Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose owners file your complaint here

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Smyrna350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The last of it

I feel the same way but also feel that's the last I'm going to hear from them or anyone else.

My dealership service manager took a ride in my car and another newer Z and said mine works just like the newer Z's. So, he's telling me things are fine too.

I'm not finished yet!
Old 01-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Inzane

Here's a copy of the letter I posted at Bose's site. Each of us that are dissapointed with the system should make both Bose and Nissan aware of our displeasure. I also agree that it's 'just' a "$30K" automobile and we shouldn't expect $100K options - BUT, if Bose, or any other partner claims to have a premium option - by God it better be premium...

"I recently purchased a 2003 Nissan 350Z Touring model with the 'premium' Bose sound system. Needless to say, I was extremely excited anticipating the rich tones I thought would engulf me. Unfortunately, I was considerably dissapointed. I can't believe this is a product Bose feels deserves their trademark name and reputation.

I am extremely satisfied with the purchase of my vehicle, however, one of the BIGGEST enticements to selecting the Touring model was the 'premium' Bose system. I am completely unsatisified with your system. It lacks any ability to adequately manipulate analog signals to provide rich lows, deep midrange, and clear highs. When playing digital music, e.g., CDs, the sound is much better but still lacks the "bottom, mid, and highs" one would expect from Bose products.

I certainly hope you provide a solution to all of us that were expecting a Bose-quality product and work with Nissan to ensure the problem is corrected and that future partnerships are executed as true craftsmen..."
Old 01-06-2003, 03:54 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default No response...yet.

I contacted Bose via the weblink provided in this thread, over a week ago. To this point, I am still waiting to hear back from Bose. I did get a call from Nissan on Friday from one of their complaint reps, and when I called back, he was not available. I filled out a customer survey a month ago, and made sure I mentioned my poor paint quality, hairs in my paint, bumper waviness, and crappy Bose system.

I will be spilling the beans to them today or sometime this week, when I hear back from them.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:19 AM
carlmock

why dont you guys contact other sources such as Motor Trend or your local newspapers... CC Nissan and Bose and see what happens then...

It seems that once you scare them by going to the press they end up listening a little closer..

I dont own a Z so I cant do anything about it..

good luck..
carl
Old 01-06-2003, 11:06 AM
brickyardfan

Angry Lousy Bose system

I have been following the Bose threads off and on for a while. I ordered my Z on 9/7 and have no feedback from the dealer at all. I ordered a Touring model with every available option including the NAV. So, I am a pending owner who knows that he is going to be totally dissatisfied with the Bose system.

I was aware of a supposed fix for the AudioPilot problem. Apparently, based on the latest threads here, the "solution" was to replace the amp which apparently doesn't really fix anything.

I suggest that every single one of you who already own the car get together and send NNA and Bose a detailed letter indicating your total dissatisfaction with the system. You should also include each of your names, addresses, phone numbers, VIN numbers, etc. I would indicate what if any repairs have already been completed and that they fixed nothing. Perhaps one of the moderators here could set up a private forum to accomplish this so that your personal information remains confidential.

I would also suggest something to the effect that unless a satifactory resolution or commitment to a satisfactory solution isn't forthcoming that a letter will be sent to the editor of every single major automobile magazine. In that letter you should loudly complain about the Bose system and indicate how many of you are collectively represented by the letter. Further, you should also indicate that the Nissan/Bose fix for the Bose problems fix nothing.

This is probably being naive on my part but perhaps the threat of significant negative publicity should get them off of their collective as*es.

Tom

Last edited by brickyardfan; 01-06-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:15 AM
grogsnorf

Actually, there is nothing that can be done..............don't listen to the radio or get a new system................Nissan\Bose will not replace or rebate........try the fix if you wish..........I tried everything....................we all could uninstall the Bose and have a bond fire..Bose burning party and invite Motortrend.....hmmmm now thats an idea............
Old 01-07-2003, 05:19 AM
brickyardfan

Angry Bose problems

grogsnorf:

Fortunately, or unfortunately perhaps, I have not had an opportunity to hear the Bose system in the Z. I have had other Bose systems in my other cars and I was always impressed with them. It's hard to believe that this one is so bad. Do you have an opinion as to what the primary cause is? Is it that they designed the AudioPilot into the system and as a result the entire system sucks? I have seen other threads that indicate that the system sounds very good when you're sitting still but as soon as the vehicle is in motion where the AudioPilot is hearing ambient sounds that the system goes to hell. Do you agree with this?

