Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose owners file your complaint here

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 03:06 AM
ATL350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by brickyardfan
I have heard that several different manufacturers have components in the complete system. Clarion for the radio, Bose for the amp and (?) speakers and someone else (Clarion again maybe?) for the CD changer.
I'll keep you guys posted, but I don't expect anything out of it especially since I have already trashed the stock stuff. It will be hard to get any kind of compensation, and my fix is more complete than anything that Bose could come up with.

You are correct about the components, but the problem seems to be strictly confined to the Bose components. It is my understanding that the headunits are standard stock stuff and make a good sound spectrum. The Audiopilot and the overall crappy sound quality is entirely a product of Bose corporation.

I wonder if they lurk this board? If so, it might help them to know that I will NEVER purchase a Bose product for home or car now. In fact, when giving recommendations on home equipment I specificaly steer all my friends away from Bose because of this fiasco. Yes, I know this has nothing to do with their automotive department, but if you are going to stamp your name on a substandard product then you are going to have to expect this.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Leon's Z

Default BOSE Called Back

I never thought that I would receive a return call from the folks at BOSE. They offered no real help but the person on the phone said that he would call my dealer to speak with the technician about my situation. [radio just doesn't come on for about the 1st hour in the car, and then I have all of the usual stuff (AudioPilot problems.]

I'm not encouraged and will be looking for neat replacement system. My only concern is how the NAV voice will work with another system.

Just another challenge...
Old 01-13-2003, 11:57 AM
brickyardfan

Angry

Leon's Z:

How do you like the NAV system? I believe that it is DVD-based unlike a lot of other Nissan NAV systems in their other cars which are CD-based, right?

The NAV system in the Mercedes S500 is excellent. The voice sounds like that there is someone sitting in the car with you. Is the Nissan NAV that good? Is the Nissan NAV a turn-by-turn type of NAV? I understand that it is not touch sensitive like some of the other Nissan CD-based systems. Is that correct?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:23 PM
iris

Default My Bose complaint

To whom it may concern:

I recently purchased a Nissan 350Z Touring model with the Bose 6-speaker audio system already installed.

The music quality from the radio is horrible. The bass is overemphasized and muddies the clarity of the sound. However, when the bass controls are adjusted down, this gets rid of all bass and the music quality sounds like crap.

Simply put, the Aiwa boombox I have on my desk has better sound. This is not the quality I would expect from a Bose system.

I plan on contacting Nissan Motors Corporation with this complaint as well. Perhaps the 2 companies could work together to fix this problem. It would be most convenient if there was a general recall, rather than forcing every single
unhappy owner to formally file a complaint with both corporations. Such a product deficiency, coming from 2 well-respected names in their individual industries (after all, we're not talking about [name of crappy audio system]/Kia or Hyundai
here), creates poor word-of-mouth and will affect each corporation's customer loyalty, strength of brand name, and good will.

Thank you very much.

Iris

I'M IN FOR ANY COLLECTIVE ACTION or fixes, just let me know.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

Brickyardfan,

The Nav system is DVD based. It does not have a touch screen. It has taken me on some rather random routes to get to my destination, but all in all it works fine.

When you ignore it, and miss a turn, it very quickly recalculates a new route rather than directing you to make a u turn and go back.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Leon's Z

Default Hey Brickyard

Although off topic, the NAV system is incredible. It is not a touch screen, but the controls are easily accessible and conveniently located in front of the screen. You'll love it and regret not having it if you don't order it.

My concern is the link between the faulty BOSE sound system replacement and the NAV system. NAV works through the BOSE amp, and if one were to replace the BOSE system, how would that effect the NAV voice system?

Hope mentioning the BOSE link brought us back on topic.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:56 AM
ScottC

Thumbs up

Done, thanks for providing this link!
Old 01-15-2003, 05:18 AM
grogsnorf

I already got rid of my 301s and told most of my family the premium Bose sound saga and I did not buy the 901s for xmas.
I don't have to endorse or purchase the Bose product anymore.......sad I used to love them.................not whining
just boycotting.....................Grogs
Old 01-15-2003, 05:45 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default About NAVI integration...

This is a response to Leon's Z post above...

Yes, I feel the same way you do about the NAV system...although it's not touchscreen, it is VERY nice ! It's easy to set, works flawlessly, and is very reliable (so far). I LOVE IT! I feel it was worth the extra cash I forked over for it.

Now, as far as NAVI integration goes, the NAV is NOT integrated into the BOSE amp, only the head unit (clarion). The FSM shows 4 I/O lines from the Nav control unit that is directly connected to the head unit. These same controls are probably similar to the way aftermarket nav systems function.

In my honest opinion, I feel the head unit in the Bose system is OK, not superb, not really bad either. The only things its lacking is more EQ controls, and not just bass and treble level control. The speakers on the other hand, are TOTAL JUNK. They are paper, lifeless, pieces of crap. Anyone who has replaced their Bose system speakers can vouch for this and will most likely agree. I feel that Nissan/Bose/Clarion (whoever) can make a new amp, and replace both amps in the car, but until they upgrade the speakers, the system will still suck. The speakers are the most important part of any stereo, and that is why the Bose system in the Z sounds horrible. The amp is just ok, definitely not great, but not substandard either. No factory amp will ever perform like an aftermarket amp does.

