Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Suggestions needed for Track Wheels on 350Z Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009 | 07:17 AM
mekatoka

Default Suggestions needed for Track Wheels on 350Z Nismo

I have a 2008 350Z Nismo and have recently started tracking my car and have a lot of fun with it. However, I have been realizing that tires don't last very long and are the most expensive part when it comes to going to the track. I have replaced the stock tires with Potenza RE-11 and they have awesome grip but just after 6 track days the tires have an outer loop that's wearing fast. I wanted to go through atleast one set of street tires before moving to R-compounds to learn the slide the proper way. So, I am now looking for R-compound tires and wheels for them.

I am planning on getting a dedicated set of track wheels so that I can run R-compound tires. My plan to reduce the tire cost is to buy used R-compounds that were used by race teams for qualifying. Following are my questions

1. What are the most common sizes of the used track tires sold ?
2. What wheels will match these tires?

I am thinking 18" all around would be a good idea but I need some suggestions

Thanks
Deepu
Old 08-11-2009 | 09:48 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Enkei RPF1's buddy!

Here ya go, pics on a Nismo just for you!

EDIT: BTW, he built his Nismo for tracking and does so regularly. They are 17's, iirc.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 08-11-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2009 | 10:04 AM
mekatoka

Did he have any problems with the traction control kicking in and stuff? Pardon my questions but I am new to this and have read that when tires/wheels are changed and if the system has not been recalibrated the traction control / VDC can kick in most of the time.
Old 08-11-2009 | 10:19 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mekatoka
Did he have any problems with the traction control kicking in and stuff? Pardon my questions but I am new to this and have read that when tires/wheels are changed and if the system has not been recalibrated the traction control / VDC can kick in most of the time.
Most run with the VDC in the off position during tracking to allow the car to rotate, etc. You have a good approach - applauds are due, however, there are a lot of used tires for sale. Some from race teams, some from Time Attacks, etc. If you get true race team take-offs, you'll need a solution to getting the set to the track versus driving on them. Just something else to think about.

Personally, I chose to run 17" wheels because of the low cost of 17" tires. If you haven't looked, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the prices of 275/40/17 track tires (there are many). You could run those on 17x9, 17x9.5, or 17x10 wheels, which will also be a bunch cheaper than their 18" counterparts. I started on the intro Kumho Victoracer tire, which were great bang-for-buck. Not only does that allow you to rotate them, but most can be flipped in/out as well (tire/weather dependent). Sure you can dabble with 18s, which may offer more tire size options (like 285/30/18 all around, also able to rotate), but at a cost.

Good luck, and be sure to post up what you end up with and your track experiences on the stickies!
Old 08-11-2009 | 11:08 AM
thekinn

I have also heard Enkei's are a good pick based on what people say and weight.

What's your budget? What's you goal? How are you going to get a second set of wheels to the track?

Last edited by thekinn; 08-11-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-11-2009 | 11:48 AM
mekatoka

I would not mind using 17"'s all around. The cheaper the better.

I am only worried if they will clear my brakes. But then GeauxLadyZ seems to remember that his friend with a 350Z Nismo used 17".

Regarding the question on getting the wheels to the track. I am thinking that I might eventually buy a trailer. I don't like that idea but I don't think the Z can fit 4 (17") wheels in the trunk and the passenger seat

The Nismo does not have a VDC button, it does have a TCS that I recently started turning off. So I am assuming the VDC stays on all the time. Will it not cause a problem for me when I change the tires?
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:58 PM
GeauxLadyZ

I am only worried if they will clear my brakes. But then GeauxLadyZ seems to remember that his friend with a 350Z Nismo used 17".

Regarding the question on getting the wheels to the track. I am thinking that I might eventually buy a trailer. I don't like that idea but I don't think the Z can fit 4 (17") wheels in the trunk and the passenger seat

The Nismo does not have a VDC button, it does have a TCS that I recently started turning off. So I am assuming the VDC stays on all the time. Will it not cause a problem for me when I change the tires?