I haven't been told yet when my car is going to be delivered BUT if the Bose system really sounds like hell to me I wonder if I would just let them sell the car to someone else and get my deposit back? I realize doing that would be pretty extreme but I don't see any reason to spend over $37k (every option was ordered including the NAV) and have any problem at all but especially in the audio system as I am constantly listening to CDs.

Tom
Old 01-07-2003, 05:51 AM
onecoolee

Default a few opinions why the Bose suxxx...

Here is a brief list, but I think this covers the basic flaws:

1. Audio Pilot is not defeatable (we should be able to turn this off)
2. Crappy speakers (all are paper coned cheap-o's)
3. Poor/lacking system control (bass/treble only, no equalization)
4. Low powered class D amps (these could be alot better). These amps are efficient, but maybe not the best designed, or best sounding amps. Find some pictures and you will be surprised at their size, trust me...especially check out the sub amp--very disappointing...

I feel that even with the factory Bose Head unit, this system could have sounded ALOT better with only an audio pilot defeat switch, better quality subwoofer driver, and more control over the sound at the front. There are alot of things killing the sound quality in the Z, and my list is in order of importance (in my opinion).
Old 01-07-2003, 05:52 AM
BigZ

Default I Told J.D. Power Bose System Sucks

I just filled out the questionaire from J.D. Power on the 350Z and detailed the problem with the Bose and that I am very dissatisfied with it.

Hope this helps. But, I'm basically already looking at ripping the damn thing out! I'm frustrated and I don't believe anything else will be done.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:02 AM
onecoolee

I just got off the phone with Nissan customer service concerning my initial survey where I complains about orange peel, hairs in my paint, poor rear bumper fit, and crappy Bose stereo. I am still waiting to hear from Bose...

It looks like nothing will be done by Nissan concerning the Bose, as they recommended I get the amp replaced and according to everyone hear in this forum, that doesn't fix the problem. Apparently that new amp will only put a band-aid over the problem.

I already have a nice system planned as its becoming more and more apparent that we will all need to fix the problem ourselves or shut up and continue to deal with it...

Here is my upgrade thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/15183-my-planned-video-and-audio-upgrades.html
Old 01-07-2003, 04:35 PM
robert3127

I also got my questionnaire from JD Power and blasted Bose and Nissan for lack of customer support. Nissan told me to call back in a few weeks. Now the person ( david) will not return phone calls after you leave a message. I live in Texas and plan to send the Texas Attorney General office a quesiton on the legality of replacing parts on a new car with refurburbished parts as the recall notice mentioned. Everyone needs to call in on auto talk shows in their area to let people know about the situation and how Nissan cares about its customers.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Ron Zarza

I picked up my Touring Z on 12/13. Upon listing to the system and reading all the negative comments on this forum I went to the dealer and complained about the system. They told me that the problem fix was already done at the factory. I already had the new amp. I don't have any auto pilot problems but I think a 240 watt - 7 speaker system should sound better than this. So even after the factory installed fix is done for all of you "soon to be getting guys", I don't think you will be happy with the sound system. I also think that it is not a reason to cancel an order because that is the ONLY complaint that you will have with this car. I stated my negative comments in my NNA survey and that is about all we are going to be able to do, but lets keep doing it and who knows???
Old 01-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Leon's Z

While the radio's shortcomings may be something for us to "get over", I still think that we paid for a working "upgraded" system and they fell short on their promise.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the car. It's the sound system and the poor responsiveness to this issue is of greater concern.

This by the way is AUTOMOBILE magazine's "Car of the Year".

They must have gotten the Track model.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:25 PM
grebmohr

Default Just informed BOSE...

I just sent the electronic letter to BOSE informing them of my dissatisfaction with this system. I include it here for your reading enjoyment.
Please excuse the gratuitous patriotism. Amar Bose is an American, BOSE is an American company and I am sick of laziness and political correctness.

1st thing 1st- there is nothing insensitive about having United States pop up as the default country. Would seem a far better choice than Afghanistan. It is a .com site you know.

