No more Launch Control in 2010 GTR

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more Launch Control in 2010 GTR

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/20/n...rom-2010-gt-r/

It appears that GT-R owners won't have to worry about voiding their warranties if they use Launch Control -- for the 2010 model year, the car won't come with the feature. Inside Line is quoting a Nissan exec as saying "It's gone. We just don't want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore. It'll make the 2009 GT-R really special. It'll be the only R35 with launch control."

We've previously reported cases where Nissan GT-R owners have brought their cars to the dealership with transmission trouble only to be told their warranties won't cover it. It turns out that disabling the car's VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) too often, in order to use the Launch Control function, meant Nissan wasn't covering the repairs. The cost to fix/replace the transmission is only $20,000, so you can imagine owners weren't too upset. Apparently the GT-R owner's manual states that damage to the transmission is not covered if it is proven to be the result of using Launch Control with the VDC turned off. In fact, the manual states that the only reason you should turn off VDC is to "rock" the vehicle when stuck in mud or snow. We await Nissan's revised performance numbers.
Why didn't Nissan just fix the transmission instead of disabling LC?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

WHY DIDN'T NISSAN JUST OFFERED MT IN THE FIRST PLACE
Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well... try dumping your clutch on some sticky DR's 10-20 times with your engine making 500+ hp ...

so .... good move nissan.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 AM
bruddahmatt

Originally Posted by Polo08816
Why didn't Nissan just fix the transmission instead of disabling LC?
It's not a matter of "fixing" anything. Like any gearbox, if you abuse the GR6, it'll eventually fail. LC simply accelerated the wear process on the gearbox during hard launches. Those who think they can hard launch an AWD car at high rpms over and over again and not expect any consequences were only kidding themselves.

I must say however that this does prove that Nissan is a real publicity ***** in the same way they quietly raised the price of the GT-R a whopping $7k a month or two after its US introduction just so the magazine tests published earlier would show it as being more affordable than a Z06. I'm sure the price hike was mentioned in small blurbs the following months, but I'm guessing Nissan was smart enough to realize that most people only remembered the original "cheaper than a Z06" taglines that appeared in initial reviews.

Similarly, those who aren't in the know will only remember the GT-R for it's blazingly quick 3.5 second 0-60 time which was only made possible through the use of LC. Most folks will either never notice or quickly forget that all vehicles built after the first year of production only make the run in 4.5 seconds or so.

My guess, is that maybe...MAYBE LC returns on the V-Spec. I'm guessing Nissan will be more willing to deal with a few hassles than a great deal of hassles since they only plan to sell a few V-Specs compared with the standard run in the mill GT-R. Not to mention everyone will immediately look to the V-Spec for acceleration figures over the base GT-R.

/2 cents.

On a side note, a couple of my service buddies over at Infiniti and I were joking around one day about how long it would take Nissan to remove LC after whoring it out to magazines for 0-60 figures but denying its existance to owners. Not long apparently.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Originally Posted by Tac-M
well... try dumping your clutch on some sticky DR's 10-20 times with your engine making 500+ hp ...

so .... good move nissan.
Z06 seems to be able to do it all day and still run fasters numbers than the GTR (1/4 trap speed).
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Polo08816
Banned

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
It's not a matter of "fixing" anything. Like any gearbox, if you abuse the GR6, it'll eventually fail. LC simply accelerated the wear process on the gearbox during hard launches. Those who think they can hard launch an AWD car at high rpms over and over again and not expect any consequences were only kidding themselves.

I must say however that this does prove that Nissan is a real publicity ***** in the same way they quietly raised the price of the GT-R a whopping $7k a month or two after its US introduction just so the magazine tests published earlier would show it as being more affordable than a Z06. I'm sure the price hike was mentioned in small blurbs the following months, but I'm guessing Nissan was smart enough to realize that most people only remembered the original "cheaper than a Z06" taglines that appeared in initial reviews.

Similarly, those who aren't in the know will only remember the GT-R for it's blazingly quick 3.5 second 0-60 time which was only made possible through the use of LC. Most folks will either never notice or quickly forget that all vehicles built after the first year of production only make the run in 4.5 seconds or so.

