Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

Test drive today....

Old 01-02-2009, 05:30 PM
  #1  
ZZtopp
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
ZZtopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,955
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drive today....

Test drove a pearl white touring 7sp auto today. It's the only one they had. The car feels fairly quick and strong until you get past 2nd, then it feels like my old 350Z....it's underpowered. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the V8 of the C6 Corvette, but there is certainly no wow factor in the power.

Beyond that, the interior is very nice and even at 6'3" I fit just fine. The car has a comfortable ride and based on the limited amount of thrashing I could get away with on the brief test drive, the handling is fine, even with the slight bit of body roll. Visually......uh.....it's okay.....certainly more aggressive than the 350Z but not nearly as clean and cohesive. It's really a shame....a few tweaks here and there and Nissan would have created something special. As it is, it's a bit odd....like they were trying just a little too hard be different. The profile seems to be the best angle.....in person, anyway.

Overall it's a very nice car but there's not enough greatness in any area for my taste.
ZZtopp is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 05:38 PM
  #2  
sandthepilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TUALATIN,OR-E-GON NOT ORY-GONE
Posts: 515
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the review
sandthepilot is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 05:38 PM
  #3  
sandthepilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TUALATIN,OR-E-GON NOT ORY-GONE
Posts: 515
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

How were the paddle shifters on the 7SPD Auto?
sandthepilot is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
  #4  
skaterbasist
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
skaterbasist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: .
Posts: 2,075
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The Z33 never really did anything for me. The Z34 in the other hand, looks much better in my eyes.

I also test drove the 370Z and it was a little more subtle than I thought it would be. But the Z34 > Z33 hands down. Ofcourse, the style of it is probably the only subjective area of the car that people will have different opinions on.
skaterbasist is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 PM
  #5  
DustinG37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Bernardino
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This VQ engine off the lot definately needs a little love... A reflash and some some bolt ons did the trick for the G37.
DustinG37 is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 05:58 PM
  #6  
ZZtopp
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
ZZtopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,955
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sandthepilot View Post
How were the paddle shifters on the 7SPD Auto?
Great....quick shifts......faster than the paddles on my C6.
ZZtopp is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 PM
  #7  
sandthepilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TUALATIN,OR-E-GON NOT ORY-GONE
Posts: 515
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZZtopp View Post
Great....quick shifts......faster than the paddles on my C6.
Thats exactly what I wanted to hear
sandthepilot is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 06:11 PM
  #8  
WTX350Z
Registered User
iTrader: (8)
 
WTX350Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,300
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by ZZtopp View Post
Great....quick shifts......faster than the paddles on my C6.
that's encouraging for the auto boys
WTX350Z is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
  #9  
WestRace
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: LA,CA.
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

370Z to C6 is like a college grad comes visit his Oklahoma uncle.

The C6 sure has the straight line speed but the push rod engine doesn't do it for me. I test drove it and hated it it. The C6 is like a better muscle car.
WestRace is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 PM
  #10  
ZZtopp
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
ZZtopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,955
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
370Z to C6 is like a college grad comes visit his Oklahoma uncle.

The C6 sure has the straight line speed but the push rod engine doesn't do it for me. I test drove it and hated it it. The C6 is like a better muscle car.
I did not mention the Corvette in my review to make this another stupid Vette vs. Z thread...it was simply a point of reference. Get over it.
ZZtopp is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 PM
  #11  
krucialb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: new orleans
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

why was the vette even mentioned at all in first post? i dont think ive ever seen you post without mentioning the word vette.
krucialb is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 12:12 AM
  #12  
bigdog1250
Registered User
 
bigdog1250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sonoma, CA
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

ALL this man's threads make reference to his Vette. Why would you buy an AUTO Vette? Are you driving around bragging about your wife's car?
bigdog1250 is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 06:07 AM
  #13  
DomZ
Registered User
 
DomZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,129
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bigdog1250 View Post
ALL this man's threads make reference to his Vette. Why would you buy an AUTO Vette? Are you driving around bragging about your wife's car?
Don't start that crap - auto vs. manual means jack **** these days.
DomZ is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 AM
  #14  
Firebase99
Registered User
 
Firebase99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 1,135
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Easy gents...he made reference to the vette for comparison. IMO his review helped. I plan on driving both today at about noon, back to back.
Firebase99 is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 AM
  #15  
scrapser
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
scrapser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dover, NH
Posts: 426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for posting...I plan on checking out the car today just to say I've done so. Your impression about it's appearance is also mine...I doubt it will change from seeing it in person and plan on voicing my objections to the dealer when I go there...not that it will change anything but at least they will know there are people who are disappointed in what Nissan decided we should all like for the next 5 or 6 years.
scrapser is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 AM
  #16  
ZZtopp
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
ZZtopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,955
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by krucialb View Post
why was the vette even mentioned at all in first post? i dont think ive ever seen you post without mentioning the word vette.


Duh.....let's see: Because I drove them both back to back? Because right now you can get a new Vette for under $40K which puts in the same price range as the non-discounted 370Z? Because anyone with half a brain and an open mind will consider both cars?

Funny......I mentioned the 350Z also.....don't hear you whining about that. It's also a different car and a point of reference.
ZZtopp is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM
  #17  
ZZtopp
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
ZZtopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,955
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bigdog1250 View Post
ALL this man's threads make reference to his Vette. Why would you buy an AUTO Vette? Are you driving around bragging about your wife's car?
How was banned camp? Ready for a trip back?
ZZtopp is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 AM
  #18  
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic
iTrader: (1)
 
The Brickyard Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sacramento, Ca.
Posts: 6,960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Okay, guys, ZZtopp posted his thoughts after a test drive. Personally, I was pleased to read it.

Don't turn this into a Vette vs Z or auto Vs. Mt rant deal.
The Brickyard Rat is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 10:09 AM
  #19  
kham25
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY/NJ
Posts: 1,977
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZZtopp View Post
Test drove a pearl white touring 7sp auto today. It's the only one they had. The car feels fairly quick and strong until you get past 2nd, then it feels like my old 350Z....it's underpowered. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the V8 of the C6 Corvette, but there is certainly no wow factor in the power.

Beyond that, the interior is very nice and even at 6'3" I fit just fine. The car has a comfortable ride and based on the limited amount of thrashing I could get away with on the brief test drive, the handling is fine, even with the slight bit of body roll. Visually......uh.....it's okay.....certainly more aggressive than the 350Z but not nearly as clean and cohesive. It's really a shame....a few tweaks here and there and Nissan would have created something special. As it is, it's a bit odd....like they were trying just a little too hard be different. The profile seems to be the best angle.....in person, anyway.

Overall it's a very nice car but there's not enough greatness in any area for my taste.


The Z you drove did it have the 19 inch sports package?
kham25 is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
  #20  
ZZtopp
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
ZZtopp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,955
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kham25 View Post
The Z you drove did it have the 19 inch sports package?
No.
ZZtopp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test drive today....


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: