly connect it through the back of the radio?

Thx.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Jetpilot718

You're gonna need a radio that supports either RCA cables, or has an option for say, a disk changer. If it has the disk changer option (like I believe the stock Z radio does), you will need to buy a part that converts the RCA's into the ribbon type plug (the square multi-pin plud, also called a DIN).

G/L, and how much was the Dell?? Also, how many GB does it store? Thanks...
Old 08-09-2004, 03:13 PM
BAMachinist

thx dude...i haven't picked up the dell yet..but my friends all say it is cool but has crappy software
Old 08-09-2004, 03:15 PM
jwkirkland

I still use a freaking tape cassette converter......
Old 08-09-2004, 03:45 PM
ZBoater

Default Re: Connecting portable mp3 player to Z

Originally posted by BAMachinist
Does anybody have experience/instructions dealing with how to directly connect a portable mp3 player (Dell Jukebox) to the Z without having to use the portable FM wireless equip?

i.e. using a jack to directly connect it through the back of the radio?

Thx.
Which Bose radio do you have? Is it satellite ready? Check your owners manual to determine which radio you have. If you have a satellite ready BOSE head unit, you can buy an aux-in adapter from PAC-Audio that will give you two inputs into your radio. You can then connect your MP3 player to the back of the radio and get excellent sound quality.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:03 AM
flaviano

Default Re: Re: Connecting portable mp3 player to Z

why the DELL. get an IPOD.... the Z deserves nothing less than an IPOD..... lets those mustang drivers use the DELL.

Last edited by flaviano; 08-10-2004 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:36 AM
BAMachinist

Default Re: Re: Re: Connecting portable mp3 player to Z

Originally posted by flaviano
why the DELL. get an IPOD.... the Z deserves nothing less than an IPOD..... lets those mustang drivers use the DELL.
Hey Flaviano-

In case I get an Ipod instead, how are you connecting it to your car?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:44 AM
zlove

I vouch for the iPod! I have one and I use an iTrip(FM Transmitter) to play the cool tunes.

I know you said you didn't want wireless FM but I just thought I would tell you that this option works very well. The iTrip is very cheap, it plugs right in to the iPod and you can select which station you want to broadcast on right through the iPod controls.

It works really well, I rarely have to change the station (Set it to 107.9). I just sit the iPod in the upper console in the dash within easy reach.

Well just I thought, very cheap and its really easy to use! (And you can take it in to other vehicles as well!)
Old 08-10-2004, 09:55 AM
flaviano

well i have the ipod. and used to have it connected to my mini cooper s. the cooper came with an aux jack for the ipod from the dealer (350z needs that, nissan are you listening). so i am also trying to figure out how to connect my ipod to my 350z. i don't have the bose system so i can't use the tape deck adaptor. i have not heard very good things about the fm transmitter. it just does no produce claen , rich, cd quality sound. so i'm kind of stuck too. i've been burning everything onto CDs. but now i have tons of mix CDs cluttering up my Z. i don't mind the stock stereo. it sound decent to me. if anything i was looking to upgrade the speakers in the spring. but what good will that do me. i still am such without a way to connect my ipod. and right after i sold my mini for the Z look what else they come out with.

http://motoringfile.com/2004/07/19/t...ector_reviewed

we need that kind of support for the Z.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:55 AM
zblue70

I have my iPod hooked into my aftermarket Eclipse AVN2454 player. It works so much better using RCA's than using it through the radio stations. With the RCA's it sounds like a cd. Through the radio, is exactly what you get, radio quality. I ended up sitting the iPod in the location where the nav is and it sits there without me having to do anything else. If your able, go the RCA route totally.