Notices
2009+ Nissan GT-R Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion

GTR transmission failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
Agreed. I seriously doubt it would have anything to do with a mechanical issue.
+1

Considering Nissan cut the production down before this news... I'd lean more towards the economy.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Driven1
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
bro, launch control is R R OFF
Nitrouz....R U laughing as hard as I am at the people trying to tell you how a car you actually own works? LOL How many people on these boards have actually had the opportunity to drive one for any significant period of time? I know I have. I've even had the opportunity to track one.

And to back you up YES...LC is a separate function from R or "race mode" as some are calling it here. And it is done how you are saying.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Driven1
Nitrouz....R U laughing as hard as I am at the people trying to tell you how a car you actually own works?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 AM
bakerb22

Included in your Nissan Owners Manual (which there are 6 of for the GT-R) is a race specific booklet with do's and don't's from Nissan. Included in this book is how to use launch mode...... Race Race, and Race. This may be where all of these idiots are blowing up there cars. Motortrend said that it was r r off, and well as top gear, both of them issued a correction in a following issue. This is how Edmunds.com messed there car up, by launching in off mode instead of race. I have driven it on the track in both race, normal and off, and when you put it in off, the car does not disengage the clutch prior to launch control, it lets it stay on the plate and burn up. In Race mode, the clutch is not engaged until you let your foot off the brake. But dont take my word for it, go pick up a GT-R for yourself and read the book. Sorry to get petty everyone, but spreading around this bad information is only going to cause more confusion about the car.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 AM
bakerb22

bro, launch control is R R OFF
Included in your Nissan Owners Manual (which there are 6 of for the GT-R) is a race specific booklet with do's and don't's from Nissan. Included in this book is how to use launch mode...... Race Race, and Race. This may be where all of these idiots are blowing up there cars. Motortrend said that it was r r off, and well as top gear, both of them issued a correction in a following issue. This is how Edmunds.com messed there car up, by launching in off mode instead of race. I have driven it on the track in both race, normal and off, and when you put it in off, the car does not disengage the clutch prior to launch control, it lets it stay on the plate and burn up. In Race mode, the clutch is not engaged until you let your foot off the brake. But dont take my word for it, go pick up a GT-R for yourself and read the book. Sorry to get petty everyone, but spreading around this bad information is only going to cause more confusion about the car.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:06 PM
M-Workz
Banned

Launch control is R R OFF manual 1st gear.

I did it in both JDM and USDM cars. I worked on both of the cars that J-Spec Connect brought in back in February. R R R would not launch the car. The revs only come up to 2500, in launch mode it is 4400. Big difference. It launches so fast you barely have time to grab second gear before you hit the rev limiter.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:34 PM
bruddahmatt

Originally Posted by bakerb22
Proof please. According to everything I've seen online and heard from owners, Nissan makes no mention of LC in ANY of their literature. And those claiming to know the proper LC sequence always state that it's R R Off for the trans (which needs to be in manual mode and 1st gear), suspension and VDC followed by your left foot on the brake, right foot on the throttle and then releasing the brake after revs have built to 4500 rpm. You're the first and so far only person to suggest that the VDC is supposed to be left in R mode during the LC sequence. You're also the first person to state that Nissan clearly outlines how to access LC in any of their literature.

Last edited by bruddahmatt; 10-10-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:26 PM
bakerb22

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
Proof please. According to everything I've seen online and heard from owners, Nissan makes no mention of LC in ANY of their literature. And those claiming to know the proper LC sequence always state that it's R R Off for the trans (which needs to be in manual mode and 1st gear), suspension and VDC followed by your left foot on the brake, right foot on the throttle and then releasing the brake after revs have built to 4500 rpm. You're the first and so far only person to suggest that the VDC is supposed to be left in R mode during the LC sequence. You're also the first person to state that Nissan clearly outlines how to access LC in any of their literature.
One of my good friends is in charge of the GT-R for NA. He provided me with all the proper literature as well as 3 GT-R's that I purchased (from a dealer, not for free) for different reasons. One I like to drive around, the other 2 are being tuned for some weekend fun (one of which is currently putting 662whp and counting due to the low boost from the factory, only 10.2, you will see it soon, its white on gray). I dont want to get in a pissing match about a launch mode guys. But rest assured that i have and currently own 3 production spec models, all of which have had the same response to launch mode. Just humor me for a minute, dont you think that there might be some connection to the amount of transmission issues in reguards to the launching in off mode vs. race mode? I would really prefer to talk more as an enthusiast than arguing about cars. All I can go off of is the information that was provided to me and my personal driving experence with these cars. And on providing this information, I would be more than happy to do that, but I do ask one thing. I will leave the person from Nissan's name on it, just make sure you REMOVE it if you happen to spread it around as a courtesy to him. Ill have him email it to me next week. With that said, lets agree to disagree for now and talk about the real issues, like 1/4 times.........
Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Vendor - Former Vendor