Negative buddy, turning off the TCS will disable VDC (its the same thing). Your free to burn out as much as you like with that turned off!

As for the guy with the Nismo, hes another Z here in Houston, ive seen his car a few times. Im 99.9% sure they are 17's, by look and for the reason that he built his Z for the track, so like Scott says, 17's are the optimal choice for track not only for weight purposes, but overall cost, and cheaper tires as well.

The 17's should clear the Brembos just fine. I pmed you his s/n, so im sure he'll help you out with whatever ?'s you may have for building your Nismo to tackle the track.

G/L buddy, and although u are new, its obvious you already know a hell of alot more than many new folks on this forum.
Old 08-11-2009 | 01:12 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Heres another pic of his ride for u:

Who says 17" track wheels have to look bad?
Old 08-11-2009 | 01:13 PM
mekatoka

Thank you I have sent him a PM.

Has anybody purchased from the following site, they sell used race rubber
http://www.jbracingtires.net/

Typically how much do the used race tires in 17" cost?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a certain brand. I am guessing for a newbie like me it doesn't matter what brand it is and that I can buy the cheaper ones.

I do not need to have the best equipment to begin with because I am sure there is a lot to be improved on my end as a driver. So any money I save on equipment can be used towards more track/seat time.

Last edited by mekatoka; 08-11-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2009 | 01:16 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by thekinn
I have also heard Enkei's are a good pick based on what people say and weight.

What's your budget? What's you goal? How are you going to get a second set of wheels to the track?
I haven't decided on a budget but I am guessing under a grand should be good. I am hoping my current set would last me this year ~ atleast another 6 track days.
Old 08-11-2009 | 01:59 PM
Ataru074

http://picasaweb.google.com/matteo.i...eat=directlink

here we go all the pictures you need.
they are enkei rpf1 17*9.5 offset +18...

this offset if PERFECT if you have front camber arms and can dial some negative camber. I got 255/40F and 275/40R in this set.. but I can fit 275/40 all around or 275/40F 285/40R...
no issue with TCS in general... but I keep it turned off most of the time because fight with my differential and I like to be in control.

my reason was exactly the same... under 1K for the wheels (shipped / taxed whatever), lightweight (around 17lbs each) and dirty cheap tires (700$ a set installed of kumho XS or 800$ nitto NT01 from one of our sponsors)....

on the track they work pretty well... probably hoosiers in 285/30R18 are fantastic... but I'm not enough skilled and I don't have enough money to handle the hoosier deal (I can only imagine which kind of accelerated wear you put on suspension parts and the frame with that kind of grip)
Old 08-11-2009 | 02:05 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Damn, i was looking for a good side pic of your Nismo, but all i could find were the half front shots from the Coffee meets here.

And because you humble self was taking the pics, so your car was left out alot.
Old 08-11-2009 | 02:13 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Aren't they the same Brembos as came on the track models? If so, the 17s fit without issue.

You can fit 4 wheels into the car, but it's less than comfortable. That involves having two in the passenger seat, which I have done in a pinch, but recently bought and installed a hitch. That, or you can drive on the tires (just not real race tires or even Hoosier R3S0X tires). You could drive to the track on the following (with rough pricing per tire for 275/40/17s):

Kumho Ecsta XS: $156
Kumho Victoracer V700: $203
Nitto NT05: $171
Nitto NT01: $207
Falken Azenis RT615: $148

Last edited by scotts300; 08-11-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2009 | 02:52 PM
mekatoka

Originally Posted by Ataru074
[url]https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/wheels-and-tires/

this offset if PERFECT if you have front camber arms and can dial some negative camber. I got 255/40F and 275/40R in this set.. but I can fit 275/40 all around or 275/40F 285/40R...
no issue with TCS in general... but I keep it turned off most of the time because fight with my differential and I like to be in control.

on the track they work pretty well... probably hoosiers in 285/30R18 are fantastic... but I'm not enough skilled and I don't have enough money to handle the hoosier deal (I can only imagine which kind of accelerated wear you put on suspension parts and the frame with that kind of grip)
Like I said before I know very little about cars, still learning I recently learnt/read what camber/toe mean. Now, the camber arms that you are referring to are they stock? Or is that an aftermarket piece you installed?