My suggestion to anyone with the Bose system in their Z is to upgrade their system in this order...

1. Upgrade the front speakers
2. Upgrade the subwoofer, and subwoofer amp.
3. Upgrade the front amplification (no more audio pilot)
4. Upgrade rear speakers is lowest on the list

Upgrade the HU as a last resort, so that you don't have to worry about losing the nav integration, or worry about how to integrate it into a different HU.

The bottom line is that you can repalce the amp with a nice, and powerful aftermarket amp like a Phoenix GOld or Rockford Fosgate, without screwing with the NAV integration.

See my thread on my planned upgrades, if you want to know what I have planned, but if there was any chance of screwing up the nav's integration into the audio, I would not be doing any audio upgrades at all, as I feel the nav is great.

My planned upgrades thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/15183-my-planned-video-and-audio-upgrades.html
Old 01-15-2003, 08:08 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Default mod suggestions question

You mentioned in your mods that you would replace the front amplification to get rid of the audiopilot deal. Is the audiopilot part of the front amp or within the HU? If replacing the front amp gets rid of the pilot problems then your mods should fix the problem without replacing the HU.

Has anyone installed an eq with amps and speakers to the original HU. Seems like with an additional eq before the new amps one should be able to "tune" the system to the car better. That is unless the signal out of the Blose HU doesn't contain the essential frequencies to allow proper post equilization.

zh.guitar
Old 01-15-2003, 08:25 AM
onecoolee

Default Some clarification...

The Audio Pilot Microphone connects directly to the Bose system's main amp (it has not connection to the HU). Therefore, it has an effect on the entire system. Essentially, the HU outputs the signal to the amp, then the amp essentially goes through a signal processing routine, depending on what the Audio Pilot output is telling it to do (stupid frequency compensation idea). The main amp then sends the filtered (crossed over) low end signal to the sub amp. So, getting rid of the Bose main amp will definitely eliminate any audio pilot issues as it would be bypassed. Getting rid of the rear speakers, or leaving them disconnected would not hurt either, as long as you have a well setup front stage with nice amplification and solid seperates. However, any traces of the Bose factory amp, left connected, will still be impacted by the Audio Pliot compensation feature.

I will be installing an Audio Control EQX-II 13 band EQ in my setup, and I think that device will give me plenty of control over my equalization. I haven't found any specs on factory Bose (clarion) equipment, but I would think its typical 20Hz-20kHz bandwidth, like most manufacturers sell. I would love to see those specs, but good luck finding them !

...Speaking of which, is anyone interested in a set of MB Quart RCS216 6.5" seperates (6.5" midbass and 3/4" tweeter), that should be a perfect fit in the Z ? I ordered them and decided to use all JL Audio components instead...these are brand new and have never even been taken out of the box. I am open to offers (pm me).
Old 01-15-2003, 08:38 AM
mattvols

Look at all of the these complaints! Can't we just get one lawyer's name and number who will take all of our name's and numbers and start a class action lawsuit? Why are we even talking about taking out this system that we paid for at our own expenses and replace it at our own expenses? I hate to sue anyone, but obviously Nissan and Bose will not listen to us "little people", so I think more drastics steps need to be taken for a resolution to this matter.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:50 AM
onecoolee

I'd personally rather go after Bose...those Bastards won't even return my calls or messages. My last correspondence with them was over 1 month ago...I have always hated Bose, and my feelings are still the same...

At least Nissan has listened to me, and said that something is in the works...I don't know who to believe anymore.

I would love to jump on the class action lawsuit bandwagon and get some money back, since I know that Nissan probably isn't going to do much in the way of fixing this entire ugly problem. A few bucks would be nice, and at least I could put it towards the install I have planned...which will be NICE !
Old 01-15-2003, 09:59 AM
SeanRod

I agree. So many of us are complaining, but not really doing anything about it as a group. I am up for taking the complaints to the next level, but I am not sure how to proceed. I suggest getting a petition going that we could mail to Nissan/Bose corporate. Please let me know how we can get the ball rolling on this. Please no flamers, just people that want something done about this HUGE problem.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Smyrna350

Default Count me in!!

Hey, count me in on the petition or class action suit. All I’ve been doing is complaining too so I’m as guilty as the next person. I have the replacement amp (installed end of November) but as it’s been said many times, that’s only part of the overall problem.

If someone out there knows how to proceed I’m in too!!
Old 01-15-2003, 04:18 PM
N74DV

I'd be in for the petition.....
Old 01-15-2003, 08:54 PM
ppw350Z

just brainstorming a little, a mass email is an idea with everyones email address. if someone would compose an email to nissan and bose in a professional manor. i will try and compose it myself but i'm sure there are people on here much better with their termonology. and i'm going to make a poll to see how many dissatisifed bose/nissan customers there are. from all the posts on this there has to be over 100 of us on this forum alone.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:59 AM
grogsnorf

I agree to this idea.........Please add me to the mass email
fidsdern@hotmail.com
Old 01-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Ron Zarza

Default Mass E-mail

You can count me in.
E-mail debron@optonline.net
Old 01-16-2003, 05:02 PM