One of my good friends is in charge of the GT-R for NA. He provided me with all the proper literature as well as 3 GT-R's that I purchased (from a dealer, not for free) for different reasons. One I like to drive around, the other 2 are being tuned for some weekend fun (one of which is currently putting 662whp and counting due to the low boost from the factory, only 10.2, you will see it soon, its white on gray). I dont want to get in a pissing match about a launch mode guys. But rest assured that i have and currently own 3 production spec models, all of which have had the same response to launch mode. Just humor me for a minute, dont you think that there might be some connection to the amount of transmission issues in reguards to the launching in off mode vs. race mode? I would really prefer to talk more as an enthusiast than arguing about cars. All I can go off of is the information that was provided to me and my personal driving experence with these cars. And on providing this information, I would be more than happy to do that, but I do ask one thing. I will leave the person from Nissan's name on it, just make sure you REMOVE it if you happen to spread it around as a courtesy to him. Ill have him email it to me next week. With that said, lets agree to disagree for now and talk about the real issues, like 1/4 times.........

Pics or ban
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
bruddahmatt

Next week? Yah right. Obviously you're hoping that by then this thread will have died and we will have forgotten about your incorrect statements. How friggin hard is it to take a picture of the section of the manual that outlines how to put the car into LC mode? It has been stated by every single other GT-R owner that Nissan hasn't even acknowledged that launch control exists in ANY of the literature they provide to owners.

If launch control is indeed reached by setting the VDC to R, then why is the warranty voided when VDC is switched to off and not R? Duh. VDC off alone isn't going to grenade gearboxes, repeated use of LC will. Nissan doesn't care if you disable VDC, they care if you abuse the LC feature and use it too often. The reason Nissan threatens to void your warranty if you disable VDC instead of threatening to void your warranty if you engage LC is because they don't acknowledge that LC exists on the car. Wake up. VDC off is the only step to LC Nissan can get away with telling customers "hands off." No one would buy a GT-R if Nissan said "warranty may be void if suspension is put into R mode" or "if car is put into manual mode and 1st gear is selected." If LC was reached by putting the VDC into R mode instead of shutting it off, Nissan would have changed their "warranty may be void" policy to reflect this and stated that the warranty may be void if you put the VDC into R mode instead of shutting it off.

Besides, how is R mode going to provide optimum performance during a hard launch when TCS (which works in conjunction with VDC) is still partially active in said mode? If enough wheelspin is dectected even in R mode, power is cut via TCS. This would kill your 0-60 time. With VDC off TCS is also disabled and power is not cut during a launch when the wheels for an instant are searching for grip. Therefore everything is transmitted through the gearbox to the wheels. And seeing as the GT-R has an obnoxious amount of grip off the line due to the fact that it's an AWD car, none of that power is loss through excessive wheelspin (i.e. smoky burnout). Instead it power rapes the gearbox on the way from the crank to the wheels. You're wrong dude. Just admit it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your spreading false information and it's only confusing those who are trying to get clarity on the situation.

Last edited by bruddahmatt; 10-10-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM
bakerb22

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
Next week? Yah right. Obviously you're hoping that by then this thread will have died and we will have forgotten about your incorrect statements. How friggin hard is it to take a picture of the section of the manual that outlines how to put the car into LC mode? It has been stated by every single other GT-R owner that Nissan hasn't even acknowledged that launch control exists in ANY of the literature they provide to owners.