I am the owner of '03 Nissan 350Z s/n 009966. I am completely unhappy with the audio performance in my car. I had a Bose in my '92 Z and besides burning out amps, it was great. This system has no clarity and no mid bass at all. The Subwoofer is either too much or not enough at all. I find it hard to believe your engineers even listened to this system before you put your name on it. Radio music it unlistenable. CDs are fair at best and there is but a small window of listenability between no definition and screaming distortion.

Also I think you were supposed to design a 260 watt stereo system... mine may have about 50 max.
Please come up with a fix for this system. Being in manufacturing, I know screw ups can be embarrasing and costly but I pay the fiddler when I make a mistake. Also make a mod. for the audio pilot system so we can turn it off. It really does not work. In the mean time, how can we defeat the Audio pilot system? insulation on mic, cut mic wires, add a shunt across mic leads? Help please!

I hope everyone makes BOSE and Nissan aware of the sorry stereo they put in our cars.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:47 AM
Zay

I just sent my complaint to Bose this morning. I will also call NNA Consumer Affairs and register a complaint with them. Let's hope something gives!

Funny thing is; last night my wife drove the car (she doesn't drive it that often) and when she got back home she complained to hi Heaven about the Bose!!! So daddy gotta make it better!

Lets keep the pressure on 'em guys!
Old 01-12-2003, 12:29 PM
golfer11

Default Goint to get my "FIX"

Well it's taken over 3 months, but I finally am going to get the supposed "fix" to the Bose problem tomorrow. They are doing a couple of other things and said they'll need to car for a few days. I'm thinking about blowing out all the speakers in my home stereo and the wife's car and listening to those stereos for a few days. Maybe then the "fix" will sound good to me.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:41 PM
brickyardfan

Angry

golfer11:

Would you let those of us who haven't yet taken delivery EXACTLY what was done to "fix" the problem and if you notice any real difference? I have heard that all that is being done is to replace the amp when others have suggested that the problem is primarily with that apparently ill-conceived AudioPilot. IF it really is an AudioPilot then from all objective accounts, it crashed and burned on takeoff and has in some probably small way tarnished the reputations of Nissan and Bose.

It's really hard to believe that they can't fix the problem. I think that the reasons that they won't fix the problem is because of the arrogance of Nissan and Bose in admitting that there is a problem and the cost of properly fixing the problem.

As I said in an earlier message, I have had Bose systems in other cars that I have owned and I have been impressed with them and thought that they were worth the extra cost.

Tom
Old 01-12-2003, 01:02 PM
golfer11

I'll let you know what they do, but I believe it will just be replacing the amp as everyone else has said they did and it will improve slightly, but certainly not to the extent that it should. Right now I'd be happy with the base system's quality, but I doubt I'll even get that good.

Was looking to replace the whole system, even had some money set aside, then the wife forgot which pedal was the brake and which was the accelerator when she was pulling into the garage(relax - it was her car not the Z). But she did manage to take out the garage wall and some cabinets and some shelves and on the other side of the wall was our master bathroom which is a bit of a mess too.

The good side of this is that she's now afraid to park her car in the garage, so I park the Z diagonaly in the middle - lots of room with only one car in there.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:07 PM
ATL350Z

I have a stack of Bose crap in my closet, and it isn't even worth the space it is taking up. I should just throw it all out...

I have an appointment at my dealer on Tuesday to be interviewed by some Nissan people from Japan... at least that is what I have been told. I'm going to make sure they know how I feel about the Blose fiasco, and if they take my advice there is going to be a Bose engineer somewhere with a boot up his ***.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:15 PM
brickyardfan

ATL350Z:

It will be VERY interesting to hear what they tell you and commit to fixing. What surprises me a bit is that this is apparently such a horrendous cluster f**K that a lot of people at Nissan and Bose were stupid or arrogant enough to think that we would take this crap. I don't even have my car yet and I'm REALLY pissed about it. Seems to me that there aren't enough boots around to stick up all the as*es of the people at Nissan and Bose that apparently deserve it.

I have heard that several different manufacturers have components in the complete system. Clarion for the radio, Bose for the amp and (?) speakers and someone else (Clarion again maybe?) for the CD changer.

Quick Reply: Bose owners file your complaint here