Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

WTH just happened ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
RewiredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down WTH just happened ...

So I go to the ER yesterday and leave my 03 roadster parked in the lot. Made sure the lights were turned off and all that jazz. Come outside 3 hours later and my key fob won't work. No biggie, I figure the battery is dying. Manually get into the car, push the clutch in, and try to turn the engine over. Everything lights up like normal for about a second then just turns off ... Ok, maybe I left the lights on. double check everything and nothing was on. Take the keys out, and try it again. Nothing. Take the keys out of the ignition, again, and see if i can lock the car from the fob. Nothing. I figure my battery died somehow, so I get out of the car, and start to walk away, when I think why not, turn around and try the fob one more time. Lights flash and locks. Unlock it, with the fob, try to turn it on and, voila, starts right up like nothing happened. Everything looks normal until the HU turns all the way on and notice that it's back to factory default. the trip meter under the odometer reset. AVG MPH and MPG reset. Tested the battery when I got home, and everything is fine. Terminals aren't loose and the connections were fine. No problem like it since. Aliens.

Anyone heard of this or had something like this happen? I haven't touched the electrical system other than replacing the HU so I'm not sure if it could be a short, or something that can come back and really bite me where it hurts.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like the anti-theft system having some fun with you IMO.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:17 PM
dvsone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your cars a transformer... check the VIN! In all seriousness thats crazy! Sounds like something security system related.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

read title ran my cursor across thread and read went to ER and....

Well I got fooled. This thread blows
Old 05-23-2012, 05:29 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Are you sure your Roadster is an '03? I didn't think they started making Roadsters until the 2004 model year.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 PM
RewiredZ

yea it's an '04 roadster. mistype.
and the best response goes to .... *drum roll*
2004black350Z!!!!
read his response and that fixed everything. thanks man!
security system huh? sounds like theres not much I can do unless it comes back again and if it does, I'll make sure to just pm 04black instead of creating a brand new thread.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like an intermittent open connection somewhere, electrical gremlins can be the worst to track down, but I would start with the main + and - terminals and work back, making sure they aren't crimped, cut or loose. Also check the main connectors to the ECU and fuse blocks to make sure they aren't coming loose.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 PM
juanl1999

Originally Posted by RewiredZ
So I go to the ER yesterday and leave my 03 roadster parked in the lot. Made sure the lights were turned off and all that jazz. Come outside 3 hours later and my key fob won't work. No biggie, I figure the battery is dying. Manually get into the car, push the clutch in, and try to turn the engine over. Everything lights up like normal for about a second then just turns off ... Ok, maybe I left the lights on. double check everything and nothing was on. Take the keys out, and try it again. Nothing. Take the keys out of the ignition, again, and see if i can lock the car from the fob. Nothing. I figure my battery died somehow, so I get out of the car, and start to walk away, when I think why not, turn around and try the fob one more time. Lights flash and locks. Unlock it, with the fob, try to turn it on and, voila, starts right up like nothing happened. Everything looks normal until the HU turns all the way on and notice that it's back to factory default. the trip meter under the odometer reset. AVG MPH and MPG reset. Tested the battery when I got home, and everything is fine. Terminals aren't loose and the connections were fine. No problem like it since. Aliens.

Anyone heard of this or had something like this happen? I haven't touched the electrical system other than replacing the HU so I'm not sure if it could be a short, or something that can come back and really bite me where it hurts.
I had something similar happen to me. The issue was a loose connection on the battery cable. Well actually the connection between the the battery terminal and cable was oxidized. Car opened with fob, tried turning it on and everything electrical shut off. Not even a click. Opened the hood to get a jump and I left my drivers side door open. As I placed my finger on the terminal with the slightest pressure, everything electrical came back on, car beeps because the doors are open and everything is reset like when you disconnect the battery. So I took a wire brush and cleaned terminal and connections.

Also check how old your battery is. Is it the original battery from the factory? My 350Z Roadster was a 2004 and the battery has a 5 year warranty and it died like 3 months ago after 8 years, well past its warranty life.

I know this is a long answer but there is a logical explanation to what happened to you instead of electrical gnomes. My battery cables were very secure so I didn't think it was a contact issue between the cable and terminal but as soon as I touched the cable it was apperant to me that there wasn't enough contact.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 PM
bluelineshooter

I nearby nuclear explosion will temperarily knock out electronics. Did you see any mushroom clouds moments before?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 PM
installation

Same with above, I had a loose battery cable that once in a while would do this to me. I tightened her down, problem solved.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 AM
SLId3W4YS 89

Originally Posted by bluelineshooter
I nearby nuclear explosion will temperarily knock out electronics. Did you see any mushroom clouds moments before?

those EMP's will do it every time, dang bombs and accidents at power plants
Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Check battery terminals... I had one go loose once on me!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aliens.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM
realist alive

you have a loose connection at the terminal, this has happened to me with my old tacoma even with it tightened down all the way. your car reset because it was off for a long time, and you getting in and out of the car was probably enough of a jolt to re establish a connection. this will most likely be a reoccurring problem, just pop the hood jiggle the connection and your good to go
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Loose battery cable check em both. Happened to me when the battery tie down came loose.