If launch control is indeed reached by setting the VDC to R, then why is the warranty voided when VDC is switched to off and not R? Duh. VDC off alone isn't going to grenade gearboxes, repeated use of LC will. Nissan doesn't care if you disable VDC, they care if you abuse the LC feature and use it too often. The reason Nissan threatens to void your warranty if you disable VDC instead of threatening to void your warranty if you engage LC is because they don't acknowledge that LC exists on the car. Wake up. VDC off is the only step to LC Nissan can get away with telling customers "hands off." No one would buy a GT-R if Nissan said "warranty may be void if suspension is put into R mode" or "if car is put into manual mode and 1st gear is selected." If LC was reached by putting the VDC into R mode instead of shutting it off, Nissan would have changed their "warranty may be void" policy to reflect this and stated that the warranty may be void if you put the VDC into R mode instead of shutting it off.

Besides, how is R mode going to provide optimum performance during a hard launch when TCS (which works in conjunction with VDC) is still partially active in said mode? If enough wheelspin is dectected even in R mode, power is cut via TCS. This would kill your 0-60 time. With VDC off, power is not cut and the brakes are not applied and everything is transmitted through the gearbox to the wheels. You're wrong dude. Just admit it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your spreading false information and it's only confusing those who are trying to get clarity on the situation.
Wow guys, I was hoping that this would be a thread to discuss, not argue all the time. I thought it would be better to have an email from a reputable guy at nissan instead of me taking a picture, but I guess I was wrong. Ill send you your crap, and I guess ill stick with strictly R35 forums since I am not welcome. Appreciate the time, good luck catching me in my GT-R if you are ever in Texas or Florida. Way to run an enthusiast off the site (over a dispute of 1 switch on a car.....).
Old 10-10-2008, 02:53 PM
bruddahmatt

Wow guys, I was hoping that this would be a thread to discuss, not argue all the time. I thought it would be better to have an email from a reputable guy at nissan instead of me taking a picture, but I guess I was wrong. Ill send you your crap, and I guess ill stick with strictly R35 forums since I am not welcome. Appreciate the time, good luck catching me in my GT-R if you are ever in Texas or Florida. Way to run an enthusiast off the site (over a dispute of 1 switch on a car.....).
What is it with people not having the ***** to admit when they're wrong on the intarweb? If you could show us proof that Nissan states that LC is accessed by switching VDC to R mode instead of disabling it, I would gladly retract my statement. Hell, I'm sure the entire GT-R community would appreciate your contribution as you'd be doing every single owner out there a favor by illustrating how to "properly" engage LC. Not to mention you'd be unearthing proof that Nissan in fact admits that such a system exists on the GT-R. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to start a thread at NAGTROC to ask if bakerb22 from my350Z is correct or incorrect in suggesting that VDC be switched to R to engage LC?

All we're saying is that if you're going to make a claim that goes against what is currently known and though to be truth, then provide evidence to support said claim. It seems odd that you'd happily skip over M-Workz and Mike's comments and only focus on part of my response. You didn't even respond to the part where I clearly explained how VDC in R mode would hinder a hard launch.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:14 PM
bakerb22

Ill give you guys one more response. now has been a few hours, and you all have demanded all of this stuff that quite frankly, i dont have the time to do nor am I in the right city to get it done right now. I do not deny that you do make valid points, but had i been extended the courtest of 3 days to get it to you guys, this whole situation may have been changed. Not important at this point. Enjoy your Z's and Subaru's and Mitsubishis, ill stick with my people.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:47 PM
bangsters

i don't post much, i just prefer viewing other posts, but i just can't help it this time....I'm calling BS on this guy...from not admitting to being wrong, all of a sudden you have 3 GTRs lol.....do us one favor, rather two.... 1st is post the manual that says there is a LC as per Nissan. 2nd post your 3 GTRs. 1 GTR i might believe you, but 3? I'm calling BS on this....

post some pics and I'll retract my comment. R R OFF as 99% says, or your 1% and R R R....

then now that you're against the wall, you'll just say you don't ahve time or any other excuse to take a snap shot...even from your camera phone....
Old 10-10-2008, 05:50 PM
shift-er

after reading all this the C6Z06 has become much more appealing
Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Driven1
Professional

