Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

sob story- aka "beware mods"

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 06:13 PM
srmd22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sob story- aka "beware mods"

I bought my 04 LS ZR about a year ago today. One of the first things I did was go to SOUND ADVICE, in Tampa, to get a new Amp/radio/sub installed. I thought they did a pretty good job, but check this out! About a few weeks later I went to open my trunk and I heard a clicking noise, quite loud. So I closed it, again the noise. I walked outsid and saw that there was a big paint chip where the boot opens to receive the top. It was banging into the edge of the trunk! I had no idea why this was happening! In addition, the trunk was no longer even with the boot.

I brought the car to the Nissan dealer. They checked it out, and found that the bolts holding the boot to the trunk space/retracting mechanism had been loosened (there were telltale marks) and not tighted all the way. Obviously the stupid tech at SOUND ADVICE had effed this up. Once they tightened it up, the trunk worked fine. But they had to remove a couple of the factory installed shims to get it to line up correctly (see old posts for why these shims exist, if you are curious).

I was so angry, that I did not trust myself to even talk to Sound Advice peeps without losing my temper, and I have still not informed them. I did find out that this super retarded tech had since moved on. I thought that at least the rest of the install was ok, until a month or two ago I noticed a rattle. The spacer that fits below the stereo face plate turned out to be the source. If I shove my hand it it and apply pressure, it stops the rattling.

In perspective, the damage is not terrible. I will get around to patching the paint chip myself, eventually, and it is not too noticeable (though not hard to see if you look for it-- I'll post some pics tomorrow). The stereo sounds great, the subs were skillfully installed (in the area behind the drivers seat). I am interested to see what people feel about this, and what they would do, or would have done.

And has anyone else been rooked by SOUND ADVICE, in Tampa or anywhere else?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

I never go near that place...they are WAY overpriced! And unlike a local shop they won't work with you on the price.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:28 PM
350fanatic

that sucks
Old 12-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i admire your restraint, but clearly they need to make things right.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

I would of drivin my car right thru the front door and right to the back of the store. LOL
Old 12-29-2004, 07:59 PM
boldenmd

This is why I've been living with the crappy standard stereo. You need to cloud up and rain all over these guys.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:36 AM
srmd22

Originally posted by Santacruzslick
I never go near that place...they are WAY overpriced! And unlike a local shop they won't work with you on the price.
I should have posted asking about their service before I used 'em. Ah, well, live and learn.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:41 AM
350zRoadster04

Any pics of your sub install?

Originally posted by srmd22
I should have posted asking about their service before I used 'em. Ah, well, live and learn.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:16 PM
RANDY350Z

It is kind of hard now to go back and complain, but try it since it has been awhile. I usuall will check my car out either that same day or the next and then go back if you need to. On my S2000, I had an Alpine system installed, and the drivers side kick plate got damaged, the next few days I sam it in the light because there was a gap and I have taken my interior apart before so I new this was not normal. Anyway, I showed up and showed them the damage and they cut a check for that piece and another. Cost them 100.00 ( I had the parts ordered online and overnighted because i was going to an S2000 meet! But they took care of it . The only thing that pissed me off was that the tech screwed it up and tried to cover it up by super glueing or something and the glue didn't hold so it showed up in the next few days. I would have preferred them to have just told me instead of trying to push it thru.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Built2shredZ

Unless your using a shop like West Coast Customs, your better off installing the stuff yourself... Most of the shops will jack up your car installing the equipment and your car will never be the same.. you should be able to get enough info on the web to install your own equipment.... just do a lot of research before doing it..
Old 01-01-2005, 02:04 PM
ZBoater

Next time check out Divine Sounds on the corner of Waters and Dale Mabry. Those guys know what they are doing...
Old 01-11-2005, 08:12 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just goes to show, If you want something done right, You have to do it yourself.