Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

FM Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 07:22 PM
Grey Matter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FM Modulator

Has anyone hooked up a FM Modulator (to use with a MP3 player) to the Bose stereo (keeping everything else stock)?
Old 11-18-2002, 05:50 AM
anthony

Not yet, but I am getting a Clarion FM Modulator from eBay and installing it myself as soon as it comes in.

I am going to install the RCA Connections and On/Off Switch in the center glove box.

I looked into other ways to connect to the stock stereo. There currently appears to be no other solution.

At some point, if you buy a CD Changer, you may be able to buy a bypass to hook up your MP3, but even though that would sound better, it would cost a lot more.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:14 AM
nlauri

Can you tell me if the remote that comes with the mp3 players like the neo or archos will work on the fm modulator or would you still have to place your mp3 player somewhere where the remote could access it. Also do you know if the volume changes from song to song in these portable mp3 players?Thanx!!

Waiting patiently till Feb.......NOT

lemans sunset touring burnt orange 6mt all options but NAV on order
Old 11-18-2002, 07:48 AM
ZIV

Default Another option...

Check out the new Sony 10-disk changer. It plays audio CDs and CD-R/RW with mp3 tracks. It has its own rf modulator. 10 disks hold a lot of tracks!

I mounted one in the compartment behind the passenger seat and put the remote in the nav compartment. Looks/works great. I paid $235 for the whole thing.

HTH

Steve
Old 11-18-2002, 08:05 AM
Grey Matter

Default Re: Another option...

Originally posted by ZIV
Check out the new Sony 10-disk changer. It plays audio CDs and CD-R/RW with mp3 tracks. It has its own rf modulator. 10 disks hold a lot of tracks!

I mounted one in the compartment behind the passenger seat and put the remote in the nav compartment. Looks/works great. I paid $235 for the whole thing.

HTH

Steve
Do you have the Bose system? How well does it fit in the compartment (do you have pictures)?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:07 AM
Grey Matter

Originally posted by anthony
Not yet, but I am getting a Clarion FM Modulator from eBay and installing it myself as soon as it comes in.

I am going to install the RCA Connections and On/Off Switch in the center glove box.

I looked into other ways to connect to the stock stereo. There currently appears to be no other solution.

At some point, if you buy a CD Changer, you may be able to buy a bypass to hook up your MP3, but even though that would sound better, it would cost a lot more.

Good luck.
Please let me know how it comes out.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:18 AM
ZIV

Default Pics? Nope, not yet...

I do not have the Bose system, but it doesn't matter for hooking it up. The modulator has a relay box (tiny) that inserts in the antenna lead.

I put it "sideways" in the compartment so that it is easy to get to the cartridge from the driver's seat (like 130 CDs-worth of tunes might not be enough), so it leaves quite a bit of room there.

The remote is pretty small, so I put a piece of brushed aluminum across the front of the nav compartment to mount it. I made this piece half the height of the opening so I can put stuff behind it, like my sunglasses that won't fit in the overhead.

I'll take some pics and post them.

Steve
Old 11-18-2002, 08:24 AM
Grey Matter

Default Steve

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing pics. Please include one of the FM mod install if you have it. Also how hard was it to do the install?
Old 11-18-2002, 05:43 PM
ZIV

Default Here ya go...

This is the wired remote (there is also a wireless remote if you want to use it). The wire goes through a small hole in the plastic strip just in front of the remote. The aluminum plate is secured with double-stick tape. There is room behind the plate for "stuff."

The rf modulator itself is in the changer unit; there is a cable that runs to a 1X1X1 relay box. That box plugs into the radio where the antenna was, and the antenna plugs into the relay box. It is really easy once you have the dash apart. Get the diagrams from the service manual (the dealer gave them to me).

The trim around the shifter snaps on - there are no screws. Disconnect the heater controls - I didn't take the shift **** off, I just turned the panel out of the way.

The rest of the dash comes apart with screws, some on the bottom and two under the rubber mat in the nav compartment. Two of the ones on the bottom release the heater control box. The important part is that the radio comes out with the main fascia! It is kinda heavy, and, after you remove the gauge connector, lifts up to remove it.

Wiring is then easy, connecting to constant power and switched power. Feed the wires through the center console (5 screws and lift up), and the bottom of the rear "glove box" lifts out - you can make a small hole to run the wires to the changer. The wires show because I wanted the changer door toward the front.

I used the normal mounting bracket in front, and used a screw and nut on the back, threaded into the mounting hole of the changer. I drilled the back of the plastic box for the end of the screw to slip through; it secures the back of the changer.

That gets it. It is easy if you take it slow.

HTH.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails FM Modulator-dash.jpg  
Old 11-18-2002, 05:44 PM
ZIV

Default Other pic...

Here's the other picture.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails FM Modulator-changer.jpg