Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

burning clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Maccamera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning clutch

OK, so I get stuck on an extreme hill facing down. At the end, there is only the guard rail before sheer cliff. I try to turn around in someones driveway, but their driveway is built in a screwed up way, so my car bottoms out on the apex of the driveway, hence, I can't even get on it. So, I try to back up the hill (6 MT) but my clutch just slips and the tires spin because the hill is so steep and there isn't enough weight in the back. Now, I'm only a couple of feet from the guard rail that sends me over the cliff and the smell of burning clutch is thick in the air. I call a tow truck, and he informs me that I am the 3rd car this week that he has had to pull off this hill. The car appears to drive fine, but, there is still a small hint of the smell of burning clutch when I slowly start in 1st gear. Is this just some sort of risidual, or is my baby seriously hurt and in need of a new clutch???
Old 08-14-2004, 11:09 PM
elyliu

I had something similar happen to me before. Right after the incident (or even 1-2 hours after) the clutch seems really weak and slips very easily. At the time, I thought I had to replace the clutch as well, but over time, the smell is completely gone and the grabby-ness comes back.

I am not so sure why this happens though. Can someone enlighten us?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:42 AM
roydiculous

That seems very bizarre. I'd be interesting in seeing this hill in person or at least a picture.

The Z is a sports car with good brakes, I don't see how it could have a problem with a hill that other cars can descend.

Did you downshift into 2nd gear and use your brakes? I just don't see how this hill is safe for driving if it can immobilize a 350Z so easily.

I was in the While Mountains, NH over the weekend and there were some VERY steep grades. I just threw my car in 3rd gear and feathered my brakes the whole way down while the sedans and family cars were cooking their brakes.

That's why we all need VW Toureg V8s with Hill Descend control

Last edited by roydiculous; 08-16-2004 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:53 AM
dnguyent

Next time you get into this situation, open your rear hatch, and get a few friends to sit inside (to add weight). I had to do this years ago with a 2X pickup in wet/slushy conditions.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:08 AM
roydiculous

Oh... I think I read the post wrong. So the steep hill was a dead end?

No room to do a 3 point turn? (Or 200 point turn like in Austin Powers 1 - Saw it on TBS this weekend)
Old 08-16-2004, 09:26 AM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me b4 too. I made it but it wasnt too great for my clutch. It smelled bad for like 2 days but after it was fine. Thats why I try to avoid backing up on hills now.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Maccamera

Yeah, the street was really narrow (houses were only on one side). I didn't realize until I was nearly at the very end of the dead end that I couldn't 3 point turn because like I said, the driveway in the last house had an apex on it and the car bottomed out. Attempting a 3 point turn was impossible because the car wouldn't back up the hill far enough to even start a turn. The whole situation sucked because I was lost in the first place. Either way, a few days later the car no longer has the sent of burning clutch and seems to drive just fine, which is all I was looking for.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Egbert Souse

for whatever it's worth, i burned up a tilton clutch and flywheel in about 5000 miles by slipping it too much trying for smooth launches. good luck.
Attached Thumbnails burning clutch-tilton-clutch.jpg  
Old 08-17-2004, 05:19 AM
roydiculous

Yikes! I wonder if front wheel drive cars have the same problem trying to drive UP the hill. Probably not b/c front wheel cars have a front weight bias?

Sorry to hear that - I would hate to be in that situation. Glad the burning is gone.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:07 AM
the7ferret

I would rather have a burning clutch than a car flying off the side of cliff. but anyways, if you were stuck how did you get out?

n/m tow truck
Old 09-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Maccamera

AAA is a good thing. The tow truck guy came and pulled me out. Funny thing is, according to him I was the third car he had pulled off of this same spot in a short time. Since my e-brake wouldn't hold, I had to stay in the car while he pulled me out.
Originally posted by the7ferret
I would rather have a burning clutch than a car flying off the side of cliff. but anyways, if you were stuck how did you get out?

n/m tow truck
Old 09-13-2004, 01:38 PM
MadMax76

I would love to see the picture(s) of that hill. Wouldn't it be a great place to teach newbs how to use the clutch .

P.S. By the way, I am not trying to imply anything about Maccamera driving ability.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:49 PM
elyliu

Originally posted by Maccamera
AAA is a good thing. The tow truck guy came and pulled me out. Funny thing is, according to him I was the third car he had pulled off of this same spot in a short time. Since my e-brake wouldn't hold, I had to stay in the car while he pulled me out.
must by some crazy hill if the parking brakes can't hold on.....
Old 09-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Strife350z

i've always found reverse gear on the Z to be a bit too tall... it should've been geared like 1st IMO... most ppl don't need to reverse at 35 mph anyway

anyway good luck... and post pics of that hill if you ever dare to go back

Last edited by Strife350z; 09-13-2004 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was it clutch or tires?
Old 09-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Maccamera

Both. . . I kept leaving rubber on the street from the tires, small skids not like burn outs. But that is a far different smell than the viscous smell of a burning clutch. . . kind of like burning brakes when your coming down a long mountain in an old Chevy Cavalier.
Originally posted by Jason@Performance
was it clutch or tires?