Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Wow! Six years already.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Zeenut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow! Six years already.

Every year about this time I like to give an annual update on my 2004 Roadster.

I took delivery of the roadster in January, 2004. I wanted a convertible that would be as reliable as my old '93 Miata (my best friend has it today and it is still perfect after a new top) but had more power, more safety features and accessories. You can go back and read the past posts for all the historical stuff. The Z is still stock except for the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS tires which I put on two years ago. I still am very much impressed with these tires, especially in rain conditions. The car has been uber-reliable and I have had no problems or trips to the shop (other than standard maintenance) in the last four years. Of course it doesn't have that many miles on it (35,996) since it is my weekend driver and after-work cruiser so it has hardly been put to the test like an every day driver. I have developed a small rattle around the 3-pack instrument gauges but it hasn't bothered me enough to fix it even though I could do so easily. I still use Mobil One exclusively and there has been no oil consumption between the 5000 mile oil changes. Everything still looks brand new except for some road rash that I am collecting on the lower front bumper because I keep forgetting that the front end sticks out further than my other cars. No problems with the top but I caution anyone that has an aging Z to periodically run your hand between the top and the support bars looking for any rough spots or screw/rivet heads. I have found that the protective tape covering certain areas of the support bars eventually fall off and, if allowed to remain that way, a wear spot and potential hole will develop. I just use the adhesive-backed felt side of a velcro strip to replace the lost tape and this seems to be working fine for now. You don't want anything that is too thick or you can create a wear spot. I still regularly Vinylex the top to keep it pliable even though the car is garaged and generally top-down when taken out. I still like the way that two 22" carry-on bags fit perfectly in the trunk with space for two other small items plus a garment bag (wife's). I also have two golf stand bags that just fit in the trunk so my buddy and I can take the Z to some of our mountain courses. I will probably have to put in a new battery sometime this year but other than that the Z Roadster has delivered exactly as I had hoped. See you next year!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by Zeenut

I took delivery of the roadster in January, 2004. See you next year!
Six years and 46 posts later ... Nice to see you're still loving it.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM
350zfan1

Keep up the good work OP .
Old 01-05-2010, 01:15 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I took delivery of the roadster in January, 2004. I wanted a convertible that would be as reliable as my old '93 Miata (my best friend has it today and it is still perfect after a new top) but had more power, more safety features and accessories. You can go back and read the past posts for all the historical stuff. The Z is still stock except for the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS tires which I put on two years ago. I still am very much impressed with these tires, especially in rain conditions. The car has been uber-reliable and I have had no problems or trips to the shop (other than standard maintenance) in the last four years. Of course it doesn't have that many miles on it (35,996) since it is my weekend driver and after-work cruiser so it has hardly been put to the test like an every day driver. I have developed a small rattle around the 3-pack instrument gauges but it hasn't bothered me enough to fix it even though I could do so easily. I still use Mobil One exclusively and there has been no oil consumption between the 5000 mile oil changes. Everything still looks brand new except for some road rash that I am collecting on the lower front bumper because I keep forgetting that the front end sticks out further than my other cars. No problems with the top but I caution anyone that has an aging Z to periodically run your hand between the top and the support bars looking for any rough spots or screw/rivet heads. I have found that the protective tape covering certain areas of the support bars eventually fall off and, if allowed to remain that way, a wear spot and potential hole will develop. I just use the adhesive-backed felt side of a velcro strip to replace the lost tape and this seems to be working fine for now. You don't want anything that is too thick or you can create a wear spot. I still regularly Vinylex the top to keep it pliable even though the car is garaged and generally top-down when taken out. I still like the way that two 22" carry-on bags fit perfectly in the trunk with space for two other small items plus a garment bag (wife's). I also have two golf stand bags that just fit in the trunk so my buddy and I can take the Z to some of our mountain courses. I will probably have to put in a new battery sometime this year but other than that the Z Roadster has delivered exactly as I had hoped. See you next year!
Congrats & Good Luck!
Six years at the end of May for me....My problem was the AC & replacing the top while still under warranty....I also expect the battery to go too!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Blooster

Happy Anniversary, thanks for the update, and I wish you continued enjoyment!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
duro78

everyone knocks them but the miata is one of the most enjoyable cars to drive bar none. Its the closest thing to the small rear wheel european cars of back in the day. Will be looking for one soon for autocross
Old 01-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Globalscan

My 05 just turned 40k and I too have had great luck! other than a small tear in the top she is running great. Thanks for the update
Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 PM
antthanee

Glad your loving the Z!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
cubs4worldseris

Wonderful!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:05 PM
orangeflash

refreshing post... i would love to have a zr
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Blooster

No problems with the top but I caution anyone that has an aging Z to periodically run your hand between the top and the support bars looking for any rough spots or screw/rivet heads. I have found that the protective tape covering certain areas of the support bars eventually fall off and, if allowed to remain that way, a wear spot and potential hole will develop. I just use the adhesive-backed felt side of a velcro strip to replace the lost tape and this seems to be working fine for now. You don't want anything that is too thick or you can create a wear spot.
This is also an interesting idea. Never did this before, but makes sense.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
CaliBoy

im not surprised at all, i think the Z is one of the most reliable cars on the road.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:57 AM
ohw

Thank you OP for the update and keeping us informed. Took delivery of mine in Apr of 2004. It's a Canadian car and has < 30,000km on the clock (under 20,000 miles). It is not a DD and I don't drive it in the winter. It too has been a great car and I left it completely stock. Had the top replaced due to the tear in the back corner and had 2 new front tires/alignment due to feathering when it was about 10,000 miles, both under warranty. Other than that, the car has been wonderful, and I certainly enjoy driving it every time.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Refreshing post..........

we need pics......

-J
Old 02-15-2010, 01:10 PM
maxpowers

Congrats on the anniversary. I was at about 5 years when I moved on to a new ride. As the spring rolls around, I am sure I'll miss dropping the top...
Old 02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mileage?!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:40 PM
fonz1350z

Default the z is great

congragts on the aniversary i feel the same way about my z