Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

How does "S Mode" works on MT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:33 PM
enuff4life

Default How does "S Mode" works on MT?

I saw a video that does not have a sound on youtube. When the driver downshifts, the rev automatically matches without any throtle.

So my question is... If we upshift, will it also match the correct rev for next gear? and how does it work?
Old 11-21-2008 | 08:54 PM
whoady4shoady

Just search. There are many other threads with this already.
Old 11-21-2008 | 09:37 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?
Premier Member

You don't rev-match when you're upshifting. The process of accelerating naturally matches revs. It's for down only.
Old 11-22-2008 | 08:55 AM
Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Vendor - Former Vendor

even if you granny upshift?

Will the system work on downshifts with a lightened flywheel?
Old 11-22-2008 | 09:02 AM
DIGItonium

https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/4...rev-match.html
https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/3...n-trannys.html
https://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/3...1-11-08-a.html

I just posted wondering if the system can be defeated by blipping the throttle first before the computer takes over.
Old 11-22-2008 | 01:00 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DIGItonium

I just posted wondering if the system can be defeated by blipping the throttle first before the computer takes over.
...or you push the button to shut it off.
Old 11-22-2008 | 02:46 PM
davidv

Here's another gizmo by Nissan that we have to figure out how to disable.
Old 11-22-2008 | 05:13 PM
bruddahmatt

Originally Posted by davidv
Here's another gizmo by Nissan that we have to figure out how to disable.
Yah you know...or not.

Name:  IMG_0849.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  49.8 KB

Old 11-23-2008 | 08:07 AM
DIGItonium

The S-Mode switch is not an effective solution to this dilemma.

What happens if you manually blip the throttle while the computer tries to rev on its own? I'm questioning the full-proof nature of this design.

Though none of us has tried this on our own, but it's something to think about.
Old 11-23-2008 | 08:12 AM
PA 19103

You know know if this thing defaults ON or OFF when you start your car?

Maybe let's just hope this S-Mode thing uses its own fuse, I would just unplug that fuse slot from the fuse box. Problem solved! I'll do my own rev matching, thank you Nissan.
Old 11-23-2008 | 08:14 AM
DIGItonium

None of us know, which is why I'm curious other than to opt out of the Sports Package (crazy?). LOL.
Old 11-23-2008 | 02:16 PM
bruddahmatt

The S-Mode switch is not an effective solution to this dilemma.

What happens if you manually blip the throttle while the computer tries to rev on its own? I'm questioning the full-proof nature of this design.

Though none of us has tried this on our own, but it's something to think about.
Pushing the button disables the SRM system which allows you to perform your own heel and toe downshifts. So yes, this is an effective solution.

Originally Posted by PA 19103
You know know if this thing defaults ON or OFF when you start your car?

Maybe let's just hope this S-Mode thing uses its own fuse, I would just unplug that fuse slot from the fuse box. Problem solved! I'll do my own rev matching, thank you Nissan.
This of course is the one catch. They system defaults to on when you start the car. Not sure if there's a way to set the default to off. I know several features on Infinitis such as their Lane Departure Warning can be set so that it defaults to off (many people don't know this) so here's hoping that you can do the same with SRM. If not, someone will make a mod.
Old 11-24-2008 | 08:50 PM
DIGItonium

I understand the switch is an effective solution, but I'm not getting this "full-proof" design. For days where one forgets to turn it off and tries to heel-toe with the system engaged, I wonder about the likelihood of double-blipping the throttle.

Sure you can solve these dilemmas with a simple switch, but what happens when you forget?

I know I sometimes forget to turn off TCS before launching and end up bogging down the track.
Old 11-25-2008 | 08:00 PM
dyezak

I understand the switch is an effective solution, but I'm not getting this "full-proof" design. For days where one forgets to turn it off and tries to heel-toe with the system engaged, I wonder about the likelihood of double-blipping the throttle.

Sure you can solve these dilemmas with a simple switch, but what happens when you forget?

I know I sometimes forget to turn off TCS before launching and end up bogging down the track.

So you're blaming the "problem" on your inability to remember to push a button? Yup, your mental fortitude is Nissan's problem. Might want to go in for warantee work on your attention span.
Old 11-25-2008 | 09:04 PM
DIGItonium

Originally Posted by dyezak
So you're blaming the "problem" on your inability to remember to push a button? Yup, your mental fortitude is Nissan's problem. Might want to go in for warantee work on your attention span.
Mature. Don't get me started on your spelling either.

I'm not blaming, and I'm not saying there's a problem. I'm curious, so what good do you have to contribute to this forum with regards to your smart-*** comment?

I wonder what happens if the driver tries to rev-match while the SynchroRev system is active. Mr. Obvious says there's an S-Mode switch to press to disengage the system. Big whoop. I know that, but what happens when the driver forgets to disengage the system?

It is something to discuss and think about until the car arrives in showrooms. what the hostility is about.
Old 11-25-2008 | 10:46 PM
CaliTouring

LOL looks like another nissan tranny option that will void your warranty if you use it.
Old 11-26-2008 | 05:43 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

I'm still trying to figure out what "full-proof" means.....

Fool proof would be the better usage.
Old 11-26-2008 | 06:31 AM
DIGItonium

Originally Posted by bryan@Z1
I'm still trying to figure out what "full-proof" means.....

Fool proof would be the better usage.
Ah, I subconsciously misspelled the word. I'm just curious what happens when the system is still active when you try to manually rev-match. IIRC, Edmund's reviewer notice the car revved real high when popping out of gear after hard acceleration.
Old 11-26-2008 | 06:43 AM
in.the.dark

Ah, I subconsciously misspelled the word. I'm just curious what happens when the system is still active when you try to manually rev-match. IIRC, Edmund's reviewer notice the car revved real high when popping out of gear after hard acceleration.
DIGI,

Likely it's all accounted for in the electronic throttle programming. If you blip with S mode on, it may ignore it completely or only add the additional throttle input over what is already there. It may also set a temporary rev limit to prevent over-revving. I'm sure they thought about it. Nissan is a big company with a lot of engineers and a lot of testing is done from a quality control testing that basically asks what could go wrong in the hands of an idiot.
Old 11-26-2008 | 07:07 AM
DIGItonium

Originally Posted by in.the.dark
DIGI,

Likely it's all accounted for in the electronic throttle programming. If you blip with S mode on, it may ignore it completely or only add the additional throttle input over what is already there. It may also set a temporary rev limit to prevent over-revving. I'm sure they thought about it. Nissan is a big company with a lot of engineers and a lot of testing is done from a quality control testing that basically asks what could go wrong in the hands of an idiot.
Understood.

I guess if it goes out of hand they will probably comment out that code and disable it (i.e., GT-R's launch control).

Quick Reply: How does "S Mode" works on MT?