Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Help me haggle for Enthusiast Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:06 AM
AtlGrl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me haggle for Enthusiast Roadster

The only thing I have to have on my Enthusiast Roadster is automatic transmission. I'm flexible on color, etc. I see from kbb.com that invoice is $32,762, with MSRP at $35,380 (these include the destination charge). So if I go shopping and see a bare-bones (or close) model, is the best strategy to start by low-balling at $32,800 and then work up from there? What price should I aim for, maybe $33,500? There is a decent supply of roadsters in my area (metro Atlanta) and the cars have now been out for what, 8 months? What you ya'll think?
Old 03-19-2004, 07:15 AM
bixby

You can start at 32,800 & see what they come back with but you may just get laughed at. The question is what are you willing to pay and how badly does the dealer want to sell a car. I bought my 03 touring pretty close to the same timing (out in 8/02 bought in 5/03) & I got it for 1000 under MSRP plus a cover, bra, all matts and a seat back organizer. None are expensive items but it all adds up. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:50 AM
adidaskobe

I got mine for 1k under MSRP as well but here in southern california. I don't know the demand in georgia but i hear from others in cold climate areas of east/midwest that winter time was a real good time to buy. Edmunds.com has a true market value assessment but i don't know how accurate that is. You might want to post on the southeast local forum and ask what others have paid.

As previous post alluded to, it never hurts to low ball them if you can take what they say back to you. Will probably depend on how much time/work you want to put into it and what it's worth to you. I have a busy job so went with the no haggle 1k under MSRP from Ken/Jeff at Performance Nissan. Got exactly the color options i wanted, fresh off the trunk/no test drive by others. Good luck, you wont' be disappointed once you get it.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:53 AM
adidaskobe

ATLgrl

I forgot one other thing. I recall someone telling me that enthusiast roadsters are easier to get than touring roadsters. Seems like the type of buyers who get the roadsters want it all decked out usually. I went with the enthus roadster and used the money saved for two tone leather seats and new head unit, mp3 player.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:28 AM
sparkman

A lot of it depends on what/if you are trading in on the car. If they think they can make it up on the trade they'll come off the price. So, if you are trading-in, start off on the trade and negotiate only the trade-in price. Tell them you can't buy unless you get X for your trade. Once you get them to WRITE a price ON PAPER for your trade (writing down is very important because then you can bring that back out later), then start on the price of the vehicle. If you aren't trading in, then nevermind that.

The other thing that can help is to walk in with your own financing ready to go. If you can buy the car from them on the spot, they'll usually come down a bit as well. Having cash is even better, but who can do that?

I bought an '04 touring roadster with every option but the nav for about 800 under MSRP in February, to give you a mark.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Richardew

The other thing that can help is to walk in with your own financing ready to go. If you can buy the car from them on the spot, they'll usually come down a bit as well. Having cash is even better, but who can do that?
I disagree. The dealers make money when you finance through them. They are more than happy to assist you with the financing. I paid cash for mine and they still tried to hook me up with financing (at a great rate) through them with a local bank.
When I was shopping for mine in the fall, a number of dealers were getting a premium for the car. I thought that MSRP was a fair price. Turns out my cousin has a friend who owns a Nissan dealership and they gave me $1000 off. Another dealer, who was going to sell me the car at MSRP, then also offered me $1000 off. You're in a large metropolitan area, so there should be roadsters available and some competition. You can start by getting a price from some of the forum's sponsers. They seem to be fair. Then you can see if the local dealers will beat or match the price. If you have a trade in, keep that as a separate issue. Like adidaskobe pointed out, they love to play games with the 2 prices. If you have a trade in, do your homework and know what it is worth. You have online resources like kbb and edmonds, cars for sale at cars.com etc, and then see what some of the local dealers value your trade at.
Good luck
rich
'03 FX 45 w/tech, Black/Brick
'96 911 C4 Cab, Iris Blue/Marble/Marble
'04 350 ZR 6MT, SS/BO w/18's & NAV
Old 03-20-2004, 09:24 AM
adidaskobe

I occasionally browse ebay for 350z parts for my roadster.
Came across this. Looks like a new enthus roadster chrome silver, 8 miles. Not sure how close you are to Buford, GA but here is the link. There is no reserve on the auction and bidding starts at 10000. If the car checks out ok, nothing wrong and you're serious about buying, might consider putting in a bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2468423633
Old 03-20-2004, 09:40 AM
jackie chan

Take a trip to disney world and pick one up here...seriously I love the internet sales thing. I have to root through a lot of bs inquiries, but my customers of late have been some of my favorite in my 6 years selling cars and the pricing is very fair. Give the web a try.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:17 AM
AtlGrl

Thanks for your comments guys. Wow, that auction is cool - good catch on that - thanks for passing along. Buford is not that far - may just have to put a bid in.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:35 PM
KingofScion

I do internet auto Sales for a living.
I am the car business so I bought my 04 Roadster at invoice,
With no options Roadsters have 8% mark up.

What I would do is make up a name and creat a new email address and get that to email you a prie quote (vist their webpage), then get their local compeition to give you an EMAIL quote. See how competitive they are.

Right now Sienna are hot, I wouldn't sell a Sienna at invoice, but I would do 5% over invoice, but I would Sell a Camry at 2% under invoice also!

Honestly, price is about one thing... supply and demand.
Going over the sales persons head is effect, altho disrespectful. Call his manager up tell him you feel you need a better price.

If you're about whats instock, I firmly believe that negociating on the "11th hour" on the last day of hte month is in a customer benefit. (dealer trying to hit a volume bonus)

1) Kbb.com is always wrong, doesn't include destination and others. kbb.com sucks
2) edmunds.com is usually accurate but shows TMV pricing to AT
MSRP

Are you axious? if you can take a car in stock they'll be happier.

Infact email me here, and I will give you some specific advice.

Hey Guys, it's not wrong for a dealer to make a profit, but it's wrong for a dealer not to be open about the information.