My guess, is that maybe...MAYBE LC returns on the V-Spec. I'm guessing Nissan will be more willing to deal with a few hassles than a great deal of hassles since they only plan to sell a few V-Specs compared with the standard run in the mill GT-R. Not to mention everyone will immediately look to the V-Spec for acceleration figures over the base GT-R.

/2 cents.

On a side note, a couple of my service buddies over at Infiniti and I were joking around one day about how long it would take Nissan to remove LC after whoring it out to magazines for 0-60 figures but denying its existance to owners. Not long apparently.
That's a good explanation. Do you think they'll have GTR owners bringing the car in and telling them it feels real slow and that they get wasted by other cheaper cars?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 AM
michaeljr6

zr1 > gtr
Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 AM
My350P

The GTR was never designed for drag racing or straight line acceleration. If that is what you are concerned about, get a Z06/ZR1.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 AM
UMW350Z

I don't think this was a bait and switch in any way. I don't think they did enough R&D to figure out how many launches you can do with the LC and didn't expect people to beat the car up with such frequency. Drive it on a road course all day and it's fine....violent launches in an AWD car are dangerous.....go launch a GSX, EVO, STI, etc. 20 times all out in one hour and tell me what happens.

How many road courses require hard launches? This is a road course car, not a dragstrip car. If AWD was so foolproof at the dragstrip, why aren't Top Fuel cars AWD? This all makes sense to me...the GTR will still own on a road course any day of the week

The only improvement I could suggest is failsafes to let you know when there is imminent tranny damage about to occur or has occured
Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 AM
bruddahmatt

Originally Posted by Polo08816
That's a good explanation. Do you think they'll have GTR owners bringing the car in and telling them it feels real slow and that they get wasted by other cheaper cars?
Hmm...perhaps. Even without LC the GT-R is already faster than most cars. But I could potentially see a few buyers who might be angry that their car doesn't run the same 1/4 mile time the magazines were able to muster because they're too afraid to use LC and void their own warranty on their own car. LC simply makes a hard high rpm launch possible by allowing the engine to be revved before the first clutch is engaged. On the street, most people don't resort to high rpm clutch dumps. If anything a 5-60 mph time is a more accurate representation of what goes on on the street and I'm sure in that regard, the majority of owners will be satisfied. At least they better be in Nissan's case.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
zr1 > gtr
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by bruddahmatt
Hmm...perhaps. Even without LC the GT-R is already faster than most cars. But I could potentially see a few buyers who might be angry that their car doesn't run the same 1/4 mile time the magazines were able to muster because they're too afraid to use LC and void their own warranty on their own car. LC simply makes a hard high rpm launch possible by allowing the engine to be revved before the first clutch is engaged. On the street, most people don't resort to high rpm clutch dumps. If anything a 5-60 mph time is a more accurate representation of what goes on on the street and I'm sure in that regard, the majority of owners will be satisfied. At least they better be in Nissan's case.
Local GT-R here ran 11.6@120 without LC.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:40 AM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by My350P
The GTR was never designed for drag racing or straight line acceleration. If that is what you are concerned about, get a Z06/ZR1.
The Z06/ZR1 can do both drag racing & circuit tracks without a problem.

The GTR needs a true manual transmission. It's alot more fun than a high-tech automatic without much of the issues.

Without launch control, they really don't have much to brag about to the typical consumer; sadly, most people don't know or care about lap times. They believe 0-60 is indicative of everything

Last edited by skaterbasist; 11-20-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 AM
michaeljr6

Originally Posted by My350P
zr1 is faster in the nurburgring.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
The Z06/ZR1 can do both drag racing & circuit tracks without a problem.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by blasian

What is this picture suppose to prove?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:48 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
What is this picture suppose to prove?
You said the Z06 can drag race without a problem
Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 AM
UMW350Z

PWNED!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 AM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by blasian
You said the Z06 can drag race without a problem
Ofcourse, that was speaking in general. They are tough cars that don't have many issues on the track. Porsches and Corvettes are king of that.

I didn't mean to imply that every Z06/ZR1 (or any car in existence) ever produced will be 100% issue free.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 AM
blasian

I know

That's his 2nd rear end he's blown I believe.

Quick Reply: No more Launch Control in 2010 GTR