I do not plan to spend on any aftermarket parts except for the wearable parts like tires, brakes, suspension parts replacement etc. I want to spend all on seat time only. I also want to drive my car on streets some times, to take the wife out So, I do not plan to have any aggressive camber/toe settings for the track. For now, I am very happy the way the car handles and with my lap timings. They are very good in stock form compared to other folks so I don't need any changes there.

Now keeping all of that in mind, as a general rule of thumb.... more rubber equates to more grip, Correct? So, would I benefit by going the widest I can fit on the same wheels + offset combination you mentioned?

Last edited by mekatoka; 08-11-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2009 | 03:28 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Correct, the wider the tire the better grip, but if you go too wide your gonna decrease handling (mainly the fronts), also, be careful not to fit too wide of a tire on a certain rim, just because it will fit doesnt mean that it is safe...esp on the track.

And yes, he is referring to aftermarket front camber arms, which you only would need if you had an extreme drop on the car or to dial in extra negative camber. Dont worry about all that, just focus on tires (type/fittment/brand) and rims (type/brand/offsets/sizes).

The Nismo is about as track ready as your gonna get from the factory.
Old 08-11-2009 | 07:26 PM
Sonic1

Thumbs up

I'm shopping for rims/tires for my 04 350Z track. I was looking at TR MT1's 18X10's all around. They are light and cheap. I ran the RPF1's on my previous TT car with good results.
Old 08-12-2009 | 04:39 AM
mekatoka

I just checked the wheels on Tirerack and it does not list 17" wheels for Nismo, it only gives me options for 18". I am assuming they are doing that as it is not the recommended size.

The following article from Tirerack scares the hell out of me
ARTICLE
It says that they show the recommended sizes after extensive testing of various parts.

Now, I have decided that I want to go with 17"s like Ataru074 but how do I know which offset and tire sizes are safe for front / back on a track. I have seen sticky threads that explain me how to check the variance between front and back tires circumference. But none tell me what's safe or not.

Also, I understand that an offset changes when I change the size of the wheels. In other words the offset that I had on my stock wheels (18" Fr/ 19" Rr) does not apply anymore when I put on the 17" wheels. Does anyone have a handy link that explains this? Before anyone says anything ... I am also searching for this info on the site and on google

Last edited by mekatoka; 08-12-2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2009 | 04:45 AM
Ataru074

Now, I have decided that I want to go with 17"s but how do I know which sizes are safe for front / back on a track.
let me check....

they look and feel pretty safe....
Old 08-12-2009 | 04:51 AM
davidv

I just checked the wheels on Tirerack and it does not list 17" wheels for Nismo, it only gives me options for 18". I am assuming they are doing that as it is not the recommended size.

The following article from Tirerack scares the hell out of me
ARTICLE
It says that they show the recommended sizes after extensive testing of various parts.

Now, I have decided that I want to go with 17"s like Ataru074 but how do I know which offset and tire sizes are safe for front / back on a track. I have seen sticky threads that explain me how to check the variance between front and back tires circumference. But none tell me what's safe or not.

Also, I understand that an offset changes when I change the size of the wheels. In other words the offset that I had on my stock wheels (18" Fr/ 19" Rr) does not apply anymore when I put on the 17" wheels. Does anyone have a handy link that explains this? Before anyone says anything ... I am also searching for this info on the site and on google
17 inch wheels should be OK. Remember 17 inch OEM wheels clear Brembo brakes. You just have to be smart about offset. Try this calculator: http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html
Old 08-12-2009 | 05:03 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting
Premier Member

front bumper...so mean...so cold...so ******* nice...

I got nothing meaning full for this thread...

Quick Reply: Suggestions needed for Track Wheels on 350Z Nismo