Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

370z has overheating issues on road courses

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
I see the point with Nismo but the car isn't made for the track? What's the point of it? I mean with features like SynchroRev, a 50/50 weight balance, etc one might be confused by all of this...

I understand not everyone tracks their car but not everyone who buys a Corvette tracks their car either...
your whole post makes no sense.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tware
seems like the guys who do track the car will have to take it into consideration, then you'll have to deal with Nissan dealers wanting to argue that you voided your warranty with an oil cooler.

I think a road course putting your car into limp mode is pretty extreme. I wonder how often it will happen this summer, when people head out to their favorite twisty roads. Or how well the oil holds up for people who push their car at every stoplight. I still feel like the VQ should be a no-excuses 200K+ motor in whatever platform it lives in. Hopefully Nissan feels that way too. But, sometimes you have to wonder if the marketing dept is calling the shots, not engineering. They've definitely put out some great specs for the price of the car. But there are certain compromises that arent acceptible, like a sports car that cant participate in motorsports without shutting down, if it turns out to be so..
omg, do you need a tampon?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 AM
nlzmo400r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I bought a sports car I would expect it to function at Road America without issue... maybe that's just me? Why buy a sports car that can't be used on a track? Makes as much sense as buying an SUV that can't be used offroad.
I understand your point, and I assure you the oil temp issue of hte 370z is apparent in every road car in stock form. Im sure the Z can handle mild sessions of road racing, but bottom line; its a road car, not a race car.

You only further prove my point with your SUV comment, how many SUVs are actually THAT capable off pavement? Not too many, but the ones that arent are the ones that are most comfortable on the street and also sell in the best volumes. Thats just the way it works.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by nlzmo400r
I understand your point, and I assure you the oil temp issue of hte 370z is apparent in every road car in stock form. Im sure the Z can handle mild sessions of road racing, but bottom line; its a road car, not a race car.

You only further prove my point with your SUV comment, how many SUVs are actually THAT capable off pavement? Not too many, but the ones that arent are the ones that are most comfortable on the street and also sell in the best volumes. Thats just the way it works.
I was actually reading up on the temp numbers on the Z06 forums and it appears they reach temps near that level on hot track days as well..they just don't have a system that kicks in and limits it's abilities. I am not sure if if it is the oil that is used doesn't break down as quickly or that the engine is just more tolerant?

I did kind of prove your point with the SUV thing.. of course on the other side of it if I couldn't take it offroad I would be pretty upset. Same case here IMHO.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by Motormouth
your whole post makes no sense.
I edited the orignal post..hopefully that makes more sense?

Last edited by S8ER95Z; 02-04-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
tware

Originally Posted by Motormouth
omg, do you need a tampon?
for what? Are you the Tampax regional sales rep?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
PA 19103

I don't understand what you people want. The car is made for everyday street driving, not for track use! It's not like going to over heat driving on the highway.

That's why they sell the oil cooler / Nismo option to help the cooling in case people want to track. Now if they put that in as stock and the price of the car goes up, there will be complaining about it too and people will say "why don't they take that off and sell it as an option cuz I don't track"
Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

this is the same thing that happened to the 03 track Z when it first came out too-

oil cooler, ps cooler, (potentially diff cooler) needed for heavy track usage.. this is no different from any other car that is going to the track..

270*F isnt that bad if you're on synthetic..
Old 02-05-2009, 05:30 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by Chebosto
this is the same thing that happened to the 03 track Z when it first came out too-

oil cooler, ps cooler, (potentially diff cooler) needed for heavy track usage.. this is no different from any other car that is going to the track..

270*F isnt that bad if you're on synthetic..
The issue with me isn't the temp at all.. it's the fact that if you hit those temps the car starts shutting down and you can't drive it until it cools down again.

I was just reading on the technology in play.. I understand now that if the oil is in perfect shape it cause cause failure quickly, I think I understand why they were so agressive with limiting the engine.

Last edited by S8ER95Z; 02-05-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:31 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by PA 19103
I don't understand what you people want. The car is made for everyday street driving, not for track use! It's not like going to over heat driving on the highway.

That's why they sell the oil cooler / Nismo option to help the cooling in case people want to track. Now if they put that in as stock and the price of the car goes up, there will be complaining about it too and people will say "why don't they take that off and sell it as an option cuz I don't track"
Why does it need to have expensive sticky tires then (Are those optional?)
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 AM
tranceformer95

To get the .97g skid pad numbers. More ammunition for the marketing team to sell the car.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 AM
PA 19103

Yes, that's a sports package with 19" rim and 275 rear and 245 front sticky tires. You can buy the base with 18" with 245 and 225.

I also would like to take on a different approached regarding of what I said. Perhaps, maybe just perhaps that the 370z does have this minor issue, that's why maybe it is wise to skip the first year model and wait.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
Those features are marketing tools to give Nissan one-up on other auto manufacturers. Just like the launch control on the GT-R, it's a marketing tool to impress potential buyers. Making cars track worthy isn't Nissan's #1 priority, they want to sell cars to the masses.

"oh wow it goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds!"
+1
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 AM
tlrmade

I talked to a Nissan Tech/tech trainer at the Nissan headquarters here in Franklin, TN the other day and he told me that they are going to be outfitting all the 370Zs that come into dealerships with external oil coolers to solve this problem. He also said that he is waiting until this weekend when the temps get up a little to take them out and test them. So far he said the ones that he has tested have not had any overheating issues. (prob bc of the temps right now)

Last edited by tlrmade; 02-05-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:42 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^
interesting
Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by PA 19103
Yes, that's a sports package with 19" rim and 275 rear and 245 front sticky tires. You can buy the base with 18" with 245 and 225.

I also would like to take on a different approached regarding of what I said. Perhaps, maybe just perhaps that the 370z does have this minor issue, that's why maybe it is wise to skip the first year model and wait.
Thanks for the info... Anyone know why it's a Nismo option and not a factory option? If your going to get optional upgrades that would enhance track performance (like tires) that an oil cooler would go hand in hand.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
trebien

Ah, the irony... after the 335i overheating issues that came about...

The 370Z is marketed as a sports car. I feel it's a mistake for it not to come with an oil cooler from the factory if it needs one, which it appears it does. Seriously, less than $200 per car in mass production.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a part of future sports pkg cars.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tlrmade
I talked to a Nissan Tech/tech trainer at the Nissan headquarters here in Franklin, TN the other day and he told me that they are going to be outfitting all the 370Zs that come into dealerships with external oil coolers to solve this problem. He also said that he is waiting until this weekend when the temps get up a little to take them out and test them. So far he said the ones that he has tested have not had any overheating issues. (prob bc of the temps right now)
ehh... i dunno.. sounds like to me this will be a 'nismo' or some sort of package add on that is relayed to via cost to the customer.. not something nissan will swallow up....
Old 02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by trebien

The 370Z is marketed as a sports car. I feel it's a mistake for it not to come with an oil cooler from the factory if it needs one, which it appears it does. Seriously, less than $200 per car in mass production.

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective.

This is an oversimplification but, here goes.

Multiply that $200 cost per unit by the number of units sold. Let's just say that they sell 100,000 units in 5 years. Do the math and that's $20,000,000 for something that might not have been completely necessary.

Not everyone is going to track the car. It's a Nissan, not a Ferrari. It's an 'affordable sports car' so they're going to cut costs where they can.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:56 PM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by trebien

I fail to see any irony.

Quick Reply: 370z has overheating issues on road courses