Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Ground location for receiver

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 12:36 PM
jerseydawg2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ground location for receiver

I have just about finished with my audio project, but am getting a pretty accessory whine through the receiver. I ran the ground to the common ground location behind the mid-dash instrument panel.

Before I spend some cash on a ground loop device, I was wondering if anyone has ever just ran a 10 gauge cable straight to the negative terminal on the battery to eliminate ground loop interference? I have an extra amp cable going through the firewall that I am not using and I was thinking about running it to ground the receiver straight to the battery instead of removing it.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:17 AM
dannichols

I ran my HU ground to an open screwhole down near where the white box mounts behind the AC controls. No whine at all. Are you sure you have the Amp properly grounded?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:00 PM
jerseydawg2000

Originally posted by dannichols
I ran my HU ground to an open screwhole down near where the white box mounts behind the AC controls. No whine at all. Are you sure you have the Amp properly grounded?
Prior to putting the receiver in I was using the same amp to drive my component set off the non-Bose headunit. No whine. In one day I installed the Pioneer deck, rear sub, wired the rear mid range speakers to the amp, and moved the amp to the glove box.

I've got the amp power cable in the sill along the passenger side and the receiver's RCA feeds and front speaker wiring running down the center console. This didn't seem to be a problem earlier, but then again I was only using 1 RCA feed down that center console...now I have 3 feeds.

I did happen to move the amp's ground about 18" toward the midline of the car when I moved the amp; I forgot all about that. I'll have to go through the Crutchfield flow chart to troubleshoot the exact cause before I go ripping out the dash again. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:05 PM
dannichols

Good ideas. I have 2 sets of RCA down the center and one along the left side of car. There are stock ground points along both I noticed but probably not enough juice to cause interference. Try troubleshooting one piece at a time. ie: remove one set of RCA's and see if still there. Are you grounding inside the cubby behind the driver seat? If so, the brackets hanging down worked well for me
Old 01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
jerseydawg2000

Good ideas. I have 2 sets of RCA down the center and one along the left side of car. There are stock ground points along both I noticed but probably not enough juice to cause interference. Try troubleshooting one piece at a time. ie: remove one set of RCA's and see if still there. Are you grounding inside the cubby behind the driver seat? If so, the brackets hanging down worked well for me
Yeah, I am grounded to the frame that the stock subwoofer bracket bolts into.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:13 PM
dannichols

Dude, you got me wondering what the heck it could be. My ground points are the two metal brackets hanging in the back of the cubby in case you wanted to try there. By moving it to the back you can keep it away from the RCA's copming in from the center column. Do your RCA cables come in close proximity with any of the Amps power or ground wires??

Do you have good quality RCA's?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:28 AM
the7ferret

make sure the HU is properly grounded. I noticed that out HU dosent have a good ground when you plug it into the wire harness. I grounded it to the grounding location next to the 3 guage cluster at the top.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:38 PM
dannichols

Ferret do you have a pic of that spot. I put mine to a blank hole near the A/C control unit (white box) but wonder if there is a better spot. Did you add it to a spot that already had some ground wires in it?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:37 PM
jerseydawg2000

Dude, you got me wondering what the heck it could be. My ground points are the two metal brackets hanging in the back of the cubby in case you wanted to try there. By moving it to the back you can keep it away from the RCA's copming in from the center column. Do your RCA cables come in close proximity with any of the Amps power or ground wires??

Do you have good quality RCA's?
My RCAs run parallel to the ground for about 6". The RCAs come down the center console and pass left underneath the glove box. The ground crosses over to the driver-side cubby. When the snow melts off the car next week, I think I will pull the ground on the amp and run it down to the chassis lateral to the passenger seat. I'll let you know what I find.

I thought the whine was because I grounded the receiver to the common ground point behind the 3 gauge instrument cluster in the mid-dash, but "the7ferret" indicates he grounded his receiver there with no problems.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:43 PM
dannichols

If possible you may want to try possitioning your amps in a way that seperates the grounds and RCAs. I put both my amps lengthwise with the RCA and gain setting in the front and the power and speaker wires in the back. I run the main power cable along the back end of the cubby and the 3 RCA sets (6 foot only) run along the console and directly into the front of the amp. They don't come anywhere near the ground or power wires which are both near the back of the cubby (grounds go straight up to the hanging brackets. I also spot tied the speaker wires along the underside of the cubby top to keep them away from power/grnd. Good luck. I moved out here from upstate New York so I know how that snow can be.

Dan
Old 01-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by the7ferret
make sure the HU is properly grounded. I noticed that out HU dosent have a good ground when you plug it into the wire harness. I grounded it to the grounding location next to the 3 guage cluster at the top.
+1
Old 01-22-2005, 12:47 AM
the7ferret

No pic sorry and im not gonna fight my HU to get a pic. Right behind where the 3 guage cluster there is a factory ground I tied it in there. around where the wires for the guage cluster comes from.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

its very hard to miss with the dash off