Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

2006 350z Roadster roof issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 02:51 PM
Faiznoorani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 350z Roadster roof issues

Hello everyone!! I just got a 2006 roadster and I'm new to this community. I noticed my elastic bands on the roof are worn out and the roof mechanism isn't closing properly once it tries to fold back and close. I can put the roof up without any issue but when I put the top down there seems to be a problem. Does anyone know a fix for this?
Here's a video to explain it better: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1it4...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Faiznoorani; 02-05-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:10 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,057 Likes on 6,522 Posts

might want to read, the car has been out for 15 years, almost everything has been covered in the sub forum you posted in
Old 02-05-2021, 03:14 PM
Faiznoorani

Will do, thanks!
Old 02-05-2021, 08:13 PM
Faiznoorani

Update: Definitely not the 5th bow motor. I suspect it's the elastic bands but would love a second opinion on what the problem is.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:14 AM
Randy Day

I went to the fabric store and bought some black two inch wide elastic material, maybe the package was 36 inches in length. Then I bought some velcro. Measured the length I needed to wrap the two bars together that the old failed elastic with double strength new elastic, fairly tight when connected with the velcro. Cut the elastic, sewed in ends together making double strength, sewed on the velcro appropriately on the ends. I use the two pieces, one on each side, when I bring the top down. Thread over the bars then under and connect with velcro so it is tight. Take them off when not being used. This has worked GREAT! Only take the top down when the top has warmed to 65 degrees and higher.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:25 AM
Faiznoorani

Originally Posted by Randy Day
I went to the fabric store and bought some black two inch wide elastic material, maybe the package was 36 inches in length. Then I bought some velcro. Measured the length I needed to wrap the two bars together that the old failed elastic with double strength new elastic, fairly tight when connected with the velcro. Cut the elastic, sewed in ends together making double strength, sewed on the velcro appropriately on the ends. I use the two pieces, one on each side, when I bring the top down. Thread over the bars then under and connect with velcro so it is tight. Take them off when not being used. This has worked GREAT! Only take the top down when the top has warmed to 65 degrees and higher.
Thank you for the advice!! I replaced the elastic bands just last week. It works better now but not fully yet. I discovered that the problem is the metal bar holding the roof in place. It was too crooked at one point. After partially straightening it out it started going down with no problem. The only issue is I have to pull the bar a bit and bend it by hand in order for it to work. Any idea how to fix that? Thanks
Old 03-02-2021, 09:58 AM
Randy Day

Not really. I would have to be there to look at it, etc. Just keep looking at it and thinking about it. You will either think of something to do or not. Good Luck
Old 03-02-2021, 10:13 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,057 Likes on 6,522 Posts

Originally Posted by Faiznoorani
Thank you for the advice!! I replaced the elastic bands just last week. It works better now but not fully yet. I discovered that the problem is the metal bar holding the roof in place. It was too crooked at one point. After partially straightening it out it started going down with no problem. The only issue is I have to pull the bar a bit and bend it by hand in order for it to work. Any idea how to fix that? Thanks

my guess would be that the frame is bent some, not a cheap replacement
Old 04-07-2022, 05:34 AM
Justang99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
my guess would be that the frame is bent some, not a cheap replacement
I know this is the case with mine. I was in an accident that pushed the passengers side back slightly. My guess would be less than 1/2”. Any ideas on cost of minor frame straightening? Could they put it on a rack and and skew it back roughly square? Thanks
Old 04-07-2022, 08:17 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,066 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Justang99
I know this is the case with mine. I was in an accident that pushed the passengers side back slightly. My guess would be less than 1/2”. Any ideas on cost of minor frame straightening? Could they put it on a rack and and skew it back roughly square? Thanks
I think Trav was referring to the frame of the convertible top being bent. Not the actual body frame from an accident.

​​​​​​​As far as your question - call a body shop that straightens frames. I'm guessing it's going to be cost-prohibitive.