Ill give you guys one more response. now has been a few hours, and you all have demanded all of this stuff that quite frankly, i dont have the time to do nor am I in the right city to get it done right now. I do not deny that you do make valid points, but had i been extended the courtest of 3 days to get it to you guys, this whole situation may have been changed. Not important at this point. Enjoy your Z's and Subaru's and Mitsubishis, ill stick with my people.
Don't get your panties in a bunch man. We're just informing you that you're wrong. The unfortunate part is you keep insisting you're right. If your buddy is telling you something different then he's wrong too..... A few of the people here (including myself) have ACTUALLY used the function with our own fingers and feet. NNA (as another said) does not acknowledge it exists. It's not in the manual.

Get it to us when you have time...you won't be changing how to actually do it.

And who would "your people" be? FYI.... MANY FI'ed Z owners have been waiting for these and are now owners (including some you're talking to in this thread).

Do us a favor and try what we're telling you and THEN tell us we're wrong. Reading can be overrated at times.

I HIGHLY doubt you own 3...and ESPECIALLY one with 662 whp. If you actually do... Who tuned it? What did they use? Have you had it running for a decent period of time? If so... What do the temps look like? Trans? Oil? Water? What additional mods have you done? I'm genuinely interested in knowing as I'd like to discuss what he's (your tuner/builder) noticed and found in comparison to what I have discussed with Trae Cobb when I was out in Salt Lake as far as areas for improvement. Feel free to PM me to not take this off topic.

Last edited by Driven1; 10-10-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, cuz I own a GTR too. And these people you're talking to, are my people.

Way to disrespect. I would eat your GTR alive with a puny 350z (ok the number might be slightly different...)
Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There seems to be a lot of confusion and wrong info in this thread, so let me try to clear a couple points here...

1. Launch control is "R R OFF", hold the brake, floor the throttle, and let off brake.

2. VDC in normal mode CUTS FUEL when tires break loose. VDC in off mode lets them spin. VDC in R mode TRANSFERS TORQUE to the front wheels to pull you out of a corner. It does not cut fuel.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:07 PM
VENOMSZ

Wow so sensitive.
I don't own a GTR yet, but I have plans on buying one in the future.
When my local dealer contacted me about buying one, I simply told them
that I'm not interested in buying for the first 3 or 4 years. I remember all the crap Z owners went through up until about 05. I bought an 06 thinking all the bugs had been ironed out, then we get the 06 oil consomption issues.
I currently have an 08 Nismo, and LOVE it, no issues at all, and superb build quality as compared to my 06 Z. I'll seriously buy a GTR when it is safe to do so. It does seem that we are going to see NNA go through the FBI deny everything process again, just like the Z's tire feathering issues.
Good luck to all you guys that own one now, and have transmission issues.
I hope than NNA will not leave you guys stuck out.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 PM
bruddahmatt

There seems to be a lot of confusion and wrong info in this thread, so let me try to clear a couple points here...

1. Launch control is "R R OFF", hold the brake, floor the throttle, and let off brake.

2. VDC in normal mode CUTS FUEL when tires break loose. VDC in off mode lets them spin. VDC in R mode TRANSFERS TORQUE to the front wheels to pull you out of a corner. It does not cut fuel.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that fuel is still cut in R mode as there is no mention of TCS being disabled and it's TCS which cuts fuel to maintain traction when slip is detected?

Someone posted this:

Under R mode it includes the portion which states "in addition to the normal mode function." Going off of the explanation for VDC in Normal mode, this should include individual brakes being applied and power being cut as TCS is still active even in R mode. There is no mention of TCS being completely disabled in R mode. The only time TCS is mentioned as being disabled is under the VDC off description. I had assumed that R mode would be akin to the Corvette's Competitive Driving mode and in addition to adjusting the front and rear torque distribution would have also raised the threshold at which TCS and VDC step in to allow for more slip and wheel spin, but I see no mention of this either. From what I can tell, VDC remains on in R mode and that includes TCS which cuts fuel when slip is detected.

Unless of course I completely missed something here?

Quick Reply: GTR transmission failure!